MFP vs Weight Watchers

Options
I'm considering cancelling my WW membership. I hate the new program. Anyone switch to MFP from WW. If so, what are your thoughts?

Replies

• AprilALewis
    AprilALewis Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've never done weight watchers but a friend showed me the app yesterday and looks almost exactly like my fitness pal. I'm sure it's helpful but it's pretty much the same concept as counting calories and u can do that for free. And plus there's always others on the same journey as you to look to for support.
  • cdstewart51115
    cdstewart51115 Posts: 15 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    WW used to have its perks but honestly there are so many avenues for free weight management apps available, that unless you really like the in office/group meetings, I don't see the point. I have no idea what the new program is but someone just sent an internal email in my office for the info meeting to be held here. Sigh, I wish I was already trained as a health coach and save them the weekly fees
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I really love my WW leader and the emphasis on eating filling healthy foods. However the database on WW sucks and so I only track about 1/2 of what I eat - so I've lost nothing in the many months I've been a member this time. Previously before I found MFP I was a member of WW and lost 40 lbs. I am ready to quit WW again and come back to MFP. Not looking forward to being hungry 100% of the time again as I was when I tracking on MFP before but it did work for me so back again I come.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    rmkrd wrote: »
    I'm considering cancelling my WW membership. I hate the new program. Anyone switch to MFP from WW. If so, what are your thoughts?

I switched. WW works for a LOT of people, so I won't say it doesn't work, but it didn't work for me. I actually gained weight on WW. For some reason it is easier for me to keep track of/see actual calories and nutrients of food than it is to keep track of "points". Once I had spent a good amount of time trying to work the points system, they changed to a new program. I think it was called "Fresh Start" or something. I kind of felt like I'd been duped and I just couldn't switch my frame of mind. It seemed like they were trying to be all things instead of their own program.

With MFP I have lost the weight I needed to lose. Win!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I was a WW follower back in 2012. I lost some weight when I was really heavy but free fruits and vegetables caught up with me and I stalled. I learned NOTHING about the energy balance and how to budget my calories, and since switching to MFP I learned all that, and more. The forums are a really great resource, there's some very knowledgeable people here that helped me when I was a noob. MFP has seen me through 80lbs of weight loss and I've kept it off because I understand the energy balance and I don't get discouraged when I see glycogen gains and "throw the baby out with the bath water" which is what so many people do after a bad day, weekend, week etc. Definitely in the right place If you want to keep your weight off.
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters. I never learned anything about food with the points. And there was a point I gained weight. My husband did good though. But guess what? After he stopped going he gained everything he lost. I also didn't like the fact it is a gigantic for profit corporation banking on your failure to keep themselves going on. Too expensive really. I have become my own coach and I love the database of this app. I am learning everything myself, what works and what doesn't personally for me. I think that approach is much better than the point system.
  • theswanygirl
    theswanygirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just rejoined WW in January to see what all this new information was with WW. With the incentive to lose 10 pds in 2 months you would get your joiner fee of 3 months back as a refund was a plus. With the new system I found out I could have more points to eat. Its not working out so good. I am not loosing as quickly as I did before. Plus this green smoothie I eat for breakfast counts my fruits and veggies I put in there. Usually all fruits and mostly all veggies are no points with WW. I'm thinking of cancelling my membership. What I love about MFP is the daily end result. Having a Fitbit I can see at the end of the day calories in vs calories out and extra calories from excercise. It helps me see my goal as to what I could weigh in 5 weeks when I hit the complete entry icon. I also love to see my nutritition info and make sure I am getting my water in. Plus the app is free!
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I cancelled mine yesterday. I was eating too few calories on WW. This is free, and I feel a lot better knowing how many calories I'm eating.
  • weaversouth
    weaversouth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat with wwers! THe new "improved" plan is not only not working for me to lose, but I started gaining it back! They have to keep changing it, for some reason, but it's a mess now. I am going to try "MFP" for a month and if it gets me back on track, then I'm cancelling WWers...besides, I cannot STAND Oprah, LOL
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I switched to MFP about a year ago, before the new plan came out, but both programs are pretty much the same in my book. But MFP is free and the app is more reliably functional, so that was the difference maker for me!
  • SamanthaLeeann1
    SamanthaLeeann1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My sister in law just hit her goal weight doing WW. It worked for her. I personally do not see the point unless you like spending money and going to meetings. MFP is free, I still feel accountable too it because I have built a group of friends on here that I do not want to let down. I agree with the posters above, I didn't learn anything about food on WW, MFP gives you so much freedom and I can see how 1200 calories of junk affects my body vs. 1200 calories of healthy foods. My sister in law was explaining some weird program WW has now where a POTATO counted for no points, that makes no sense to me.
  • FarBeyondDriven_86
    FarBeyondDriven_86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The biggest advantage I see with MFP as opposed to WW is the database. MFP has a HUGE database, so I can find pretty much any food I eat. The other big advantage to MFP is that it is free, so MFP is the easy choice for me.
  • spookycomet
    spookycomet Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I lost about 60 lbs on Weight Watchers last year and changed to MFP after WW changed its plan. As I had done WW already for awhile, you're used to tracking and weighing what you eat so MFP was not a difficult change for me, it is free, and I agree with others who have said that the MFP database is larger than WW's database of food. Also, I am more mindful of what I eat on MFP because I'm paying direct attention to calories as well as nutrients, so I feel more informed about what I'm eating. I also have less guilt when I eat sometimes because I feel like WW steers me towards "bad" versus "good" foods thinking. On MFP I feel that it will work longer for me long-term especially when I get to maintain my goal weight because I still focus on eating healthy most of the time, but without worrying about what is "bad" versus "good" food.
  • oksoitsjen
    oksoitsjen Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    WW is essentially a low calorie diet. Add up your calories from the foods you ate or a few days...I've used both and I love MFP. I love the ability to track specific things (carbs, fat, protein)!
  • willworkoutforwine
    willworkoutforwine Posts: 64 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I recently switched from WW to MFP (nearing end of my second week using MFP). I lost 30lbs on WW almost 10 years ago and it worked much better for me back then - but I was under 30 and the plan was different. I joined WW in January and gave the new plan 2 months before deciding I didn't like it. I lost 10lbs and plateaued so I thought I'd try MFP to compare results between WW points and counting calories. I lost 2.6 pounds counting calories last week! I don't expect to maintain that every week but it was more than I ever lost in a week on WW, and it was a nice jump start/motivator! I'm wearing pants today that I haven't worn for a LONG time - it's the best feeling!

