Skipping Breakfast

Options
I know what you're all going to say to this...but I want to hear to reassure myself that it's okay.

Today I had a weird assignment for work and didn't eat breakfast beforehand (because I thought it would be quick but ended up going longer than I had planned!) I wasn't really feeling hungry anyway, until lunch time. Usually I have a protein shake for breakfast and that holds me over until lunch. However, I really struggle to stay under my calorie goal - I don't even log everything most days because it's so discouraging.

Should I just start skipping breakfast and see if that helps? If I don't feel hungry, is there really a point to drink the protein shake? I could save those calories for later...

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry don't eat but that's probably not going to help the bigger issue of going over your daily allowance.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't eat until about 11am because that is when I get hungry. Food timing doesn't mean anything. Not eating breakfast when I am not hungry means I have a real big dinner with the hubby instead. Which is way more fun!
  • frankie_xox
    frankie_xox Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I hadn't really given it much thought before - I just drank the shake or had breakfast. But if I got to lunch today and was not hungry, then maybe I can save morning calories for later in the day, since I seem to be eating extra later in the day anyway!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Is your calorie goal too severe?
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Well now this 'accident' has made you think about this, why not conduct the experiment and see how it goes.

Meal are a contrived thing anyhow, breakfast is not obligatory and many thrive eating later in the day. I myself am a person who swaps between eating 'Breakfast' on the mornings I feel like it...other times it becomes a 'Brunch' type of affair, it hasn't affected my weight loss negatively.
  • helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Everyone basically eats breakfast as breakfast is literally the first meal of the day so you could eat as soon as you get up or hours later it is still classed as a breakfast
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I have been a breakfast eater my entire life. Last week I just wasn't hungry in the morning and either had coffee and a protein bar or just coffee and found that I wasn't hungry till well into the afternoon. I think my takeaway from it was that I listened to my body. I wasn't hungry, so I didn't eat, which has been a hard lesson for me to learn. I ate because "it was time" or someone else was eating or bored or stressed or whatever. But to realize I wasn't hungry and didn't eat was huge.
    And today I was hungry so I ate. No hard and fast rules.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I dont eat until noon, usually. Made no differnce to my 72# weight loss.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    I have been a breakfast eater my entire life. Last week I just wasn't hungry in the morning and either had coffee and a protein bar or just coffee and found that I wasn't hungry till well into the afternoon. I think my takeaway from it was that I listened to my body. I wasn't hungry, so I didn't eat, which has been a hard lesson for me to learn. I ate because "it was time" or someone else was eating or bored or stressed or whatever. But to realize I wasn't hungry and didn't eat was huge.
    And today I was hungry so I ate. No hard and fast rules.

+1
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Didn't we do this yesterday? :smiley:
    You hungry? Eat. You not hungry? Don't eat. Some days I can (or at least go longer) and some days I can't.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I almost never eat first thing in the morning. I'm normally not hungry. Eating when I'm not hungry makes no sense to me.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,036 Member
    Options
    I only eat breakfast on weekends. I'm just not hungry until about 10:30 am, so why would I bother eating.
  • wakanbasenjis
    wakanbasenjis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    I dont eat until noon, usually. Made no differnce to my 72# weight loss.

I dont eat breakfast either and it has made no difference in my 65# (so far) weight loss.
  • frankie_xox
    frankie_xox Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    You hungry? Eat. You not hungry? Don't eat. Some days I can (or at least go longer) and some days I can't.

This is the hardest part of losing weight!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »

This is the hardest part of losing weight!

Recognizing hunger signs, and eliminating bored hunger. My daily struggle. :pensive:
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've never been a big breakfast eater so I usually skip it. The only exception is on Sunday - hubby and I always go out for breakfast - but then I don't eat lunch, so I guess it evens out :)
    I have some protein/fiber bars in my desk at work so if I do get hungry for more than my mug of tea I won't be hitting up the vending machine before lunch.
  • Blubberbuster1
    Blubberbuster1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it been mentioned yet..

I do intermittent fasting, I eat my first meal at 1pm and eat all my calories withing a 8 hour period.
    I fast for 16 hours and feed for 8 hours. 0 Calories for 16 hours.
    I feel much more energetic than I've ever felt.
    When you eat does not matter.

Check out Kinobody on google, this guy is taking the fitness industry by storm with Intermittent Fasting.
  • fochizzy87
    fochizzy87 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The only breakfast I have is coffee. Hasn't stopped me yet ^_^
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I only eat breakfast occasionally on the weekends...but even then it's closer to lunch time. If I eat breakfast, I end up going over my calories. I eat the same amount the rest of the day, plus the added meal in the morning. I feel the same whether I eat it or not, so I choose not to.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Different methods work for different people. Personally, if I skip breakfast I find that I end up stuffing my face later on and craving something sweet (my breakfast is my "sweet fix" of a protein bar or shake which I really look forward to). My breakfast jumpstarts my day with some healthy eating and I know that my muscles are getting the protein that they need to recover after an early work out.