I can't believe the difference!!

Options
2 weeks on Atkins and I can't believe the difference in my face already!!!

I have 2 pictures posted. The one in the cowboy hat is my Before picture and the one in my main pic is one I took with my camera phone this morning!!!

I am down 23 pounds since January 1, 2009 and my DH noticed this morning..................

He is usually the last to notice and usually after a substancial amount is lost.

I can not weight until I get down into Onederland and hopefully by spring, I will need a complete new wardrobe!!!!

Replies

• LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    2 weeks on Atkins and I can't believe the difference in my face already!!!

I have 2 pictures posted. The one in the cowboy hat is my Before picture and the one in my main pic is one I took with my camera phone this morning!!!

I am down 23 pounds since January 1, 2009 and my DH noticed this morning..................

He is usually the last to notice and usually after a substancial amount is lost.

I can not weight until I get down into Onederland and hopefully by spring, I will need a complete new wardrobe!!!!
  • Cloe
    Cloe Posts: 435
    Options
    Good stuff.....keep it going!:flowerforyou:
  • stormysmom
    Options
    Way to go :drinker: :smile:
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is an amazing difference already! Good for you!:drinker: :love: :flowerforyou:
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    I know, I couldn't believe the difference either..................

I have a distorted viewing of myself anyway, so seeing myself in the mirror is not the same as seeing a picture of myself!!!

Thanks for the compliments and the encouragement!!!
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    Congrats that is amazing!!

Keep it up and you will be at your goal in no time!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Wow. I can't believe it either! I sw your picture and I thought it was a new member. Then when I clicked the profile I really noticed that name and went... OMG Lioness!!! Holy Sh**!

Amazing difference.

Be gentle on yourself with that Atkins, I have heard some scary stuff about staying on it too long- but as a jump start it can't hurt :wink:
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Wow. I can't believe it either! I sw your picture and I thought it was a new member. Then when I clicked the profile I really noticed that name and went... OMG Lioness!!! Holy Sh**!

Amazing difference.

Be gentle on yourself with that Atkins, I have heard some scary stuff about staying on it too long- but as a jump start it can't hurt :wink:

I have done it before...............

I know a few people that are maintaining with Atkins and they are doing GREAT!!! Atkins is one of the most healthy ways to eat and make lifestyle changes with if DONE CORRECTLY!!

Most people try to stay on induction and that is where the problem lies, it is done incorrectly, then gets bashed because of it. There is a science behind it and it really works.

There is nothing wrong with Atkins if you follow the carb ladder up and add in your veggies, fruit, nuts, etc............grains in limited quantities are the last to be added in near maintenance.............I am trying to get my eating plan all organic, free of chemicals, antibiotics in meats, etc............It is hard to do because of expense.

My Doctor put me on Atkins because I am diabetic and that is the only thing that puts my blood sugar and blood pressure in check. I will be off all meds by summer time.

I am on limited exercise due to rehabbing injuries incurred in a car accident over the summer.

I just completed Atkins Phase 1 (Induction) and I am moving into Atkins Phase 2 either tonight or over the weekend...........I have to go grocery shopping as I am looking forward to adding in yogurt, strawberries, raw almonds and zucchini into my eating plan this week.!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised your doctor chose Atkins for diabetes. I know a bit about it because my sister has Type 1 and it runs in my family and I've always heard that drastically changing your blood sugar (either way) with diabetes is dangerous (removing carbs completely will alter your body chemistry dramatically, usually dropping your blood sugar). I'm no doctor, yours may have a good reason to do so, just expressing my surprise.

I found this article on it at WebMD.
    http://diabetes.webmd.com/features/diabetes-weight-loss-finding-the-right-path

But hey, if you feel good, are under a doctor's care, and it's working for you, I can say nothing but congratz for you. Best of luck.:drinker:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised your doctor chose Atkins for diabetes. I know a bit about it because my sister has Type 1 and it runs in my family and I've always heard that drastically changing your blood sugar (either way) with diabetes is dangerous (removing carbs completely will alter your body chemistry dramatically, usually dropping your blood sugar). I'm no doctor, yours may have a good reason to do so, just expressing my surprise.

But hey, if you feel good, are under a doctor's care, and it's working for you, I can say nothing but congratz for you. Best of luck.:drinker:

Ketone production can be dangerous for diabetics, but with Atkins she's still getting carbohydrates, so they're probably in levels high enough to prevent the accumulation of many ketones. But you'll more often see ketoacidosis in untreated diabetics.

LL, you look great!! :happy:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Holy Cow!!

23 pounds in 14 days :noway:

I'd like to say Congratulations.... (so I will)

Congratulations! :smile:

But I also gotta say, I'm a bit worried about you.... that's so fast :ohwell:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Ketone production can be dangerous for diabetics, but with Atkins she's still getting carbohydrates, so they're probably in levels high enough to prevent the accumulation of many ketones. But you'll more often see ketoacidosis in untreated diabetics.

