Tumeric?

Options
I am flat footed, and I wear doctor prescribed orthotics. I am in the construction rental industry, and I am on my feet 10 to 12 hours a day. By the end of the day my feet are sore and throbbing. Standard OTC medicines like Aleve and Advil won't even put a dent in the pain. Sometimes if I double up the dose I will get a little bit of relief. One of my mechanics at work swears by Tumeric. He said there's nothing that compares to it and it will most likely alleviate most of the pain. Can anyone give me any input on this, or make any other suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• wahagent05
    wahagent05 Posts: 446 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yes tumeric will work! It is good for so many things...google Tumeric for foot pain to see just how awesome it is!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Tumeric has anti-inflammatory properties but I do not know that it will work for everyone. Hubby cooks with the powdered tumeric (check out the spices in the baking aisle) -- puts it on fried eggs and other things. You can buy the root fresh (unpowdered) and grate it. Icing with gel packs and then massaging your feet two or three times a day can help also.
    You can also buy yourself an at home TENS machine/unit.
  • sandycoast
    sandycoast Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It has absolutely worked wonders for my inflammation and aches! I use dry turmeric in all my cooking, and I juice fresh turmeric every morning (along with celery, ginger and lemons).
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Turmeric is good for reducing inflammation. If your foot pain is caused by inflammation, it's worth trying turmeric to see if it helps you. It probably won't do much of anything if the cause of your pain is something else. Have you told your doctor that the orthotics aren't giving you enough relief? Maybe there's something else s/he can suggest. Make sure they look at the shoes you wear at work, to see if they're part of the problem.
  • JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard of it causing sleeplessness? Was thinking of taking with dinner as I've read it works better with a little fat (olive oil, coconut, etc). I try to spread the vitamins I take throughout the day but don't it to work against me.
    Help!
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Tumeric in the form of Curamin (strongest supplemental form I know of) didn't work for my foot pain at all. At $80 a bottle I was expecting a whole lot more. It does help my mom's shoulder pain though. I haven't tried it in food form but I hear if you do to use black pepper as well in the recipe because that makes it more easily used by our bodies. What I found super helpful was Arnicare gel made by Boiron. Like $8 on Amazon. All natural as well and really works on swelling. Of course ymmv.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Don't get it on the carpet. It will make a nasty stain that you'll never get out. Ask me how I know...
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Do you guys mean turmeric?

I eat a lot of turmeric (it's an Indian spice). It's a spice that generally, over a lifetime, is very good for inflammation in the body. I don't think eating a few servings will make a difference though. It's like drinking the anti oxidants in tea or the good fats in avocados. It's part of a lifestyle.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Turmeric is a powerful spice. Research reputable sources on how much to take safely. Too much can cause bleeding issues with capillaries. I studied nutrition in college. I love turmeric but I had capillary issues with it when I took it in capsule form. It is a potent spice. And super healthy when taken in reasonable amounts.
  • Quavercat
    Quavercat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There are some excellent articles about Turmeric on GreenMedInfo. http://www.greenmedinfo.com/substance/turmeric
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have Multiple Sclerosis and have heard that it is helpful. I haven't started taking it yet, but plan to very soon.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yes, it can help. arnica can too(as a cream)
    you can also roll your foot on a frozen water bottle.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Do you guys mean turmeric?

I eat a lot of turmeric (it's an Indian spice). It's a spice that generally, over a lifetime, is very good for inflammation in the body. I don't think eating a few servings will make a difference though. It's like drinking the anti oxidants in tea or the good fats in avocados. It's part of a lifestyle.

+1. I use Turmeric as an spice. I would not buy a pill or a tablet. I have no guarantees that there is really any Turmeric in those.
    Remember, supplements are not regulated in the USA. Anybody can fabricate anything and call it whatever they want. Buyer beware.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Comes in pill form. Just the powder in a capsule. Buy from a store you trust.
    (I don't like the taste in my food every single day).
    Fish oil is another anti inflammatory.

Google: Plantar Facitis exercises
    I do them 5 minutes every night.
    A must if you suffer pain.

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Another thing you can do is to soak your feet in Epsom salts. It contains magnesium which also helps relieve pain.
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Not really what you were looking for, but try adding it into eggs. Tastes awesome.
  • btinghutch
    btinghutch Posts: 26 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Tumeric and Cumin can be a migraine trigger for some people. I found out the hard way :neutral: and had an allergic reaction. A small amount and I'm fine,,but I followed a recipe that called for about a tsp of tumeric, and my throat started closing up and I had a thumping high blood pressure headache the rest of the day. I do not have blood pressure problems either. Maybe not go gung ho right off the bat!haha,,try a little
    It is supposed to be wonderful for a lot of things, and I still use both tumeric and cumin, I just use a 1/4 of the amount
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Ibuprofen in gel form? My doctor gave me some for a bad back and it did offer some relief without the internal damage of extra tablets!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Another thing you can do is to soak your feet in Epsom salts. It contains magnesium which also helps relieve pain.

Totally agree about the Epsom (magnesium) salt!!! :) It can be bought cheaply at any drug store.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Curcumin, the active compound in turmeric, appears to have some anti-inflammatory properties, perhaps on a scale similar to NSAIDS like Ibuprofen. That is, however, for the active compound, which getting the levels needed for that effect would not happen from eating turmeric as food.