Does putting milk in black tea negates the health benefits of milk?

Options
I am drinking too much black tea now a days with milk i am curious will black tea negates the health benefits of milk?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Or does putting milk into black tea negate the benefits of the tea? conundrum
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Didn't I answer this for you in another thread?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Or does putting milk into black tea negate the benefits of the tea? conundrum

::laugh:: This was my thought exactly.

But seriously, no. Neither negates the other.
  • AamirKhan2016
    AamirKhan2016 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Didn't I answer this for you in another thread?

yeah you did. i posted here first
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Acceptable wrote: »
    I am drinking too much black tea now a days with milk i am curious will black tea negates the health benefits of milk?

I recommend skim milk for your tea to reduce the amount of calories and fat intake.

What's wrong with fat?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options

I recommend skim milk for your tea to reduce the amount of calories and fat intake.

What's wrong with fat?

It makes you fat. Doi.
    Kidding. I'm kidding. :wink:
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

What's wrong with fat?

It makes you fat. Doi.
    Kidding. I'm kidding. :wink:

:wink:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I drink around 8 cups of tea with milk everyday. As someone else mentioned, you're getting the benefits of both. Neither negates the benefits of the other. Why would you think it would?
  • AamirKhan2016
    AamirKhan2016 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I drink around 8 cups of tea with milk everyday. As someone else mentioned, you're getting the benefits of both. Neither negates the benefits of the other. Why would you think it would?

because i read in many articles
  • Christine_72
    Options

because i read in many articles

Could you please post these articles? I'd like to see the reasoning behind this...
  • _angee
    _angee Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Supposedly the milk proteins binds with the flavanols in black and green tea, making it harder for our body to absorb the health benefits and basically cancels out the antioxidant activity
  • Christine_72
    Options
    _angee wrote: »
    Supposedly the milk proteins binds with the flavanols in black and green tea, making it harder for our body to absorb the health benefits and basically cancels out the antioxidant activity

I drink tea coz I love the taste, have never really thought about the antioxidant activity in it. But thanks for posting :smile:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    _angee wrote: »
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10715760100300261

This study shows that when we add milk to tea we do still get the benefits of the flavonols.
    Addition of milk does not affect the absorption of flavonols from tea in man

Tea is a major source of flavonols, a subclass of antioxidant flavonoids present in plant foods which potentially are beneficial to human health. Milk added to tea, a frequent habit in the United Kingdom, could inhibit absorption of tea flavonoids, because proteins can bind flavonoids effectively. Eighteen healthy volunteers each consumed two out of four supplements during three days: black tea, black tea with milk, green tea and water. A cup of the supplement was consumed every 2 hours each day for a total of 8 cups a day. The supplements provided about 100 μmol quercetin glycosides and about 60 – 70 μmol kaempferol glycosides. Addition of milk to black tea (15 ml milk to 135 ml tea) did not change the area under the curve of the plasma concentration-time curve of quercetin or kaempferol. Plasma concentrations reached were about 50 nM quercetin and 30 – 45 nM kaempferol. We conclude that flavonols are absorbed from tea and that their bioavailability is not affected by addition of milk.