Advice please :)

Options
2»

Replies

• chelle575
    chelle575 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    thank you for all your advice
    - i dont like bagels, take brown rice, cut out bread and have pasta now & again ( once a week)
    - allergic to pineapples & hate grapes but eat strawberries, oranges, apples, grapefruit
    - i love to swim and will increase it
    - yes getting enough protein but will check my double check my fruit intake altho roughly 3/ 4 out of 5 a day
    - i eat clean and avoid junk food
    - no processed food and only drink water
    - i run but it doesnt seem to hurt my back ( its the bending in burpees, mountain climbers, star jumps, any form of bending at fast paced. not sure why but my back cant take the strain & my physio okay'd it)

thanks everyone, good to get opinions x
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    In my opinion a scale is a must even if to weigh everything once then u know that half your tub aware of rice weighs X
  • rdl81
    Options
    Try more veg less fruit could be easy change
  • chelle575
    Options
    i know fruit can have hidden sugars so it maybe too much of a good thing?
  • rdl81
    Options
    chelle575 wrote: »
    i know fruit can have hidden sugars so it maybe too much of a good thing?

I think could maybe be the problem lots of fruit equals lots of carbs and kcal. I do think u need to track food closer as it will save u time in the long run I put it off for years but now I do it makes life much easier

• lisarocks1320
    lisarocks1320 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am a pre diabetic ( on the cusp) and I have struggled with my weight all my life,. been on and off every diet out there. Here in Canada I am involved in an OHIP covered doctor run, weight loss and diabetes management clinic. I am on my first day today. Coming off of Weight Watchers mind set, this is going to be tricky. They have counselors if needed for emotional issues, and a dietitian to help if further assistance is required in food education. I am having my measurements taken, BP, I have blood work to be drawn, an ECG, and even a stress test, and a resting metabolic test that will be repeated every 6 months.

I have lost 21 pounds on my own over a year, slow I know but I truly had a lot of indulgences in that year.

The one thing I was told is to limit my fruit to one piece a day, or one serving. If I have a medium sized banana that is it for me for the day, focus is on protein , water and reduced amounts of whole grains of course lots of vegetables, low fat dairy lean meats, fish, beans etc. I will see how this goes, it can't hurt me that's for sure.

Since I am on my feet all day when I work I easily reach 10,000 steps a day and have for over 20 years. The other suggestion is to add weight training to my routine.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I have read more then enough bad info in this thread.
    Op - get a food scale. Learn how to use it. If you are not losing weight, its because you are not at a caloric deficit.

Forget about the myths mentioned in this thread. Carbs don't cause people not to lose weight or gain weight. Upping your water intake is a good idea if you feel you may be retaining but otherwise drinking extra water will not wash away the calories or whatever was stated here. Eating fruit or whatever is fine. Weight loss comes down to calories.
  • chelle575
    Options
    -ill cut down on fruit incase its that & up water intake
    -do more swimming
    -ive reduce my calories already but will look into a food scale
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Op - get a food scale. Learn how to use it. If you are not losing weight, its because you are not at a caloric deficit.

Forget about the myths mentioned in this thread. Carbs don't cause people not to lose weight or gain weight. Upping your water intake is a good idea if you feel you may be retaining but otherwise drinking extra water will not wash away the calories or whatever was stated here. Eating fruit or whatever is fine. Weight loss comes down to calories.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Don't suppose you have a link to one of the videos showing the difference in calories between weighing and measuring?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Don't suppose you have a link to one of the videos showing the difference in calories between weighing and measuring?

This one

https://youtu.be/vjKPIcI51lU
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

So much this.

OP, if you've been stalled for 6 weeks, then you are in maintenance and need to tighten up your logging. It matters zero if you're running or doing HIIT, or if you're drinking more water or eating clean or unprocessed or less fruit or whatever.

You are eating more than you think, period. Get a food scale.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Just to re emphasize.
    This is the information you need @chelle575.

Eye balling portions and flushing calories doesn't work.
    Weigh and measure your food and eat as much fruit, or anything else, as you wish as long as it fits in your calories.

Cheers, h.
  • chelle575
    Options
    thanks for all your help
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I use MFP , follow the lean in 15 body coach meals ( i havent signed up , i just have the book) could i be eating too much of the right thing? so like too much fruit??

Do you use a food scale? Do you pick the right foods from the database? Some of the foods are incorrect.

Nope, no food scale, should that account for the portions eg too much veg etc ? yes, the right foods on database, always careful to make sure thats right

There's the issue right there.