Is there such a thing?

Options
polar5554
polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
as roasting red potatoes with no fat (no oil/butter)??

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Not sure but I think they'd just get all dried out. I know when I make them, I only use 1 Tbsp of olive oil for a big batch so per serving you don't get much oil - and really, if you're using olive oil, it's good for you so there's not really any harm there.
    Sorry, that doesn't really answer your question...
  • Lholford
    Lholford Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well, I would imagine you could. I slice regular Idaho potatos, lay them flat on a cookie sheet and then salt and pepper them. Bake at about 425F for 20-25 minutes. The kids love them and can be served in place of fatty french fries. I would imagine you could do the same with red potatos.
  • Girlbirder
    Girlbirder Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Use fry light to make my roast potatoes, and chips (oven baked) and wedges!
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Toss them in a little extra virgin olive oil put a little kosher salt, cracked pepper and fresh rosemary in there too. It will not be fat free but olive oil is a good fat and is heart healthy. Tasty and good for you. Can't ask for much more!
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    I would think it would be just like a baked potato. I don't use any oil cooking them but they have the skin to protect them.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    You could boil them.

I make sweet potato "fries" for my wife by cutting them into rings, placing them on a cooking sheet, and baking them.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    use coconut oil. it's very heart healthy.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil cooking spray. Just cut them up, spray with cooking spray, salt and pepper, mix with your hands to distribute. Bake as usual. You might want to stir them up halfway through baking. You might also like to spray the pan too.
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I spray a cookie sheet with 0 calorie canola spray.

That is how I bake my fries anyway :)
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've seen several ways of preparing them without oil. Some people toss them with broth or lemon juice and herbs before roasting. Google "fat free roasted potatoes" and you'll find quite a few recipes.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I use pam olive oil spray, butter spray or the no calorie spray butter you find at the store. Mine turn out really well!
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    try cutting up potatoes, put them in a ziploc baggie with a little extra virgin olive oil and a packet of hidden valley ranch dressing mix. shake it up and put in a 13x9 pan and bake in the oven. yum! and evoo is actually good for you!
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I use an olive oil spritzer. Spray lightly and season with Mrs. Dash for no sodium but lots of flavor. I cut them in halves or wedges depending on the size.
  • RebelBrew
    RebelBrew Posts: 55
    Options
    as roasting red potatoes with no fat (no oil/butter)??

yes you can roast them with out any oil but the oil makes them brown up real nice that you wont get with out