Body Fat Percentage Dropping, Weight Stable

Options
For the past few weeks I've been losing weight ever-so-slowly or just staying the same. My body fat percentage has been steadily dropping though (rough estimate - I have a scale that measures it). This week I've gained over 2 pounds (with body fat percentage dropping still).

I can tell I'm swollen with water retention as my ring is stuck fast on my finger. The water retention isn't hormonal, but I suspect sodium-related. I seem to be increasingly sensitive to the effects of sodium.

I drink a lot of water (but I'm not good about logging it). Usually about 12 cups a day.

I weight train 2-3 times a week and do cardio 4-6 times a week. I know I'm building muscle.

I eat my exercise calories.

Thoughts or past experiences like this? I'm clinging to the hope that if I continue to increase my water, avoid sodium, keep to my eating plan, and continue my exercise, my body will eventually release and I'll have a nice, solid weight loss to record?

Replies

• anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It's funny how that happens. When I weighed 125 lbs, my body fat was at 23% and I wore a size 7/8.
    When I weighed 145 lbs, my body fat was at 11% and I wore a size 1/2.
    I didn't use a scales often back then so when I got on the scales at the doctors I paniced when I saw the 145, but realized that I was all muscle and hardly any fat. I'm trying to get back there again!
  • cyfairslam
    cyfairslam Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    How is the best way to moniter body fat?

Isn't there a simple hand held device that has some type of small current?
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say that even though you eat back your exercise calories that you may still not be eating enough with all the exercise you do (muscles continue to burn extra calories long after you stop exercising).

How heavy of weights are you using?
    Current weight?
    Goal weight?
  • Kathryn72
    Kathryn72 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Not eating enough?! I like the sound of that!

I lift weights for an hour in a choreographed class, so for each muscle group we lift for about 4 minutes or so. I'm not lifting terrific amounts. Squats - 35 pounds. Chest - 20 pounds on the bar, 8 pound hand weights. Back - 25 pounds. Triceps - tricep pushups, 8 pound hand weights, 15 pound bar. Biceps - 15 pound bar. Lunges - inverted (? back leg is up on a bench) with 16 pounds. More squats at 35 pounds. Shoulders - pushups, 8 pound hand weights.

Current weight - 153lb

Goal weight - 135lb

I'm fascinated by the 145lb, size 1/2 story! Interesting, because at my annual doctor appt several months ago, my weight was up from last year by 5 pounds but my waist was smaller.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I don't know the science, all I know is the reality for me.

I lost 14 inches before I started dropping numbers. After that the weight seems to come off at a steady 2 pounds. But it took a month. The tape measure is my best friend.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs the same as fat, but takes up less room in the body so maybe you are just gaining muscle?
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I bet even though the scale isn't dropping much you are getting smaller and really isn't that what you are after. Keep an eye on those measurements but dropping bodyfat is a good thing I would find motivation in that number and keep doing what you're doing.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    How is the best way to moniter body fat?

Isn't there a simple hand held device that has some type of small current?

The handheld monitors the upper portions of your body from my recent gathering of info. So if you are smaller in your chest area and shoulders it will read less than what your true BF% is.

The scale is better for people who carry their weight in their mid-section, butt and thighs. The figure it gives will be better but of course not 100% accurate.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If your body fat is dropping but you're gaining, you're obviously gaining MUSCLE. Don't worry about it!
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    It's funny how that happens. When I weighed 125 lbs, my body fat was at 23% and I wore a size 7/8.
    When I weighed 145 lbs, my body fat was at 11% and I wore a size 1/2.
    I didn't use a scales often back then so when I got on the scales at the doctors I paniced when I saw the 145, but realized that I was all muscle and hardly any fat. I'm trying to get back there again!

WOW!!!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The lean muscles they have are probably expanding but it takes a very long time to gain lean muscle once its been lost.