Good Fat v. Bad Fat ?

Options
NBabi91
NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
I am a little over in fat today but it is from having almonds. I was wondering if our bodies metabolize good fats differently from bad fats? Or is fat from almonds (or other healthy foods) the same as fat from junk food?

Replies

• trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    My opinion is in the minority on this site, but the research I've done tells me that the only fat that's a truly bad fat is trans fat. Fat from meat will raise your so-called "bad" cholesterol, but it will also make it fluffy and less dense, which is actually good and not bad.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    My opinion is in the minority on this site, but the research I've done tells me that the only fat that's a truly bad fat is trans fat. Fat from meat will raise your so-called "bad" cholesterol, but it will also make it fluffy and less dense, which is actually good and not bad.

Couldn't agree more.
  • garcias1308
    garcias1308 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are different kinds of fat. There is saturated fat, unsaturated fat, and trans fat.

You always want to avoid trans fat, which comes from foods like fried foods, or fast food. The difference between unsaturated fat and saturated fat is that one comes from animals (saturated) and one doesn't (unsaturated). Foods that have saturated fat in them are foods like meat, milk, butter. And foods that have unsaturated fat are foods like avocados, canola oil, and olive oil, and ceertain margarines (as long as they don't also have trans fat). If you had to choose which one was "healthier" it would be unsatruated fat, because it isn't connected to heart disease or high cholesterol like saturated fat.

Just remember, when you choose your other foods throughout your day; like milk, cheese, yogurt, sour cream, etc.; you need to choose either fat-free or low-fat options. Because, obviously, having too much of any fat isn't good for your body/diet. However, when you ate your almonds today you were eating unsaturated fat.

Hope this helped!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    This is from a weight lifting site that also has a diet plan:
    Eat Healthy Fats. Healthy fats improve fat loss and health. They also satiate, digest slowly and are cheap. Eat healthy fats with every meal and avoid artificial trans -fats & margarine. Balance your fat intake.

Saturated Fats. Increase testosterone levels. Dietary cholesterol is not bound to blood cholesterol. Real butter, whole eggs, red meat.
    Monounsaturated Fats. Protect against heart diseases and cancers. Extra virgin olive oil, olives, mixed nuts.
    Polyunsaturated Fats. Increase testosterone levels, promote fat loss, decrease inflammation, … Fish oil, ground flax seeds, mixed nuts.

So I would say that because it was nuts that you're fine.
  • Mandz1984
    Mandz1984 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I also agree there are good fats and bad fats. Avocado, nuts, oily fish, coconut, etc is good fats. You need them to be healthy. Bad fat would be more saturated fats from fast food, chips, etc. I even think meat, full fat dairy and butter are fine in moderation. But I know that's not a common belief!
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    You're fine... plus - I peeked at your diary and you're only over by 13g and still under your calorie goal... not a bad day at all.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    To those thinking saturated fat is bad for you; here is an excellent article (with the studies cited) that details why saturated fats are good for you.

http://www.coconutoil.com/truth_saturated_fats.htm
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    To those thinking saturated fat is bad for you; here is an excellent article (with the studies cited) that details why saturated fats are good for you.

http://www.coconutoil.com/truth_saturated_fats.htm

Interesting article...

It should also be said that 2 years ago the ONLY thing I did to my diet macro-wise was to lower my saturated fats. I ate the same total amount of fats, same amount of carbs and protein and the same amount of total calories doing the same exercise...and my cholesterol went down which is exactly what my doctor said would happen when he suggested it to me.