Anyone else trying to gain?

Options
bmcook95
bmcook95 Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Hey y'all. I'm really struggling to meet my calorie goal everyday...reaching out for some support !

Replies

• tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Been trying to gain since November 2014 after losing 130+ pounds from August 2013-September 2014. Feel free to add me if you like but best thing I can tell you is, relax and try to let go a little on food choices, find some higher calorie foods and eat them, just don't go too overboard. Say 500 calories over maintenance weekly.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I am currently on a "bulk" which is a way of saying that "I'm eating in calorific excess whilst doing weight training in order to gain muscle (although I know that I will also gain some fat)".
    • When I do this I weigh myself daily and use a 7 day average as my official weight.
    • I gradually up my calories from maintenance until I find a point at which I'm gaining 0.5 to 1lb per week.
    • I use MFP to set my protein to 1 - 1.5g per lb body weight and fat to 0.7g per lb body weight and then the rest is carbohydrate.
    • I weight train hard 3 or 4 times a week.
    • I don't do any cardio.
    • I rest well and sleep 7 to 8 hours a night.

You're unlikely to do it just eating lean protein and simple veggies: For fats - nuts, nut butters, avocado, cheeses will help. Personally I find it hard to hit the carbs without resorting to chocolate, cake, and some occasional bread. Ice cream is also good but Mrs StealthHealth would object to me sitting, eating it in front of her and it's not really something that I can have @ my desk @ work so it is an occasional treat.