Tips to sticking on the diet

Options
Good day all,

I never thought A day like this will come where I just don't know how to stick on my diet anymore, my weakness is weekends I do my worse I can't seem to stop eating and on weekdays I end up buying junk with my colleagues on lunch hour it's bad.

I have gained a lot my tummy is bad now. I would like to hear how you manage to stay on track with all these temptations.

I am stuck! Thanks..

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,561 Member
    Options
    Basically just be consistent. That's the real difference. If you're not consistent during the weekend, then don't expect results on Monday.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Base your intake on real, nutritious foods you like. Don't cut out anything, just portion control. Prelog. Don't try to undereat - follow the calorie goal MFP gave you, every day.

Make and bring your own lunch. Make it as tasty, tempting and delicious you can. It has to compete with junk food that is made to look, taste and smell good and nothing else.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Sounds like whatever plan you're following is too restrictive.

I have found that pre-logging my food for the day helps immensely. That way, I know how many calories I have to play with if I decide I want a treat.

Try working in some of the foods that you've been denying yourself into your calories for the day. I had pizza for dinner last night, and a beer after the kids went to bed; but I planned for that yesterday morning when I pre-logged my meals for the day, so I was able to fit them in.

I don't have temptations because I don't feel like I'm denying myself anything. I still eat pizza. We have burger night on Saturday nights. I'll have a beer or some wine after the kids go to bed. My husband got me brownie bites from WalMart the other day; if I can fit them into my calories for the day, I'll have some. I don't live off the stuff, but I don't forbid myself from having anything, either.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Fikile2015 wrote: »
    Good day all,

I never thought A day like this will come where I just don't know how to stick on my diet anymore, my weakness is weekends I do my worse I can't seem to stop eating and on weekdays I end up buying junk with my colleagues on lunch hour it's bad.

I have gained a lot my tummy is bad now. I would like to hear how you manage to stay on track with all these temptations.

I am stuck! Thanks..

You might zig-zag your calories. Instead of the same calorie count every day, keep a couple weekdays lower than normal and add those calories to your weekend.

I eat at maintenance (TDEE) on weekends: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

PACK a lunch, pack snacks. Allow for 1 restaurant lunch a week. This is a tough habit to break, but you will need this if you are going to keep the weight off. Look forward to your 1 restaurant lunch, and pick something that fits within your goals. Look at menus on-line for healthier options. I can have restaurant pizza BUT, I always have a salad with it. That cuts down on the amount of pizza I eat.
  • RegainFiks
    RegainFiks Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thanks you for the advise my problem is I don't plan my day before so I am always above my calorie goal..I wil try to plan ahead.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Calling it a diet is where most people fail. It's not a diet. It's not a quick fix. It's a lifestyle change that you will have to stick with for a lifetime in order to succeed. Logging and portion control is your best solution.
  • shan_sel
    shan_sel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Definitely plan ahead like someone suggested. What's helped me a lot, is that I plan a cheat meal for every Sunday. Its a lot more rewarding if you know you've done well all week. Plus, it gives you something to look forward to and a reason to strive to do well all week.
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You can't stick to a diet, you can only stick to Nutrition. Diets are short term and meant to be so. The diet has to transition to lifestyle, probably the reason for the question itself.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Fikile2015 I had the same problem for 40 years. It was only when I was sinking in fat for what I knew was going to be my last time did I make the commitment to eat daily for life instead of premature death. It has been good for the past 18 months but the 40 years of damage is not all reversible.

I agree with @maidengirl_ and @JoshLibby .

It makes me happy to see young people not waiting 40 years when at death's door to find a way of eating for life that works for you. Best of success.
  • annleg83
    annleg83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So you sound like you work in an office - so I'll tell you what I've found that works for me. On the weekends, I shop and prep meals ahead (breakfast, lunch and a snack) for the week. That helps me - and for the weekend, I tend to ease up on Saturday because the buying and prepping starts again.

Another thing - I don't buy any junk food that I know I can't resist. My family is good with that - they have other alternatives that aren't as tempting for me - so if you can avoid it - don't buy it.

Take a couple hours with the MFP recipes to figure out serving sizes and calories for the food you're planning on having for the week, that might help stay on track as well.

You can do it!!
  • marty_smith
    marty_smith Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The only way is to plan your meals the night before. Weigh out cereal or oats with yoghurt, take an apple and a banana to work to tide you over til lunch, have a sandwich at lunch time and then eat dinner early as soon as you're home as you will be hungry. After a week or two your body will be used to smaller portions and the times you have your meals that it will be easier to do.
  • RegainFiks
    Options
    Thank you all for the advise, I will start today to plan my meals.
  • wedgeinthedoor
    wedgeinthedoor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It always helps me to stop and ask myself what if ?. Granted it is difficult to do when I'm wanting to grab random unhealthy food, but when you stop and think, what impact will this have on my calories ? how will I feel if I go over my calories etc. It makes the process of sticking to your calories much easier, for me personally anyway.

Hope it helps.
  • RegainFiks
    Options
    I am tired of feeling guilty about my actions on something that I can control and manage that eating Healthly. I am certain that after a week results will show.