I think that MFP will be easier for long-term maintenance and it's FREE. In the new WW program, the points are not as intuitive to figure as they used to be, the website sucks now and the database of foods is limited. I was constantly searching other sources for nutrition info to figure points and I was getting frustrated by the amount of work it took to figure out points. I think this site has much better resources.

I'm going to cancel my WW membership as soon as I get my refund for losing 10lbs. So, the upside is that I did lost 10lbs for free with WW and I'm not sure if I would like MFP or counting calories as much had I not had my WW experience first. :)
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I did WW and lost 50 pounds - I learned a LOT about serving sizes and nutrition in general. I stalled out and never did get back in the groove so when I decided I needed a change I came here. My biggest gripe about WW in the end was that while they have all the nutrition information available - there was no way to see your macros, and as you start working out more those are important. I wanted to be able to see how much protein I was eating, but their database did not have any reporting. I think WW is great for people just starting out, who need that support and knowledge, but you do outgrow it after a while - the topics of the meetings are limited and they definitely do not know what to do if you are super active. They just kept telling me I wasn't eating enough because I was so active, but that never made sense to me.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i tried WW off and on for 10+ years. i couldn't maintain my initial weight loss. but even though my losses are VERY slow, i can understand calories in vs calories out and listening to my body's signals. that makes sense to me and is free.
  • kelli_rie
    kelli_rie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did WW about 2 years ago and lost 30 lbs. It started getting too cumbersome to figure out points. So of course I gave up and gained it all back. I really didn't learn how to eat healthy, just how to eat under points. I started MFP last October and have already lost those 30 lbs again! I find it so much simpler just counting calories. The database on MFP is sooo comprehensive; it's a million times better than the WW database. And it is free!!! 2 things I need: easy and free. And I've been losing weight more steadily too. So I'd say quit wasting money on WW.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    fvtfan wrote: »
    I think WW is great for people just starting out, who need that support and knowledge, but you do outgrow it after a while - the topics of the meetings are limited and they definitely do not know what to do if you are super active. They just kept telling me I wasn't eating enough because I was so active, but that never made sense to me.

Actually, they were probably right about that. There's another user on here whose leader told her not to eat her exercise calories back because she was already active before starting...or something close to that. Oh, okay! So this person was only imagining expending all that extra energy?

I did weight watchers but never went to a meeting but from all I've read from other members, it really depends on your leader.

I lost 90 lbs on it and ate better along with learning portion control so that was good.

To me, the only differences are you're paying for meetings and accountability and your daily goal number is a lot lower. :)
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    The only thing I liked about WW was the meetings and the weekly weigh in with someone else. I know I should be holding myself accountable, but there was something that made me work harder when I weighed in with someone else. lol