Gluten free, low carb, no egg breakfasts!

Options
Hi everyone,
I'm a type 1 diabetic, and have just been diagnosed with a gluten intolerance. It makes me feel absolutely horrific!
I'm looking for lower-carb, gluten free options for breakfasts. To add to the problem, I really don't like eggs, and I commute around 1.5 hours on public transport everyday so don't have much time to prepare anything.
Does anyone have any go-to ideas?
Thanks in advance! x

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    GF muffins, GF toast, fruit, gf pancakes, sausage and veggies.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Ham and cheese rolled up together, cottage cheese with sunflower seeds and pineapple, greek yogurt with nuts and berries mixed in.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be "breakfast" foods. What you can eat at other meals can also be eaten at breakfast.

Even though you don't like eggs have you tried making frittatas with lots of veggies so you don't have egg taste or texture? You can make mini muffin ones ahead of time with whatever veggies you can have as well as a little meat and/or cheese.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Meat. Leftover meat from last night's dinner.

Tuna or chicken salad. Use cucumber slices as "crackers".

Eggs are versatile. Look for other ways to cook them?
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    This is something Im very interested in knowing too! I got diagnosed last summer with a gluten intolerance and have managed to gain 2 stone!! (ironically I thought Id lose weight being sick!) I really struggle with choosing food and my diet appears very bland! (I also have to watch dairy intake as I have a slight intolerance there too!)

Right now I have a greek yogurt (not a great choice but quick to grab in the morning) and then a handful of homemade honey roast cashews by mid morning. Weekend I have stuffed peppers as I have more time to make and also sit and enjoy! I usually fill mine with scrambled egg, bacon and mushroom with a little grilled cheese on top!

Aside from that Im at a loss! SO will follow with interest!
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    You could think of breakfast as just another meal. Meat and veggies. I have chicken liver for breakfast a lot (Im on an egg kick now) usually with mushrooms, sweet potatoes and some greens. But you could also do hamburger, or chicken. Soup is pretty easy too.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    For easy portable meals there are several different types of bars. Epic bars are great. They come in several different flavors of meat. Kind bars are gluten free as are luna bars, you could even make ahead your own similar bars. Fruit pouches can come in handy (think baby food) or smoothies. Nuts, dried fruit, or veggies. You could even do a wrap. I love the paleo wrap and for a quick easy meal I keep already cooked bacon, or shredded chicken in the freezer. Put that on a wrap with avocado and some lettuce. Quick easy and good!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Think outside the box and eat things that aren't necessarily "breakfast" foods. As I type this I'm eating caesar salad; it's low carb and gluten free because I don't use croutons (I've been GF for about four years.) If you make food ahead of time then it's quick and easy to grab it for whatever meal you need. I meal prep for the week so I can just grab and go. :)
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    How low carb is low carb for you?
    I really like a smoothie (frozen fruit, greek yogurt, milk, protein powder) but it has 22g of carbs which is not super high but not super low.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Can you do Protein Shakes in the morning? You can even make your own instead of buying the pre-made ones in the can.

Also, don't think that you specifically need "traditional" breakfast foods for breakfast, nothing wrong with some lettuce wraps, or lunchmeat/cheese rolls, etc. I wouldn't load up on junky GF foods, they'll still have a potential negative impact on your blood sugars.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, forget about traditional breakfast foods. I went through a phase where I did salads with protein on them, and have often done leftovers from dinner.
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This morning I ate leftover roasted sweet potatoes, Brussel sprouts, and onion with a quarter avocado and a chicken apple sausage cut up with it. I often make a huge pan or 2 of roasted veggies to eat throughout the week with whatever protein or on a salad. Usually I have eggs with the veggies when I eat them at breakfast but the sausage sounded better today. I put a few tsp of tapatio on my meal and it was fantastic! Plus I can't imagine I'll be hungry for my snack I usually have before lunch!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Also GF here. I eat Think Thin or Pure Protein bars and a piece of fruit, Greek yogurt with fruit, cottage cheese and tomatoes or ham, cheese and avocado roll ups. I also do protein shakes with GF protein powder, milk and fruit. This recipe for spinach and quinoa cakes is delicious and can be made in big batches and frozen. I like the egg on top, but it is still good without it.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/06/quinoa-and-spinach-patties.html
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Tofu scrambles!
    Don't be scared by the idea of tofu - by scrambling it up with sriracha or tabasco, adding some veggies, the tofu is just there as a binding agent. Low carb, high protein, very filling and satisfying.

I'm personally rather partial to bean chili in the morning too, but I realise that's not for everyone!