Any advice when you plateau on weight?

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions what to do once you've hit a plateau on your weight. I'm still aiming for 5 to 10 pounds but can't lose anything. I'm very active and eat really clean. I've been doing the insanity program and it requires me to at least eat 1800 calories a day. I've been stuck like this for almost a month. I'm 28 years old,5'5 and currently weigh in at 141.
Thanks!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Tighten up your logging. Do you use a food scale?
  • michellevaldez733
    michellevaldez733 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes, I pretty much measure most of my meats, but I'm not sure if I'm not eating enough.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Number 1 would be to use a digital kitchen scale if you're not already.....

Number 2, check your water intake.....you should be drinking at least, minimum, half your body weight, in fluid ounces of water, per day......I weight 179.....I personally drink 89.5 (90 lol) ounces of water per day....minimum,,,,,it sounds like a lot.....but really remember the old 8 glasses a day adage? Drink your 8 cups and you're more than likely almost there.....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    If you've been doing Insanity for a month or more, then it's likely your body has adapted to how you utilize calories for the exercise. Have you been progressively increasing the intensity, or just going through the motions? Also, the less you have to lose, the smaller your deficit should be.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You need to weigh the calorie dense foods too.
  • skorsk
    skorsk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Change up your routine and shock your body. Try heavy lifting and no cardio.
  • michellevaldez733
    michellevaldez733 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you've been doing Insanity for a month or more, then it's likely your body has adapted to how you utilize calories for the exercise. Have you been progressively increasing the intensity, or just going through the motions? Also, the less you have to lose, the smaller your deficit should be.

Well I've been trying to keep the intensity up as much as possible. However, the days I go through the motions I run at least two miles at the gym. When you say "the less you have to lose, the smaller your deficit should be" what do you you mean?
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Try reducing your calories by 200 or so, and see if that helps.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    If you know you measure everything correctly and you are staying the same you are eating at maintenance. You need to cut back some to lose. If you don't weigh all your food I'd bet you are eating more than you think.
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Have you noticed other changes like your clothes getting loose? You could be losing inches and not lbs. I'm sure you've heard the adage muscle weighs more than fat. So you could still be losing fat and not losing weight. It's important to know the difference. The weight on the scale truly does not matter, it's how you look and feel!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    At a certain point you either have to cut more calories or burn more calories or accept a (possibly very) slow rate of loss. If I were you I'd cut calories but I've never done Insanity so perhaps if I did I'd quit it and do another form of exercise.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Diet for weight loss, exercise for fitness. The people who wrote the Insanity food plan don't know your exact stats and history. They are giving estimates based on generalizations. If you are eating 1,800 cals and not losing, you are eating too much.

You are already in a healthy weight range, so weight loss will be slow, you should expect around a half pound per week.

Start using the food scale for everything you possibly can and make sure you are really eating 1,800. If you don't start to see the scale move, reduce your calories a little and go from there. Good luck!
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Yes, I pretty much measure most of my meats, but I'm not sure if I'm not eating enough.

That's a lot of vague terminology (no offense meant), and that may be your problem. Try weighing everything - grains, meats, cheeses, etc. Solid food gets weighed, liquids (milk, olive oil) get measured.