I thought the whole point of phase one was to drastically reduce the amount of carbs and force ketosys? I'm not an Atkins guru, so I could be way off, but that's what I've read about it.

Atkins phase 1 is no more then 20 to 30 grams of carbs per day isnt it?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

I thought the whole point of phase one was to drastically reduce the amount of carbs and force ketosys? I'm not an Atkins guru, so I could be way off, but that's what I've read about it.

Atkins phase 1 is no more then 20 to 30 grams of carbs per day isnt it?

Yes, but she only did Phase 1 for two weeks. If she monitors her ketone levels with her BG then there really isn't an issue. If she's not exercising, Phase 2 will probably have enough carbs not to induce ketosis. I'm assuming her Dr would keep these things in mind.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I dunno, I'm not equipped to debate this. I'm no doctor. You know more about this stuff then I do. Just sounds a little out of the realm of normal to me so I thought I'd mention it. I'll have to ask my sister about it. She's a former councillor at the Clara Barton Camp for diabetic youths and knows an aweful lot about diabetes and I'm sure she has researched this.

new note, I saw that Atkins has a diabetes specific program out there. interesting. LL, did you do this new program? Or is it even new? LOL! I'm so not smart on this diet.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Lioness....you're looking wonderful:bigsmile: ...for those folks that are concerned on the weight dropping off a bit faster ...often many lbs. are dropped quickly at first when we change up our eating from not healthy to much healthier, true, many lbs. can be water weight. But it still shows up on our bodies, weight is weigh....right? :tongue: I feel much lighter dropping lbs. even if part of it is water.

You're looking beautiful, I too had to look at the other picture you mentioned...can't believe how much younger you look, I think it's often due to how good we begin to feel about ourselves as we gain control back over our eating.:heart:

I think it's awesome you all are concerned about her...that speaks volumes about the caring on this site:flowerforyou:

Under a doctors care I think if a person has a doctor they feel comfy with and the doctor knows them well, there are various things a doctor might recommend to one patient as long as they keep in touch and another patient they might not recommend the same thing too, perhaps.:wink::flowerforyou:

Thanks for posting and sharing your good news:flowerforyou: :drinker:

FC:heart:
  • LeanLioness
    Options

You don't remove all carbs completely when doing Atkins. I have been to 2 different endocrinologists that both advocate Atkins or South Beach for treatment of diabetes.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Don't get me wrong LL, I don't mean to question your judgement. I think it's absolutely great that you have done so well. I have just had my eyes opened recently to the flaws that doctors can have. After my wife was misdiagnosed twice, I did a little research and was rather shocked at some of the numbers. It's amazing how many misdiagnosed conditions there have been recently. A lot of it, I believe, is because doctors are forced to take on too many patients because of rising costs, and thus can't devote the time to each one that they would otherwise do.

So after all that, I just have been tending to first question my doctors, then research it and if it lines up with what they say I feel a lot better.

For instance, did you know that a recent study by the American College of Nutrition cited that only 14% of the GP's surveyed felt that they had adequate knowledge of nutrition to give advice to patients.
    - Journal of the American College of Nutrition, Vol. 27, No. 2, 287-298 (2008)

So I guess, my questions just come from my own concerns and I appologize if they didn't come off as congradulatory.

Once again, AWESOME job. Hope you have much continued success with it!
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Just have to say... CONGRATS! on losing so much in just 2 weeks.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Good job for losing the weight. I lost 15 pounds my first two weeks, I think that when you start a new plan that you drop a lot off quickly bc of water loss. I know a lot of people that have lost a lot of weight using Atkins (most gained all of it back plus more), and if it works for you good for you. I just want to set one thing straight. When people, weither it be doctors or a book, that say something is the absolute best way to lose weight, just remember that it's an opinion. There is no best way that works the best for everyone. If this works for you and you can follow the eating guide lines for the rest of your life that great. I have one uncle that uses atkins to help control his diabetes, and a dad that keep his diabetes controlled just eating a well balanced diet.

Again, congradulations.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Holy Cow!!

23 pounds in 14 days :noway:

I'd like to say Congratulations.... (so I will)

Congratulations! :smile:

But I also gotta say, I'm a bit worried about you.... that's so fast :ohwell:

Thanks, but it is mostly water weight and I have a lot of water weight, so I will drop pounds pretty fast until most of the water weight comes off.................

The first time my Dr put me on Atkins was in 2003 when I was first diagnosed. I was forced into the lifestyle change, not because I wanted to do it. It never stuck until this year............

Fall and winter are hard for me to stick to low carb, so I figured if I started in January (at pretty much the start of winter) that next fall and winter I would have no excuses for not sticking to it and make the lifestyle change.............

Spring and summer is sooo easy on Atkins, lots of fresh veggies, grilling chicken and fish on the grill, etc, fresh berries and melons.................winter time I don't like raw, cold veggies because it is cold oustide already and there are not many cooked veggies that I like. My favorite fruits are not in season, and I get the winter blahs.............