Anyone kayak?

Options
I live near a large river and have wanted to try kayaking for ages. I'm finally at a weight where I think my hips will fit into the kayak so now I'm really researching.

what do you like/not like? how did you get started? what would you recommend for a beginner?

Replies

• jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Love it!! but only get to go on vacation when we rent a kayak (ocean and marsh kayaking is very cool)
    I would say if there is a guide/tour group you could start there, that would include the kayak and the tour of the area.
    An outdoor store might be able to help too (REI, or any local outdoor outfitters type place).
    Good Luck and have fun!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    No, but I would love to do it!! I'm far too chicken to do anything with rapids though, lol.
  • KelliB25
    KelliB25 Posts: 24
    Options
    I just got a kayak for my birthday and I love it!! The best advice that I can give you is to find a dealer that does demo days so you can try out all of the different styles and find what is best for you and where you are going to be kayaking. I got to try 3 different types out and got the one that worked best for me!! For me it is a great way to get outside and get a workout in and have lots of fun doing it.
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hello! I tried it with one of those places that takes groups out to try things like coasteering, kayaking and canoeing (in the UK but I'm sure they have places that do it where you are). At least you are with other people that are learning and you can learn in a safe environment. I actually tried all 3 of the above when I was much bigger than you are now so don't let that hold you back! I found it quite fun and quite relaxing out on the water. My husband said it made his lower back ache but I think that's because he wasn't really in a comfortable position on the kayak.

As with any exercise, take it a step at a time before you try anything long distance or more challenging :) Good luck!
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I kayak - try a sit on top, if you turn over you won't have to worry about drowing if you cant turn over, always wear a life jacket i don't care how good of a swimmer someone might be, if you have access to a pool try it there first just to get your balance. Sit on tops are near unsinkable and less expensive, I have taken mine on class 3 rapids, lazy rivers, lakes, i'm yet to take it surfing maybe this summer. Good luck
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    It's so much fun. The biggest thing to remember is that it's not an arm workout. It's a core workout. So if your arms are getting tired, you need to reevaluate how you are paddling!

Keep your hips loose. Go with the rocking of the boat. You flip the boat by being too rigid generally. Just let the water flow underneath you. To test this, have someone stand in the water and rock your boat back and forth, and see if you can "go with the flow."
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It's a lot of fun and I find it really relaxing. We have some vacation property in Maine and Kayak on the river there. It's mostly calm. I agree if you live near the water there are probably outfitters who offer beginner classes, tours etc to get you started. Even my daughter (23) has done it for years and we consider her very uncoordinated-lol. Try it it's fun!!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have taken mine on class 3 rapids, lazy rivers, lakes, i'm yet to take it surfing maybe this summer. Good luck

You are my hero! lol I have always been intrigued by rapids, but terrified to ever think too much about it, lol. I suppose that's one of those things for the future for me... "must do the thing I think I cannot do."
  • jraps17
    Options
    I have taken mine on class 3 rapids, lazy rivers, lakes, i'm yet to take it surfing maybe this summer. Good luck

You are my hero! lol I have always been intrigued by rapids, but terrified to ever think too much about it, lol. I suppose that's one of those things for the future for me... "must do the thing I think I cannot do."

well i say that because sit in kayakers often are snobs about people on sit on tops : ) But they are getting popular and like i said they are way more affordable and versatile.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I used to kayak. We really liked the Pungo 120 and 140 - plenty of room for you and all your gear. I can't remember the term but the bottom is shaped in such a way (I think they call it a keel?) that you're less likely to tip and it's a bit easier to steer. Hubby would even stand up in his now and then and not have any trouble. We'd normally go on calm rivers and lakes with ours, no rapids.

Look into places that rent them - they're usually affordable for a day trip and have at least a couple of types you can try.

The only reason we don't go anymore is that we bought our house and had a lot of work to do on it so we weren't using them and decided we might as well sell them and get some money to put towards our projects.
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    A couple yrs ago my, then 11 yo, daughter took an adventure (day) camp one summer and they got to canoe & kayak. She absolutely LOVED the kayak! She picked it up really fast and was one of the only 10 chosen to kayak across the entire length of the lake, under a bridge, and up into a cove for a rest before making the return trip. It was an amazing experience for her. Ever since...I thought it would be a fun thing to learn to do as a family.
    Check with your local outfitters, rental places, and Park & Rec to see what is offered. Google it for your area and see what pops up.
    Sounds like a ball - I hope you do it!

Keep on...keepin' on.:flowerforyou:
  • elinsofie
    elinsofie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've got this kayak and I love it: http://www.advancedelements.com/advancedframe.html

What I like about it is that it doesn't weigh that much so I'm able to lift it by myself (I have a problem with my back). It's an inflatable - but a good one - and I can fold it together and put it in a bag for storage and it fits in the trunk of a car for transportation. It's very steady and doesn't tip over easily. Maybe I'll buy myself a "real" (hard shell) kayak some day, but this was a good place to start for me. I only do flat water kayaking and I haven't taken any classes yet, but I will if I move on to something more advanced.

6698353_5378.jpg

6698353_8252.jpg
  • keljo05
    keljo05 Posts: 173
    Options
    wow. great advice everyone! thank you so much. I did find a place that does the classes and such and I will start there :)
  • elinsofie
    Options
    try a sit on top, if you turn over you won't have to worry about drowing if you cant turn over

On recreational sit-in kayaks the opening is usually big enough for you to easily get out if you tip over, so you don't need to turn them over while you're still sitting in them :)
  • healthykae
    healthykae Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Kayaking is a blast!
    It's a great upper body exercise and is especially fun with friends.
    Watch out for trees that you might slowly "kayak" into if you're not used to turning = )
  • jraps17
    Options
    try a sit on top, if you turn over you won't have to worry about drowing if you cant turn over

On recreational sit-in kayaks the opening is usually big enough for you to easily get out if you tip over, so you don't need to turn them over while you're still sitting in them :)

you see what i mean. good luck trying to get all that water out of it in the middle of a lake.
  • elinsofie
    Options

you see what i mean. good luck trying to get all that water out of it in the middle of a lake.

It might be more difficult to get the water out of a sit-in, but there are techniques and also pumps you can use. There are pros and cons of both sit-ins and sit-on-tops. Which one is best depends on how and where it will be used and on personal preferences.