My scale don't like me...

Options
I started on March 1 at 225 lbs on 3/9/16 I was 221 lbs. I weight myself today, I'm 225lbs. I'm eating right and walking. I started doing cardio workout on 3/12/16 and my measures are down. So why the scale say I gain back weight?

Replies

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    How many calories are you eating ?
    How old are you ?
    How tall are you ?
    Are you weighing and measuring everything ?
    Are you eating exercise calories - if so how are you getting the calorie amount worked out from ?
    Do you drink much water ?
    Are you measuring yourself ?o
    Do you eat processed foods?
    Are you consuming a lot salt-sodium?
    Any new medication ?
    Last time you tried to lose weight was ?
    Also it's only 2 weeks in.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    its not about doing more exercise (although that helps) ...its about eating less so you lose. Its time to look at how much you eat....and make changes.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    You are doing all the right things: #1. It might just be increased water retention due to the change in your activity: keep it up!! #2. Food scale. This is something I wish I had invested in from the get-go...finding out pre-packaged items were actually heavier (and thus higher in calories) than the individual serving size on the package stated BLEW my mind!
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Cookiecanwin2013 Your diary isn't open so not sure what you are eating or how you are logging but I would definitely start there. Also it's only been 2 weeks. Patience
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    haoflp181n7e.jpg

• Cookiecanwin2013
    Cookiecanwin2013 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @102b
    How many calories are you eating ?I'm on 1200 a day but usually about 800 to 1000 a day.
    How old are you ? 45 y/o
    How tall are you ? 5'2
    Are you weighing and measuring everything ? Yes..every week.
    Are you eating exercise calories - if so how are you getting the calorie amount worked out from ?No..Not sure
    Do you drink much water ? 6 to 8 glasses a day.
    Are you measuring yourself ? Yes
    Do you eat processed foods? Something..slowly cutting them out of my diet.
    Are you consuming a lot salt-sodium? Yes.,cutting it out too.
    Any new medication ? Yes.HBP
    Last time you tried to lose weight was ? last year this time.
    Also it's only 2 weeks in. I know...just need some encouragement.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    That person has spoken to me like this already today @MommyMeggo
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Well the good news is that you have already made alot of good changes :smile: and yes, it is early in your weight loss journey so cut yourself some slack.
    1200 a day should be the very minimum you eat, otherwise you aren't getting the nutrition you need.

That new medication could well be your issue ref the gain.

Keep on going and see what the next few weeks brings for you.

• spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Maybe to much salty foods?
  • ilovefastcarstoo
    ilovefastcarstoo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat but I'm upping my cals per day and changing my goal to 1 pound loss per week instead of 2. I was feeling way too tired. Sometimes you have to tweak things to get that good match for you. Glad you are on this journey with all of us! Feel free to ask questions. We all learn from eachother :) welcome to MFP!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Cookiecanwin2013 try not to take anyone replies/feed back personally - most of us that have been here for a while know what we're talking about and are inclined to say it as it is.
    It is a learning process for all of us and we all had to start somewhere.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options

I think you misunderstood this question - it refers to weighing and measuring food (not yourself). Especially if you have been at this a while, if you are not getting the results you want it is likely due to underestimating the quantity of food you are eating.

(At this stage, you're still early in the game - and it may well be just daily fluctuation. Weight loss is not linear - I can vary as much as 5 lbs within a given day.)

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    That person has spoken to me like this already today @MommyMeggo

Bummer. :(
    I suppose she is superior and all knowing.
    How dare someone post without first trying to self-help with the search tool. OP has been on MFP for just 14 days. May not even know it exists- and there are no pre-requisites to posting.

OP- Chin up! Keep going! We all have ebbs and flows with the scale. Measuring is a GREAT indication of progress!!! Even more than the numbers on the scale. Remember weight fluctuations A LOT from day to day.
    Think big picture- your long term goal and time frame, then your weekly fluctuations will be less troublesome!
    You are in GOOD company here despite the grouch-o up thread! Lots of great info on MFP!!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Cookie, this happened to me around my period last month (before it to be exact). I gained about 3 lbs and about a week or 10 days later they were gone and also the amount I was supposed to lose, I lost as well.

Don't worry. If you know you're doing the right thing and not cheating then you will lose the weight eventually. It just doesn't always happen consistently. Not for me at least. I'm supposed to lose 1lbs/week (at 1200cal and no exercise). I don't lose exactly this amount a week but since I eat consistently over the last 6 weeks I've lost on AVERAGE 1lbs/week.
  • mrsmessey
    mrsmessey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @102b
    How many calories are you eating ?I'm on 1200 a day but usually about 800 to 1000 a day.
    How old are you ? 45 y/o
    How tall are you ? 5'2
    Are you eating exercise calories - if so how are you getting the calorie amount worked out from ?No..Not sure
    Do you drink much water ? 6 to 8 glasses a day.
    Are you measuring yourself ? Yes
    Do you eat processed foods? Something..slowly cutting them out of my diet.
    Are you consuming a lot salt-sodium? Yes.,cutting it out too.
    Any new medication ? Yes.HBP
    Last time you tried to lose weight was ? last year this time.
    Also it's only 2 weeks in. I know...just need some encouragement.

Check your medication side effects... I recently started a new one and it made me gain weight... I almost lost it but it was just a side effect of the medication and I had to remind myself of that. A week or so after being on the meds, my weight came back down too.

Keep at what you are doing and you will see results. Do not eat less than 1200 unless your Doctor has you on a very strict specific diet that they are monitoring. I know it sounds backwards but eating a little more may boost weight loss... You got this!
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You've made a good start for sure! I would say that you'll need to up your calories to a minimum of 1200 a day in order to maintain a steady weight loss as a very low calorie diet can be hard to stick to and difficult for you to maintain your weight when you get to where you're going.

I would also add that high blood pressure medication is notorious for causing water retention so I would check the side effects on the packet for sure. If that is listed then make sure you keep well hydrated as it will help flush the extra lbs hopefully.

Good luck and stick with it- don't be demoralised by the idiotic scales!
  • mwood1234
    mwood1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I count all things as joy (James 1:2-3)

Yup, count it all joy!
  • Cookiecanwin2013
    Cookiecanwin2013 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I feel really good. I'm not tired and I have a lot more energy. I don't weight my food but I need to look/study into it. I was not feeling sorry for myself when I post just a little encouragement that all.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    wrote: »
    I count all things as joy (James 1:2-3)

Love your attitude!!!