Carb v. Fat v. Protein %s

Options
Does anyone know how to calculate how many grams of cabs, fats and protein per day for weight loss?

Replies

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories, not macronutrients (macros). People differ in terms of those percentages and what works well to keep them satisfied. I have been gravitating lately to 50%-ish fat, 30%-ish carb, 20%-ish protein, but that varies greatly based on the day (I also do not consider myself low carb, at least not conscientiously, but other people might look at my macro percentages and disagree). I'm still satisfied; I still lose weight. What works well for you may be different. What matters for weight loss is that you eat at an overall calorie deficit.
  • skorsk
    skorsk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goal, how much you weigh and how fast you want to lose. Drop carbs which is very hard and weight loss happens quick. I'm more a calorie watcher and not a macro gal.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever macro % feels the best for you. Some go lower carb, moderate protein and high fat. I personally enjoy high carb, moderate protein and low fat. Some eat more of a moderate all-around approach at 40/30/30 for carb/protein/fat. I think 50/25/25 would be pretty moderate too.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    krisonkor wrote: »
    Depends on your goal, how much you weigh and how fast you want to lose. Drop carbs which is very hard and weight loss happens quick. I'm more a calorie watcher and not a macro gal.

When you drop carbs, the initial weight loss (in the first couple of weeks) is fast. But otherwise people who drop carbs lose at the same pace as everyone else.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I think 50/25/25 would be pretty moderate too.

25% would be low fat, I've seen that used as the low fat arm in clinical studies.

• VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Look at this:

8s4l1l6pach1.jpg

Set your calories first. Then pay attention to macros. The only macro you should set by gram is protein where it is often helpful to have a higher intake as opposed to lower. Once you set protein, how you weigh out carbs and fats depends on what works best for you. Low fat, low carb, equal distribution, all work. Try them out, stick with the one you like and find easiest to do as adherence is the most important factor in long term fat loss and body recomposition.