I'm so unhealthy!

Options
jdt242
jdt242 Posts: 106 Member
I ran a half marathon last month. I am running another in May. Generally, exercise is not the problem.

Calorie counting aside, I have hit a realisation that my "moderation" is a way of life and I eat too much junk and drink too much alcohol.

How do I change? It's not only about losing weight but after years of eating like this, but how do I do it? How did you change? Are you healthier? Not just thinner, but really healthier?

I am so lenient with my food choices and I'm wondering if I am simply making excuses to hold onto years of bad habits....

Replies

• brrrrito
    brrrrito Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    in the words of Shia Labeouf - just DO IT!

trust me, i LOVE my junk/comfort food. i just make sacrifices now to be able to eat it still on a 1,200 calorie a day diet. soon, you will start to love vegetables and the sheer AMOUNT you are able to eat for the littlest bit of calories. then, you have left over calories to have a small treat if you want.

don't forbid yourself things, it just makes you want it more (for me anyway!) pay attention to the nutritional information on the back of the package and only eat the serving size.

take it one day at a time. and don't beat yourself up because one day you slipped up. tomorrow's a new day!
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You really have to change your mindset - you have to decide it's something you really want to do, and then do it. That's what's been working for me so far. It won't be easy in the beginning, but it gets better. If you're one of those people that need to go turkey with certain foods and drinks, then that's something you'll have to do if you really want to change your "bad habits". Some days will be better than others, but I think consistency is key. Your "way of life" is simply the choices you make, and you have to decide if you're willing to do what it takes to make choices other than the ones you've been making :) .
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Maybe start by just logging how often you are doing those things you want to do less of.
    Once you have that log make a plan to do it a little less the next week. Allow yourself to do it, just less. Keep reducing to a point you are comfortable.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I don't focus on getting rid of the junk, I focus on getting lots of veggies, plenty of fiber, good fats and lean protein. After that, there just isn't room for as much junk.

Switching the focus ( I'm not avoiding McD's, I just need to have a salad not made from icerberg lettuce to meet my goals) helps me mentally.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Think of how much better you would feel and better you would run, if you fueled your body better. Take small steps. Cut out one alcoholic drink a week until you are down to where you would like to be. Add a serving or two of vegetables to each day. I found that as I added vegetables, I was fuller and didn't really want the 'junk" food any more.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    There are certain things I just don't buy anymore, and when it's not in the cupboard it can't get eaten. LOL
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Do it slowly. Starting each meal with a small salad is a great start.

I was young when I quit making junk food a mainstay in my diet so I wasn't unhealthy, but based on the difference between me and most of friends that still eat a lot of junk food I think I definitely would be unhealthy now (I'm 51) had I not cleaned my diet up back then. That stuff tends to catch up with you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    jdt242 wrote: »
    How do I change? It's not only about losing weight but after years of eating like this, but how do I do it? How did you change? Are you healthier? Not just thinner, but really healthier?

Figure out what you want to do and understand why you want to do it.

Come up with a plan. Make changes piece by piece -- baby steps.

What makes it hard? -- cooking, having the right foods in the house, not getting foods out because friends want to? Going out drinking a lot because that's how your social life works? Whatever it is, think it through and figure out how you want to change it.

If you love running and want to improve, maybe make that part of your reason for changing.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I don't focus on getting rid of the junk, I focus on getting lots of veggies, plenty of fiber, good fats and lean protein. After that, there just isn't room for as much junk.

Switching the focus ( I'm not avoiding McD's, I just need to have a salad not made from icerberg lettuce to meet my goals) helps me mentally.

This is a good plan. I try to meet my macros every day - as long as I have them met (or mostly met) and I have calories left over, then I have my treats.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

This is a good plan. I try to meet my macros every day - as long as I have them met (or mostly met) and I have calories left over, then I have my treats.

Yes, excellent point -- I find it a lot easier to focus on how I DO want to eat, what I want to include, than on not eating things.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Start by logging. Then make changes in some areas (healthier dinner, maybe). Then once you've grown accustomed to that, do better with your lunch also. Hang onto a few things that you hold near and dear but make adjustments you can live with.