• alanjreed
    alanjreed Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Every morning
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I just came on this thread to confuse you even more, lol. I have been in the camp of "infrequently as possible" (monthly or more) so that the daily and sometimes weekly ups and downs don't discourage me. However, just yesterday I read a headline about a study (Hmm, maybe "study", I don't remember the source.) that concluded that people who weigh themselves every single day (and presumably chart their weight to see the overall trend) lose weight much faster than those who "only" weigh themselves five days a week. Of course, that's overall, individual results would vary.

(edited to correct misspelling)
  • greaseswabber
    greaseswabber Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    One should weigh oneself as often as needed to get sufficient feedback, without causing unnecessary anxiety. I've seen people report weighing themselves as often as 2 or 3 times a day and as little as never. Weekly, daily, and monthly are common answers.

I weigh myself daily. More frequent feedback is better for me.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I weight daily and keep a 7 day running average to track what is really happening.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    One should weigh oneself as often as needed to get sufficient feedback, without causing unnecessary anxiety. I've seen people report weighing themselves as often as 2 or 3 times a day and as little as never. Weekly, daily, and monthly are common answers.

I weight daily and keep a 7 day running average to track what is really happening.

These two here!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Pretty much the perfect answer, IMO.

As for me, I typically weigh once a week - that's enough to see trends for me. That said, I'm approaching a competition in 2-1/2 weeks, and I'm close to the top end of the weight class I want to compete in, so I'm currently weighing daily to make sure nothing goes awry and that I will make weight.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I do daily, because I am a data driven person. The daily weighing a help to motivate me. If it hasn't moved, I know I need to stick at it, and it will, then as soon as it does I see it and it spurs me on.
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I weigh myself every Wednesday first thing in the morning, nude and after the bathroom. That way it can be consistent. However, I try not to weigh more than that because this less about a number and more about the fit of my clothes and how I feel about myself when I look in the mirror. The number just makes sure I am on track to my goals.
  • dgobbett
    dgobbett Posts: 53 Member
    Options

+1

I weigh myself daily and by Friday each week I calculate my average and determine my actual weight. I used to subscribe to the once per week process but realized it can be inaccurate because it is hard to explain fluctuations if you don't know what you were days prior. I found that at first daily weighing was de-motivating due to water retention brought on by excess sodium or muscle repair but as I did it I was able to start explaining it and now have a better understanding of my body.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Exactly that. There is no "should". It depends on your psychology. Some people love the number-crunching of daily weighing, learning about fluctuations etc and I'm one of those. However, it drives some others around the bend who can't cope with seeing upward fluctuations. Some weigh twice weekly, weekly, monthly or not at all. It's largely up to you.
  • mmacke78
    mmacke78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I only weigh every 7 days. I personally found weighing daily just discouraged me. I've haven't lost but a few pounds but I've lost several inches which the scale can't tell you that.
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    For accuracy, weigh every day and use the weekly average to measure progress matched with a chart/trend display.
    Adherence is more important than accuracy, so as below, do what works for you that is enough to track progress:
    CollieFit wrote: »

Exactly that. There is no "should". It depends on your psychology. Some people love the number-crunching of daily weighing, learning about fluctuations etc and I'm one of those. However, it drives some others around the bend who can't cope with seeing upward fluctuations. Some weigh twice weekly, weekly, monthly or not at all. It's largely up to you.

• Mr_Boy
    Mr_Boy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter because your weight is just a number. If you are exercising and eating more healthily, you ARE more healthy regardless what your weight.

I like to do it as I finish my daily exercise since it's a time I'm naked as I get in the shower, and generally the same time of day and not directly after eating.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

Same here. That is how I track my net CICO results.
  • irunforpizza
    irunforpizza Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but to me, weight is just a number. I care more about how I look, how I feel, how I'm able to perform, etc.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    dgobbett wrote: »

+1

I weigh myself daily and by Friday each week I calculate my average and determine my actual weight. I used to subscribe to the once per week process but realized it can be inaccurate because it is hard to explain fluctuations if you don't know what you were days prior. I found that at first daily weighing was de-motivating due to water retention brought on by excess sodium or muscle repair but as I did it I was able to start explaining it and now have a better understanding of my body.

This. If I only weighed once a week I'd probably pick Wednesdays. I was looking back at my Wednesday weights over the last couple months and there are a few where it would look like I gained a lb. But if I look at the weight every single day I see that it fluctuates a lot and know not to take a single number so seriously.

I take a 20 day running average of my daily weigh-ins (this is what TrendWeight does for you, also there is HappyScale). The 20 day average is what I input in MFP which means my actual weight is usually a few lbs lower. The excitement over quicker weight loss is way too small compared to the huge disappointment I can feel if I feel like I gained weight. The data lets me see the sodium/water retention I pack on from an over-indulgent day, but also where my weight "settles" again to make sure I am not really gaining.
  • dalem54494
    dalem54494 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    every morning for me
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Every morning. It's a data thing as others have stated.
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I started weighing myself every morning as a form of psychological conditioning. If you do it every day, it's not a scary process, and so it's not longer a huge trauma if some days the numbers are a little bigger. Plus, useful data about how your body reacts to different stimuli (salt, caffeine, cardio vs. strength, etc.).
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Once a month. I'm more interested in long term trends and measurements than numbers on the scale.