Advice please :)

Options
Help...Ive lost 40lbs & want to lose more. going on holiday in a few months & i want to feel confident:)However have plateau'd & need inspiration! Any ideas/ tips? :) x x

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "plateau"? My personal guideline is 3 weeks without a loss = drop calories.
  • chelle575
    chelle575 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    6 weeks no weight loss :( tried all different types of exercise, changed foods, cut out bread totally, 3 meals a day and only fruit for snacks? but not sure where im going wrong .
  • chelle575
    Options
    i could lessen my calorie intake even more & see what happens i guess...?
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Try a water app and drown those extra calories. It started me back up on losing.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    mommazach wrote: »
    Try a water app and drown those extra calories. It started me back up on losing.

Water does not drown extra calories, just so you know. That is wishful thinking.
  • chelle575
    Options
    Ah good idea! Never thought of that! I'll up my water, i work in an office so probably dont realise im not drinking enough during the day!
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Do you use a food scale to weigh everything?
  • chelle575
    Options
    I use MFP , follow the lean in 15 body coach meals ( i havent signed up , i just have the book) could i be eating too much of the right thing? so like too much fruit??
  • KIZGNARR
    KIZGNARR Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    have you tried adding high intensity interval training? it may jump start your metabolism again... burn more calories, make you feel good, etc :smiley:
  • queenliz99
    Options
    KIZGNARR wrote: »
    have you tried adding high intensity interval training? it may jump start your metabolism again... burn more calories, make you feel good, etc :smiley:

This not the issue. She needs to get her calorie counting accurate.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    chelle575 wrote: »
    I use MFP , follow the lean in 15 body coach meals ( i havent signed up , i just have the book) could i be eating too much of the right thing? so like too much fruit??

Do you use a food scale? Do you pick the right foods from the database? Some of the foods are incorrect.
  • chelle575
    Options
    recovering from back injury & warned by physio to avoid HIIT sessions till its better, so i have to do more swimming, running etc right now but will definitely try it once i have the go ahead for it
  • chelle575
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    chelle575 wrote: »

Do you use a food scale? Do you pick the right foods from the database? Some of the foods are incorrect.

Nope, no food scale, should that account for the portions eg too much veg etc ? yes, the right foods on database, always careful to make sure thats right
  • queenliz99
    Options
  • rsenor
    rsenor Posts: 57 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I don't think you need a food scale especially with veggies. That being said, watch your portions as follows: protein per meal should be the size of your palm, carb per meal should be the size of your fist. You already did bread so try to wipe out all your simple carbs: pasta, rice, bagels, potato. Basically if its white, think twice.

Fruits can sneak up on you- carbs are GOOD for you but lots of fruits like grapes and pineapples have a ton of sugar and can easily derail weight loss. I might suggest switching to lower carb fruits like green apples or strawberries and adding a small handful of nuts which stablize your blood sugar. If you're still hankering for a sweeter kick than those allow, give yourself some stevia on them. Low-glycemic index stuff.

Weight loss is everything: it is your food, it is your eating, so yes, if you can do interval cardio DO IT! There is a ton of research that shows that "HIIT" has enormous benefits. I lost a lot of weight that way. I still do it. I swim two laps as hard as possible and one slow. If you feel like you're going to puke, you're doing it right.
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    How much fruit? It's loads of carbs what's ur macro split? You getting enough protein? If u want to drop weight quick you could try very low carb mon-fri and higher fats and then higher carbs at weekend
  • citymouses
    citymouses Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Help! I lost 30 pounds and over 25 inches just by eating right and exercising! Accomplished two 5k"s and one 10K. I was very proud of myself and feeling Great! In June I had to have a hysterectomy and no exercise for over 3 months! I have gained over 15 pounds back and haven't done my measurements- too scared! I have gotten out of my good habits of working out and eating right from being "down" so long. What can I do to kick start myself and my system again?! Need motivation!
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    1) I think the PP is just saying that it is really hard to know what to adjust when you aren't starting from a place where you know "this is how many calories I am consuming". That would probably be a good place to start....weigh and measure food, at least for a 1-2 weeks to see if what you *think* you're eating is comparable to what you are actually eating. Also---if you are eating green vegetables....I think it is pretty safe to say that this is not going to be where you need to cut back!

2) Your physio is telling you to avoid hiit, but you can run? A good HIIT program can be modified to decrease impact, whereas running cannot. As a trainer....I don't think I agree with this!
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    rsenor wrote: »
    I don't think you need a food scale especially with veggies. That being said, watch your portions as follows: protein per meal should be the size of your palm, carb per meal should be the size of your fist. You already did bread so try to wipe out all your simple carbs: pasta, rice, bagels, potato. Basically if its white, think twice.

Once you KNOW what those food portions look like from the standpoint that you have acutally looked a weighed portion this will work....but what if the OP has extremely large or small palms? It becomes subjective.

And forgive me....but don't speak in absolutes....telling someone that to wipe out something like potatoes??? No. There is moderation to consider, but you don't have to cut out food you enjoy. Just start with figuring out your baseline: how many calories you need, what that looks like when you weigh and measure it. Then move on to the more complex issues: Macros/Micros to make sure your nutrition is where it needs to be.