Vitamin D Deficient

Options
I recently received lab results from doctor that I'm deficient in Vitamin D. For now she's prescribed 50,000 I.U. which once weekly for 8 weeks. Then after that I will take an over the counter 800 I.U. vitamin D/day and have my levels re-checked in 6 months.

Any tips for getting my levels up besides the vitamin supplements?

Replies

• mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    I have the same issue, and have been given a similar prescription. The doc told me to drink more milk (I don't drink much at all) and get more sunshine.

I'd be interested in hearing what others in a similar situation have to say, as well.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My friend, who is a doctor, said that most people are deficient in vitamin D. The best suggestion is to get out in the sunlight for 15 minutes per day. But you have to wear a limited amount of clothing to be sure a large enough percentage of your body is being exposed.
  • jen31889
    jen31889 Posts: 121
    Options
    Spend time outside. Sunshine stimulates vitamin D production.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Get out in the sun for at least 15 minutes a day or more. You get vitamin D from the sun!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Milk, sunshine, and supplements! Most people are vitamin D deficient. I had to do what you're doing a couple of years back. I was advised, however, to make sure I took 1000 ius a day.
  • thebutteredtoast
    Options
    I'm vitamin d deficient too! last i checked my doctor said i was at a 5 and i'm supposed to be up in the fifties! she told me to have supplements, get out in the sun more and drink milk! it's been helping but just be careful exercising because i know that i get very tired, very fast because of my deficiency.
  • Cheryl_Catrair
    Cheryl_Catrair Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind your body can only absorb up to 600 units at a time so you will need to take it in the a.m. and in the p.m.
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I had that problem a couple of years ago. When your vit. d levels are back to normal, you will notice a more positive change in your moods and energy. That will definitely help you to lose weight. Good luck.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Yes enjoy the sun!! It's all natural and FREE!! . You won't get skin cancer from 15-20 minutes per day of sunlight. Throw on a tank top and some shorts (or a bathing suit) and enjoy the sunshine!!
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D is the "sunshine vitamin." Spend more time outdoors without sunscreen (about 15-30 minutes daily) during the part of the day that is not the hottest.

Vitamin D is included in many fortified foods and drinks (milk, cold breakfast cereals, etc.) and is found naturally in herring, catfish, trout, salmon, halibut, mackerel....essentially fatty fishes! In England many, many years ago during the Industrial Revolution, rickets (the disease caused by vitamin D deficiency) was cured with cod liver oil which is extremely rich in Vitamin D.
  • Karyn1120
    Karyn1120 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm in the northeast US, and my doctor said that in this area we don't get enough strong sun for proper vitamin D. He has me taking 2000 units in the fall/winter, and 1000 units spring/summer daily. As with any supplement -- I would check with your doctor before adding any extra vitamins to your diet.
  • CynGetsThin
    Options
    Wow. Thanks so much for all of the helpful posts and messages. I appreciate it all. I am very interested in seeing how the increase will improve my mood as I have been feeling down the last 6 months and have gained a lot of weight! I can't wait to see the results!
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Very interesting post! I'm not deficient, but I do spend a lot of time in the sun. That's just amazing how we are built.
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Just to warn you, you will probably need longer than 8 weeks on the 50k IU to get it up. Hopefully she will recheck it before moving you down to 800IU? A full year on 10K IU DAILY is what it took my father to raise his (and he a super healthy man). I'm still working on mine, 10k a day. Be sure to recheck before changing the program.

Note for all: Vit D is a fat soluble vitamin, so although it's very hard to raise your levels, you do need to recheck periodically because our body won't just flush out the excess like it does with Vit C (a water soluble vitamin).
  • CynGetsThin
    Options
    @jonikeffer -- Thanks for the help. My levels are at 19.4. My doctor wants me to follow her plan -- 50k IUs weekly for 8 weeks, then 800 IUs a day, then come back to check my D levels in 6 months. Unfortunately due to lack of health insurance and a general personal preference/ignorance to avoid doctors these lab results came from my first physical since 2006. Now that I have insurance I will definitely get check-ups more often!