Some Days I Just Don't Wanna

Options
I have been doing okay 9.5lbs in 35 days. I have managed to continue living my life, helping my friend's pick cocktails for their wedding even if it turned my 2lb weight loss to a .5lb weigh loss for the week. In general I think I have been doing alright balancing it.

But last night as I sat there still hungry, I just didn't want to do this anymore. I am tired of being hungry, I did this 5 years ago lost 50lbs... gained it back. So I know how it works, if I am just a little hungry I am doing okay. I just had the feeling it was exhausting and I just didn't wanna. Now, I held on and didn't eat more just for the sake of being slightly hungry and just wanting that "full" feeling.

But yeah, some days I just don't wanna do this.

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    10lbs in a month is pretty aggressive, maybe that's why you're hungry. Aim to lose 4-5 and eat more.
  • fochizzy87
    fochizzy87 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    10lbs in a month is pretty aggressive, maybe that's why you're hungry. Aim to lose 4-5 and eat more.

I am over 200lbs, you are supposed to be able to lose 10% of your body weight without fear. The first 4lbs were water weight in the first week, other than that it has been anywhere from 2lbs-0.5lbs a week.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I hear you. This really sucks sometimes and some days I just don't wanna either. I'm sick of having to constantly come up with yummy healthy recipes that I don't get sick of. I get tired of putting in so much effort.

But looking at your diary I would suggest upping your calorie intake. Only eating 1200 calories a day is pretty low. I would suggest adjusting your diary settings and re-evaluating. Maybe add more protein? That helps me stay fuller longer.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    Options
    Everyone has those days. Guess what? It's okay. The idea is not to have them in too many consecutive days in a row.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • inertiastrength
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Are you exercising as well as in a deficit? When I first began doing a run for 30-45minutes killed 2 birds. I wasn't sitting at home with free time to get bored and eat, and I was increasing my TDEE leaving more room for indulgences if I so chose. I don't do a whole lot now but it served it's purpose when I was 240lbs
  • fochizzy87
    fochizzy87 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    Are you exercising as well as in a deficit? When I first began doing a run for 30-45minutes killed 2 birds. I wasn't sitting at home with free time to get bored and eat, and I was increasing my TDEE. I don't do a whole lot now but it served it's purpose when I was 240lbs

I have a "must move during my lunch hour rule." I ride my bike to and from work (have for a year now), so during lunch I either leisurely walk, or leisurely bike. That is the exercise right now, anything more extreme and I would have a HRM and would eat back the exercise calories like I did last time I did this.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    Unfortunately the only options to reach your goal are to move more, eat less or a combination of the two. I guess you just have to decide every day how badly you want it. There were days I'd blow my macros and eat 4K but then I got right back to it and stuck to the poverty 1500 I was "allowed" Hope you find your motivation but don't beat yourself up if you binge on wings one day because you didn't feel like adhering. That's the fatal mistake everyone that doesn't succeed makes. The "I've ruined it" mentality.
  • DaisiesandViolets
    DaisiesandViolets Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I get it. There are days when I feel like I don't want to either. I decided this time around that I would go slow because in the past my "I don't wanna" days would end with a frenzied binge and a ménage à trois with my old loves: Ben and Jerry. This time around, I'm not winning any speed weight loss competitions, but I'm a whole lot less hangry. :-)
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I think we all have those days. Remember if you don't "wanna" that day then don't. Don't let it derail you forever, pick yourself up the next day and make it happen. If you are consistent with your eating and exercising you should be able to indulge every once in a while.
    My rule while losing for a couple of years was "never deprive myself of anything" but let it fit into my daily consumption and work out extra hard (running for me) if that is what was needed to get over the calorie overload.
    Some days you just got to a bar and drink and eat bad food, that happens. It won't ruin you.
    you can do this!!!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    fochizzy87 wrote: »
    I have been doing okay 9.5lbs in 35 days. I have managed to continue living my life, helping my friend's pick cocktails for their wedding even if it turned my 2lb weight loss to a .5lb weigh loss for the week. In general I think I have been doing alright balancing it.

But last night as I sat there still hungry, I just didn't want to do this anymore. I am tired of being hungry, I did this 5 years ago lost 50lbs... gained it back. So I know how it works, if I am just a little hungry I am doing okay. I just had the feeling it was exhausting and I just didn't wanna. Now, I held on and didn't eat more just for the sake of being slightly hungry and just wanting that "full" feeling.

But yeah, some days I just don't wanna do this.

It is perfectly normal to want to quit, but the consequences of doing this are so harsh that you can't allow yourself to! I promise it will be worth it and easier when you arrive at maintenance and you are freed from the caloric deficit restriction.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    EVERYONE wants to quit sometimes. EVERYONE. Take a few days "off" and then you will get the urge to get back in it again. The dedication is there, the motivation is there. Hell, look how far you've come already. Way to go! Keep on trucking!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Eat a sensible snack when you feel that way and keep on keeping on. It's not "all or nothing." It's not "on" the diet or "off." Make your lifestyle one that you can live with. Forgive yourself for messing up, and don't use it as an excuse to go back to the way you were before.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Having said that, I cannot do 1200 calories. Make sure you can live with this plan. If it means eating 1400 calories a day and losing weight a little slower, isn't that better than giving up?
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Going with a smaller deficit will mean slower weight loss but you won't have to be hungry all of the time. I am also over 200. My deficit is set right now for 1.5 pounds but I allow myself to eat more sometimes when I just feel like I need more. Yes its slow. 30 pounds over the past year. I am happy with that.
  • shapali1979
    shapali1979 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    Having said that, I cannot do 1200 calories. Make sure you can live with this plan. If it means eating 1400 calories a day and losing weight a little slower, isn't that better than giving up?

Well said I loved that advice
  • bbilliethecat
    bbilliethecat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    my life changed when i moved from 1200 calories to 1400 calories for the better . i was no longer starving and had space for snacks, an apple or a biscuit when i liked . because 1200 calories is basically 400 calories each meal with zilch space for snacks . i prefer 3 meals and 2 snacks . i'm living on the edge, baby ! haha
  • fishccer
    fishccer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't wanna do it every weekend, so I don't lol, I blow my calories over the weekend, not with stupid things like chocolate or crisps but with beer and roast dinners, things I really enjoy and savour. I exercise more over the weekend so figure I can let go a little. But, hey, if I don't wanna do it on a Wednesday every so often, then I don't do it! I think the key is to just be mindful and as long as you wanna do it on more days than you don't you'll be OK x