How to have an hourglass body shape?

Options
What kind of exercises do I need to do?

Replies

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    i dont think you can make yourself have an hourglass shape - think women are naturally apple pear, hourglass etc.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    You can't change you genetics through exercise, so nothing. If you are Apple shaped, you will be more or less Apple shaped until you die. You can be a skinny Apple, or a fat Apple, but you will still be an apple.

About the only thing you can do is work on building some serious muscle in areas where you are flat... If you are Apple shaped, you would try to build some crazy leg and glute muscles... But you aren't going to do that on a deficit. You would have to switch to a lifters diet and hit the weights.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Uh...change your genetics?
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    #1 is genetics. That being said, you can work towards building your butt and having a slim waist. Do glute and leg exercises for muscle, cut down to reduce bodyfat %. You can go on bulk and cut cycles (bulk to build muscle in glutes and legs, cut to trim fat and reduce waist size).
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You can change your shape a bit through weight loss and strength training. It's not really that easy though. For example...when I first started losing weight I was 34, 29, 44. After weight loss with strength training I was 32, 26, 37...still a pear, BUT now I'm bulking and have gained a little muscle in my shoulders/arms which gives me less of of the appearance of a pear.
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Choose the right parents.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You can change your shape a bit through weight loss and strength training. It's not really that easy though. For example...when I first started losing weight I was 34, 29, 44. After weight loss with strength training I was 32, 26, 37...still a pear, BUT now I'm bulking and have gained a little muscle in my shoulders/arms which gives me less of of the appearance of a pear.

This is true. Weight loss and strength training changed my shape. I was more "apple" shaped, but lifting combined with weight loss has helped give me a curvy hourglass look.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Pick your parents well. I am tall, long and lean, when fit I am pretty much straight up and down because hips are slim, my frame is straight up and down, there's no hourglass happening by natural means. Sleek not curvy. Can get great legs, a nice butt, great shoulders and arms but the middle will not suddenly become smaller in proportion to everything else.

That's genetic in my experience, either you have enough space between ribs and hips, and a ribcage that tapers in, and wide hipbones, or you don't. It's not fat vs thin, I know fat hourglass ladies and a few thin ones too.

• arditarose
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

This is true. Weight loss and strength training changed my shape. I was more "apple" shaped, but lifting combined with weight loss has helped give me a curvy hourglass look.

Nice! Yes, it has taken quite a bit of time but now I'm almost done with a bulk and for the first time in my life someone said "You have more of an hour glass shape now"...I was stunned. I went home and looked and thought...wow, I do look way more proportional now.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I was a smallish hourglass shape before I lost weight and now I'm the shape of a 16 year old boy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • arditarose
    Options
    I was a smallish hourglass shape before I lost weight and now I'm the shape of a 16 year old boy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Please. You have a great physique.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Sorry, you either have it or you don't. Although many overweight Apple shapes do discover eventually that they have a waist.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:(

I appreciate it. I've just been sensitive due to some comments lately about how I've lost my curves. I've definitely lost most of what I had on my chest.
  • arditarose
    Options

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:(

I appreciate it. I've just been sensitive due to some comments lately about how I've lost my curves. I've definitely lost most of what I had on my chest.

I heard those comments at one point as well. People say weird inappropriate things about our bodies...

• tatersalad80
    tatersalad80 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would just like to say that I feel that the whole curvy hourglass craze is so overrated. I am banana shaped with boobs just because I had to fork the money over for them. People are being brainwashed because overweight women who celebrate huge butts have hijacked the media. Be healthy, lift weights and eat well. Forget what dumb people have to say about YOUR body. Everyone's opinion is based on what they see on TV and what is being preached to them as "sexy". I am so over obese women flaunting their "curves" all over the media and the people who eat it up faster than you can say photoshop.

If you are curvy, great. If you are not, great. I guarantee you your body type is perfect just for you. Be healthy and fit to feel good and screw what other people say.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I would just like to say that I feel that the whole curvy hourglass craze is so overrated. I am banana shaped with boobs just because I had to fork the money over for them. People are being brainwashed because overweight women who celebrate huge butts have hijacked the media. Be healthy, lift weights and eat well. Forget what dumb people have to say about YOUR body. Everyone's opinion is based on what they see on TV and what is being preached to them as "sexy". I am so over obese women flaunting their "curves" all over the media and the people who eat it up faster than you can say photoshop.

If you are curvy, great. If you are not, great. I guarantee you your body type is perfect just for you. Be healthy and fit to feel good and screw what other people say.

Ummm...I'm not really going to touch on this at the moment, besides to mention that you don't have to be obese or even overweight to have an hourglass figure. There's also nothing wrong with liking or preferring the figure, though it doesn't mean you're going to magically get it
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I am banana shaped with boobs

Banana shaped? lol.
    92772.jpg

Do you walk around being the C in YMCA alot then?

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I am banana shaped with boobs

Banana shaped? lol.
    92772.jpg

Do you walk around being the C in YMCA alot then?

Banana shaped = ruler shaped = rectangle shaped

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I was an apple, now a rectangle.
    I'll never be an hourglass, which is a good job as I wouldn't know what to do with all those curves.
    I love my shape.

Cheers, h.
  • vms4evr
    vms4evr Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    eringurl33 wrote: »
    Choose the right parents.

LOL! Ding, ding, ding... and you win the Jeopardy question of the day.

Killing yourself dieting and exercising won't make this the way you want. And that's not only the ladies. Guys have shapes and sizes they would like to be. And genetics says not for you dude. Maybe in your next life... Make the best of what you have as best as you can so you are happy or at least content.