Walking Shoe VS Running Shoe

Options
I need new shoes. Bad. I walk. And I just started walking a lot. I don't run...yet. Should I be looking for a walking shoe? Or will a running shoe be OK? The shoes I have now are running shoes but I get terrible shin splints unless I walk on an incline. Will getting a shoe made specifically for walking possibly help?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    If you can get walking 'runners'. They are lighter weight than a shoe which is quite often made for trail hikes.
    The walking 'runner' has a curve at the back ofthe heal to make the foot strike appropriate for a walkers roll.
    Do get fitted as you would if you were running. A good fit alibis tea a lot if problems.

Cheers, h.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Get walking shoes for walking. When you progress to C25k or however you start running, getting running shoes.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Sorry the last sentence should have read
    ' A good fit alleviates a lot of problems.'

If you are going to work towards a C25K programme you could chose a running shoe without any heal flair at the back.

Below are my shoes. I am an exclusive walker, race 10km's, with child size feet, so walking 'runners' aren't available to me.
    I have found a shoe with this type of heal, though not a walker, allows for the back to front foot roll used when walking.

gdiqn0vgbed3.jpg

Cheers, h.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    beth1079 wrote: »
    I need new shoes. Bad. I walk. And I just started walking a lot. I don't run...yet. Should I be looking for a walking shoe? Or will a running shoe be OK? The shoes I have now are running shoes but I get terrible shin splints unless I walk on an incline. Will getting a shoe made specifically for walking possibly help?

And they're 5 years old? Am I correct? Get some new running shoes and you'll be shocked at what a difference it makes.
  • Chargunshow
    Chargunshow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You can walk in running shoes. Get fit at a running shoe store.

Running shoes (whether you walk or run) should not have birthdays.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you can go to a running store and still get fitted. let them know what your goals are and what sort of terrain these will be used on
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    If you can get walking 'runners'. They are lighter weight than a shoe which is quite often made for trail hikes.
    The walking 'runner' has a curve at the back ofthe heal to make the foot strike appropriate for a walkers roll.
    Do get fitted as you would if you were running. A good fit alibis tea a lot if problems.

Cheers, h.

"A good fit alibis tea a lot if problems: I don't understand this, what does it mean?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Or will a running shoe be OK? The shoes I have now are running shoes but I get terrible shin splints unless I walk on an incline.

That's probably because your shoes have a raised heel, which can worsen shin splints. The incline on the treadmill counteracts the raised heel, so your foot is more level (which is the way our feet are intended to walk). The solution is to walk in "zero heel" shoes. Try an ordinary pair of skateboard shoes, to see if they give an improvement. Most shoes marketed as "walking shoes" have a raised heel, so i would avoid them. And most running shoes have a raised heel, which is fine for running, but not walking. Some zero heel running shoe options exist, like Altra, Merrells, some Brooks and Sauconys, etc. But try skateboard shoes first, since they're 1/3 the price.

By the way, you might need to reduce your walking distance and gradually increase back up, to give your shins more time to adapt. Overuse injuries stink. :+1:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

Cheers, h.

"A good fit alibis tea a lot if problems: I don't understand this, what does it mean?

I think 'alibis tea' might be spell-check-ese for 'alleviates'.
  • Lindsay375
    Lindsay375 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Running shoes (whether you walk or run) should not have birthdays.

This is such a good point. Especially with certain shoes you can't even see the parts that are broken down within the shoe. (Except for my running shoes that were 5 years old and still in the box :D )

I have a pair of walking shoes, a pair of running shoes, and finally a pair of flat athletic shoes I use for strength training. I prefer a wider, flatter shoe for walking. I prefer a more cushiony heel with a slight angle at the toe for running, and a super flat shoe for strength training especially squats. All through trial and error and realizing using my running shoes to walk in made my feet and legs hurt.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sanity check... are they really that different, or is it just a marketing ploy? Walking vs running shoes. If they fit well, should't they do basically the same thing?

IMO, get shoes that fit right and worry about the rest later.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Sanity check... are they really that different, or is it just a marketing ploy? Walking vs running shoes. If they fit well, should't they do basically the same thing?

I think the issue was that the OP wasn't sure if there was a difference. There are differences in shoes, it's not just the fit (and color :lol: ) that count!
    I've lost a half a shoe size it seems so I'll be hunting for another pair of shoes to walk in, so great points everyone!
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The cushioning level helps with shin splints, for me at least. The hell rise helps with calf cramping. Again, for me. Theses are both chronic issues for me even with physical therapy. Though shin splints just from walking seems peculiar. If suggest visiting an OS or PT.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

And they're 5 years old? Am I correct? Get some new running shoes and you'll be shocked at what a difference it makes.

Do you think that is true of a shoe that has very few miles on it? I am trying to decide if this is really the case, or if it is a marketing ploy from running shoe companies.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Yes, they really are different. Walking and running use the foot in different ways.

ie: Where the foot strikes with force when running and needs a wider heel base to absorb and cushion, the walker strikes the ground with less force, slightly further back on the heel, and needs a curve in the heel, sole to back transition, to help roll the foot forward instead of dropping forward. ( JMHO)

If one wants to walk seriously, one should invest in the correct footwear.
    The same goes for any sport one wants to persue.

Cheers, h.

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Do you think that is true of a shoe that has very few miles on it? I am trying to decide if this is really the case, or if it is a marketing ploy from running shoe companies.

If it doesn't have a lot of use then it's probably fine. I suspect the walking in the shoes does all the wear and tear but I still wouldn't keep shoes that were much older than that.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    The tea alibis and the hell rises... I think the Auto-Correct is the best part of this thread. It almost sounds like some kind of secret spy code.

Anyway, in addition to what middlehaitch said above, it's also important to know what kind of feet you have. I have low arches so getting fitted for the right shoes is important.