mid 40's and trying to lose 10 pounds - struggling with late night eating!

Options
Looking for some support/accountability partner to help overcome some weight loss obstacles- namely late night (post 7/8pm) eating!

Replies

• Chenry18
    Chenry18 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Aghhhh that was me! Adding you
  • ellie352
    ellie352 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Still struggling with post dinner eating that seems to sabotage me. Willpower is low at the end of the day and it's hard! Haven't been able to meet or go below my calorie goal in a long time :neutral:
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth after dinner and then just pour yourself a large glass of water and keep it near you until you go to bed
  • Sonieboom
    Sonieboom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So difficult for me too, my worst time of day. I try to stay busy playing games on phone but it is like an obsession!
  • LizSDavis
    LizSDavis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That is my bad time too! I've realized going to bed early helps! Of course that's not always practical, but it really helps.
  • Chubby_bunnyy
    Chubby_bunnyy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I eat late too. Maybe it's okay if it's just 100-200 calories if you have it to spare. They always say drinking water helps
  • ellie352
    Options
    Thanks! Appreciate the support! :)
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 6 meals a day, so by necessity my last meal is between 8:30-9. Maybe just make sure you eat smaller portions earlier in the day so you have the calories to spare.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I leave 200 cals for late night eating since I can't fall asleep otherwise. I don't consider this a problem. I have dinner around 9.
  • mpfand
    mpfand Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have a bowl of popcorn around 8:00 every evening. I put a serving size in a bowl and then put the bag away. I will log this early in the day so I don't go over on calories.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    From a similar thread earlier today:
    Plan a late night snack into your daily amount.

Throughout my weight loss phases I ate cake, chocolate, peanut butter and drank beer and wine late at night (not all on the same day you understand!) But, I did so in a controlled manner - I pre-logged most of my food and included a late night snack in that.

If I over ate in the day the late night snack had to go. This, I found, was a good way to help me avoid the office biscuits & chocolates that often get passed around - I'll always opt for a small slice of cake with Mrs StealthHealth rather than an afternoon pastry in the office.
  • ndraughn
    ndraughn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I find that if I keep my hands busy crafting I am not as willing to stop top get something to eat in the evening.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Save up calories through the day so you have some available to snack. When you eat your calories has no effect on fat loss as long as you meet your calorie goal.

If you are finding meeting your goal so difficult, the other possibility is that you may have to aggressive of a weight loss goal. If you are set for 2 pounds a week, dial it back to 1 pound and see what your calories come to. Another option is go for a brisk walk, run, bike ride and gain some extra calories to eat from that. As I said, meal timing and meal frequency don't have any direct effect on fat loss. The only thing they do serve is to help with calorie compliance. If you current eating pattern is not helping your stick with your calorie goal, then it might help to move when you eat your calories around, that is, eat less in the morning, and more at night.

EDIT:
    I just realized you are only looking to lose 10 pounds. At that point of weight loss anything more than .75 pounds a week is likely too aggressive a goal. Even .5 pounds a week might be more realistic.
  • ndraughn
    ndraughn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My issues is with work. People are always bringing in things to share any suggestions on how to resist temptation? Today some brought doughnuts ugh.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    gum, water. Mainly say No, what you eat today shows up tomorrow!
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 6 meals a day, so by necessity my last meal is between 8:30-9. Maybe just make sure you eat smaller portions earlier in the day so you have the calories to spare.

Agree! I am all about saving room for snacks. Depriving myself of a snack when I want one is a recipe for disaster for me...I'm bound to give in and devour a whole bag of chips or something. Popcorn is an awesome late night snack...you can have a nice generous portion for about 100 calories. I'm a big fan of making your own single serve bags too...just put seeds in a brown paper lunch bag and microwave for a couple minutes and sprinkle some salt. mmmm.
  • Latitude11Courtney
    Latitude11Courtney Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Find a different routine and committ to it for two weeks!
  • musikplayr
    musikplayr Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Seems like either you shouldn't be so hard on yourself, because over time you'll get there, or, not to be harsh, but decide that the 10 lbs is more important than the snack, find alternatives and just do it. I love run on sentences.
  • ellie352
    Options
    Save up calories through the day so you have some available to snack. When you eat your calories has no effect on fat loss as long as you meet your calorie goal.

If you are finding meeting your goal so difficult, the other possibility is that you may have to aggressive of a weight loss goal. If you are set for 2 pounds a week, dial it back to 1 pound and see what your calories come to. Another option is go for a brisk walk, run, bike ride and gain some extra calories to eat from that. As I said, meal timing and meal frequency don't have any direct effect on fat loss. The only thing they do serve is to help with calorie compliance. If you current eating pattern is not helping your stick with your calorie goal, then it might help to move when you eat your calories around, that is, eat less in the morning, and more at night.

EDIT:
    I just realized you are only looking to lose 10 pounds. At that point of weight loss anything more than .75 pounds a week is likely too aggressive a goal. Even .5 pounds a week might be more realistic.

Yes - i had my goal at 1 pound/week but was always going over (only 1200 calories a day!)...so i switched it to .5 pounds /week. Still going over but by less...feel like Im eating to maintain and just feels so hard to lose! thanks for your thoughts!
  • ellie352
    Options
    musikplayr wrote: »
    Seems like either you shouldn't be so hard on yourself, because over time you'll get there, or, not to be harsh, but decide that the 10 lbs is more important than the snack, find alternatives and just do it. I love run on sentences.

yes - must be kind to ourselves! thanks for the reminder!