Headaches with exercise

Options
Hi - I notice that when I exercise a little on the more strenuous side, I get a terrible headache. For example, my husband and I did a 7-mile 30-minute bike ride yesterday evening and my head hurt so badly that I had to wake up in the middle of the night to take Tylenol. I do plenty of hydrating and I sweat quite a bit, so I feel like my body should be efficient. Is there any other reason I may be getting a headache from strenuous exercise?

Thanks for any insight...

Replies

• hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If the bike ride you described gave me a headache and it wasn't a dehydration issue, it would likely be due to one of the following: bright sunlight or heat (migraine triggers), or clenching up my jaw or neck (due to a bumpy road or not paying attention to staying loose). Don't know if any of those might apply to your situation.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your muscles might be tight and pulling on your neck, giving you a headache. Try putting bio-freeze, or Pan- away on your neck before your go to bed, it might help loosen up your muscles.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    lack of eating can give me headaches when i do strenuous exercise. and not breathing properly also
  • crjohnston12
    crjohnston12 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The head-ache is kind of a throbbing one (you know, where your head is like pulsating) not so much of a tension or muscular headache. There was no sunlight when we rode yesterday. I may be clenching and very likely that I'm not breathing correctly. How do you learn the right way to breathe?
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It could also be electrolytes, especially since you say you are sweating quite a bit. When I find myself it that situation I drink a small glass of seltzer water with potassium salt and regular salt and a splash of lime. I also take magnesium.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I had severe exercise headaches that had to be treated with indomethacin. I pretty much never get them anymore since I lost all the weight and have gotten into much better cardiovascular shape.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Electrolytes, dehydration, muscle tension, or poor blood circulation. Ensuring you aren't tense during the ride and that you get enough water. If they continue I would consider talking to your doctor.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Try giving up caffeine. I found this was it with me. Went from lots of diet coke a day to only one a day.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I once got a momentary migraine after barbell squatting. I think it was because my form was off--my neck was not in neutral position. Perhaps your cycling posture (shoulder/neck tension) can be the culprit.
  • willworkoutforwine
    willworkoutforwine Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I suffered from chronic tension headaches for quite awhile and back then ANY exercise would make them worse. I finally got them under control, as far as no longer getting them chronically but I do still get headaches after a pretty vigorous workout and I suspect it could be my form. Anyway, if I feel one coming on or had a good workout, I will use aromatherapy heat wraps when I go to bed. I have the kind that heat in the microwave and I put one around my neck and one over my eyes/forehead. So relaxing and helps the headache. I got into a bad habit of taking too much Tylenol that caused rebound headaches so I take it very sparingly now.

Headaches are also a good excuse for regular massages!
  • crjohnston12
    Options
    hazleyes81 wrote: »
    It could also be electrolytes, especially since you say you are sweating quite a bit. When I find myself it that situation I drink a small glass of seltzer water with potassium salt and regular salt and a splash of lime. I also take magnesium.

I moved last year from Minnesota to Florida - and I think the heat and sweating has a lot to do with it. I often notice when my electrolytes are off, I get a fluttery heart. I think I will go to Costco and pick up some coconut water to use before and after I ride (in addition to water). I hadn't thought of this - thanks!
  • crjohnston12
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate your comments and that you took the time to respond!
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

This is what I was thinking.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    My husband used to get exercise/exertion caused migraines. If they continue and the electrolytes don't help, you might want to see a medical professional.
  • Curtism1234
    Curtism1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think posture could be the culprit. You could possibly have an inner ear type of problem (ie. vestibular migraine). If it keeps up and you feel you have addressed the muscular issue, you might consider seeing a good ENT doctor.
  • crjohnston12
    Options
    I think posture could be the culprit. You could possibly have an inner ear type of problem (ie. vestibular migraine). If it keeps up and you feel you have addressed the muscular issue, you might consider seeing a good ENT doctor.

Wow - that is very interesting. I recently moved from Minnesota to Florida and have discovered all kinds of sinus issues due to allergies (which I had never had in my life before moving here). My sinuses are always "swollen" and my ears often don't feel well. I didn't think it could cause a headache, though. Thanks for thinking outside the box!
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    Options

I second the potassium / magnesium suggestions. I get dehydrated really easily. My solution is to hydrate in advance of activity. I like coconut juice because it has a ton of potassium. My body responds very well to the coconut juice. Keep drinking water, too.