Buying Airfare?!?!?

Options
MrsSki
MrsSki Posts: 196
Does anyone else hate this chore as much as I do? I'm trying to buy for my husband and I to go to Florida the week of Thanksgiving, but it seems impossible to find anything that's within our budget! What are your tips/tricks for booking cheap travel?

Replies

• Amanda0325
    Amanda0325 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    i was told the best time to buy was between 12-4am on Tuesdays... not sure if it is true though..
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I have heard to buy on Tuesdays too. Whatever you do try not to book on the weekends! Usually the prices are higher.

Can you fly JetBlue there? If so, sign up for the JetBlue alerts. They do great sales every few weeks.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Sign up for Bing travel alerts. It will let you know when the airfare goes down below a certain price and checks multiple sites like Kayak does.

Also, most airlines offer refunds if the airfare you purchase goes down a certain amount. You can find more info and track them at http://www.yapta.com/airline-refunds/
  • tpot74
    tpot74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yes Tuesdays and Wednesdays are good days to buy airfare. Try Southwest and they usually have their city of the week posted on Tuesday also!
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    As others have said, Tuesdays are the best times to buy.

For a domestic US flight, three months before is when you are going to get the best deals.

Search sites like Kayak.com, and do the flexible search, so that you can search all airlines and multiple days at once to see what the best flights are.

If you can travel mid-week, you will get better deals. Flights on Tuesdays/Wednesdays are always cheaper than the weekends, for instance. But if you use a site like kayak, you can search the whole week and see on what days it would be best for you to fly.

Good luck!
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    southwest airlines purchase early buy the wanna get away special prices and check in online like exactly 24 hours prior to the flight to get a good seat. ;) its the way i always fly and i have not found their prices beat yet. :)
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I'm studying abroad next year :bigsmile: and now I have to buy plane tickets to Japan :bigsmile:

Since I am studying International Business, I know other people who are studying abroad and I was told to look during the week at around 1am (in California...if you live back east, I would recommend 4am-5am) when most people are sleeping.

Also, round trip tickets are usually cheaper.

Good luck!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    cheapoair has deals that sometimes kayak does not.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    priceline!