How to have an hourglass body shape?

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I would just like to say that I feel that the whole curvy hourglass craze is so overrated. I am banana shaped with boobs just because I had to fork the money over for them. People are being brainwashed because overweight women who celebrate huge butts have hijacked the media. Be healthy, lift weights and eat well. Forget what dumb people have to say about YOUR body. Everyone's opinion is based on what they see on TV and what is being preached to them as "sexy". I am so over obese women flaunting their "curves" all over the media and the people who eat it up faster than you can say photoshop.

If you are curvy, great. If you are not, great. I guarantee you your body type is perfect just for you. Be healthy and fit to feel good and screw what other people say.

Ummm...I'm not really going to touch on this at the moment, besides to mention that you don't have to be obese or even overweight to have an hourglass figure. There's also nothing wrong with liking or preferring the figure, though it doesn't mean you're going to magically get it

I'm bmi 20.5 and have curves. I was once anorexic at bmi 16 and still had curves. I'm hippy
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I would just like to say that I feel that the whole curvy hourglass craze is so overrated. I am banana shaped with boobs just because I had to fork the money over for them. People are being brainwashed because overweight women who celebrate huge butts have hijacked the media. Be healthy, lift weights and eat well. Forget what dumb people have to say about YOUR body. Everyone's opinion is based on what they see on TV and what is being preached to them as "sexy". I am so over obese women flaunting their "curves" all over the media and the people who eat it up faster than you can say photoshop.

If you are curvy, great. If you are not, great. I guarantee you your body type is perfect just for you. Be healthy and fit to feel good and screw what other people say.

I agree about media (notably the Kartrashians) glorifying the big butt thing. But on the positive side, at least less women are starving themselves into anorexia trying to get the "thigh gap", which seemed to be the previous craze (which is also largely dictated by genetics).
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    genetics.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    I'm just waiting for Hollywood to start glorifying shapes like Jessica Biel, Rosario Dawson, Ming Na Wen and others more. Something about a bad *kitten* female "buffy" that gets me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I am banana shaped with boobs

Banana shaped? lol.
    92772.jpg

Do you walk around being the C in YMCA alot then?

I laughed waaay too hard at this.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,933 Member
    Options
    jean1624 wrote: »
    What kind of exercises do I need to do?

Step 1: Get new parents ...

• MaryLeuelu
    MaryLeuelu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a hour glass body 60....PLUS A FEW EXTRA MINTUES laughing-monkey.gif
  • nsa352
    nsa352 Posts: 40 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Do you even know what is an hourglass shape? Seriously! There is also a difference between having curves ( breast, butt, tiny waist, bigger hip) and having bulges. I am an hourglass shape and on my ideal weight , I am thin but have everything in good proportions. Or is 97-103 lbs for 5 feet tall heavy for you ? It's a question of skeleton not weight.
  • nsa352
    Options
    To OP, you can't really change the shape of your bones. Sorry!
    You can get closer to it though. What is an hourglass shape? Broad shoulders, v tapered waist, hips almost as wide as the shoulders ; some women with hourglass figure have a bubble butt and a rather generous chest (that looks bigger because of the tiny waist) .
  • nsa352
    Options

Cause you gotta be fat to have an hourglass shape, for sure you are right!
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    Sorry, you either have it or you don't. Although many overweight Apple shapes do discover eventually that they have a waist.

That was me. Was a ball basically with legs then after losing weight and exercising, I was hour glass.

• elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options

There's so much wrong with this statement, I don't know where to begin (after I stop laughing of course).
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Only answer at the moment is cosmetic surgery.

I don't advise it, much better to keep in a healthy weight range, and learn to accept how you are. Anyway, do you really want to look like Dolly Parton?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

Projection much? :|

• jean1624
    jean1624 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thank you guys for all the hilarious and very informative replies.. I appreciated it!
    Another question? How about wearing a corset or waist trainer? It seems effective to those women wearing it! Their waist is very small.... like Kim Kardashian..
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    thank you guys for all the hilarious and very informative replies.. I appreciated it!
    Another question? How about wearing a corset or waist trainer? It seems effective to those women wearing it! Their waist is very small.... like Kim Kardashian..

No. Those don't do anything, and from what I have heard some can actually cause you damage. Others on here know more about that though. Regardless, everyone has pretty much already answered that question by answering your first question about changing your body shape.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    nsa352 wrote: »
    To OP, you can't really change the shape of your bones. Sorry!
    You can get closer to it though. What is an hourglass shape? Broad shoulders, v tapered waist, hips almost as wide as the shoulders ; some women with hourglass figure have a bubble butt and a rather generous chest (that looks bigger because of the tiny waist) .
    Unfortunately you really can't. You can't widen your hips since your pelvic bone structure is set. You MAY broaden shoulders by increasing delt size and a wispy waistline is also due to how your oblique and serratus is structured.
    Having trained several body types and understanding physiology, people with hour glass (natural and not enhanced by corsets) figures are just genetically born with them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the majority of people are saying. If you aren't genetically blessed with it, you can use weight lifting and padding but the hourglass figure isn't really that normal a thing for people to look like. Yes, there are people who look like that, but most don't.

I wouldn't recommend corset training because that can mess up you internal organs. I read that in Victorian ages some women suffered from a "fallen uterus" where your bits would LITERALLY fall out because there were being squeezed so tight!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    If you don't think Kardashian is getting some lipo work done (along with her lips), then trust it's not the "waist trainer". Wearing tight fitting garments just "compact" the fat. It doesn't rid the body of it. If it really worked, people who wear clothes to small for them should eventually fit them................and we know that's not the case.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    It is genetic, if you don't have it, you won't get it through diet & exercise.