My 600 lb. Life

Options

Replies

• headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Haven't watched. Probably won't. When I see a picture above of a morbidly obese woman in what appears to be a hospital bed and gown eating fried foods (which is probably just a "snack") I get disgusted for a lot of reasons. These people, for the most part, choose to be this way. Please don't come at me with all the medical condition crap...i get it some people do have genuine conditions that need attention but most don't. Here in America we aren't allowed to fat shame or skinny shame but we are allowed to demonize marijuana users. What's a bigger strain on our economy and healthcare system? Rampant obesity or pot heads? Pisses me off. If you're morbidly obese and on a mission to eat yourself to death then good luck with that, but I'm not going to watch a ridiculous reality show about it and sit around and feel sorry for you. Get over yourselves. Please move over when I'm in the emergency room because I'm genuinely sick and you're there because you can't stop eating cake and pizza.

Great! Now I want cake and pizza.

I'm really a nice guy. I think.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    kensreboot wrote: »
    I've never seen the show... but I used to live my own 600 lb life (as high as ~680#), but that was long ago and I am certainly not going back to that! :)

Well Done Congrats!!!
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    I watch it because I find it fascinating...so many people changing their lives... and then there is Penny....my god, I hate her :disappointed: manipulative woman that never wanted to change.

e6gypwmqac5x.jpg

Penny is the absolute effing worst!!! I have seen every single episode of this show and she's horrible and delusional and I can't stand her. Is it awful that I find myself hoping that maybe she'll be the first one to succumb to her addicition, if ya know what I'm sayin'?

Ouch, thats really harsh. I love to watch this show because it encourages me to get up and move, stay focused, count my calories. I've been doing good so far and watching this show just shows me to keep pushing and trying because I don't ever want to get to that point and that it is possible to become like these people if we don't take hold of ourselves sooner than later. My favorite episodes are the ones that have the individuals that try their hardest and do everything that is required of them. I love to see their transformations and I woul love to see updates on them.
  • sarjgus
    sarjgus Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do watch the show faithfully lol. The show that really bothered me was Pauline. She was the one who made her son do everything for her. He had no life of his own. How very selfish of her. Even after surgery all she wanted to do was eat and complain.
    The one last night (3/16/16) really got to me. He got up to 1,001 lbs at the age of 26. So heartbreaking. His mother, who was extremely overweight, was slowing killing him with food.
    I told my kids if I ever got bed ridden, they better not bring me junk to eat. No matter how much a beg or throw a fit!!!
  • TheSunshineQueen
    TheSunshineQueen Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    headofphat wrote: »
    Haven't watched. Probably won't. When I see a picture above of a morbidly obese woman in what appears to be a hospital bed and gown eating fried foods (which is probably just a "snack") I get disgusted for a lot of reasons. These people, for the most part, choose to be this way. Please don't come at me with all the medical condition crap...i get it some people do have genuine conditions that need attention but most don't. Here in America we aren't allowed to fat shame or skinny shame but we are allowed to demonize marijuana users. What's a bigger strain on our economy and healthcare system? Rampant obesity or pot heads? Pisses me off. If you're morbidly obese and on a mission to eat yourself to death then good luck with that, but I'm not going to watch a ridiculous reality show about it and sit around and feel sorry for you. Get over yourselves. Please move over when I'm in the emergency room because I'm genuinely sick and you're there because you can't stop eating cake and pizza.

...Okay then.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    These shows tug at my heart because some of the stories are heartbreaking. Especially the ones with the kids caring for the person.

Some family members don't want the person to lose weight. That's tough to watch. In many cases I wonder if it's because they are overweight and like having someone bigger around. They may not realize they think that.

I feel sorry for Penny. She just can't get her mind right. Never want to feel that hopeless. There is vicious hate for her all over the internet.

My favorite was Susie. She was kind of grouchy. She lost her weight slowly. Dr Now complained but eventually accepted her slow but consistent progress. She went from gasping for air from walking 10 steps to coaching a softball team.

You rarely see any of these people or their families eating anything other than fast food and frozen high calorie foods. The portions are crazy. Rarely is a vegetable shown. Could be eating them off camera but who knows. (To anyone on MFP who eats those foods, I am not saying they are bad. I am stating what I see on this show.)

I watch lots of shows featuring people losing hundreds of pounds. I think I watch as a warning to myself. I am afraid I will eat to 600 lbs. While I couldn't eat the amount of food I see these people eat right now, they couldn't always eat that much too. Their weight issue started just like mine, 1 pound at a time.
  • briegirl28
    briegirl28 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I think it is really easy to pass judgment on this people. I do feel sorry for them as I am morbidly obese and I know that when I feel depressed and despondant, I often turn to food for comfort. I think that one has to learn better coping mechanisms, which isn't as easy as some suggest. I think that if a person is unhappy and they continue to do something that makes them continue to feel unhappy, there is obviously some deeper issues going on. I also would like to suggest that if a person says their major happiness is food, then that is also a sign of depression and lack of hope.

I love reading your responses and I would only ask that we not use this thread to bash those on the show. I think that for many of us, given the unique set of circumstances (maybe grief, major illness, disability, change in relationship, etc. that can cause a severe period of depression and lack of faith/hope/positivity) we could become heavier than we think we could ever be. Maybe not 600 lbs. but maybe 300lbs., 400lbs., etc.

I realize that there are people on here that just need to lose those last 10 pounds and they feel full of self control and self will. But there are also probably a good amount of morbidly obese people and those who may be near 600lbs. or even more, and reading the level of disdain and judgment and disgust from some might make them feel unwelcomed here. I love the support of those on MFP, so I'd like to highlight how we care for and support each other rather than the opposite.

I'm going to watch Sean's episode this week is over the weekend. :) Sending you all great wishes for a beautiful day.
  • Latitude11Courtney
    Latitude11Courtney Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Ya know. You are so very far off with your 'pothead' comparison.
  • Latitude11Courtney
    Latitude11Courtney Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't watch the show at all... Zero interest.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

People who get up to these weights are very rarely the "I'm going to just get as fat as I want, and eff everyone else" variety. The vast majority have deep seated mental issues which generally occurred due to severe childhood trauma, and a broken family/enabling system literally feeding into their disorder.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    imogene912 wrote: »
    I am watching it now - Sean's story. Wow.

Sean's mom is one of the people who blew my mind the most. That woman is helping her child die.
  • strelitzia4
    strelitzia4 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Sean's mom is one of the people who blew my mind the most. That woman is helping her child die.

Agreed. Normally I like watching the show, but Sean's episode was just really sad.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about the show. On the one hand, I find the psychology fascinating. I also find it incredibly sad that all of the people on the show have suffered some type of unbearable abuse, neglect or trauma in their lives that was the major reason for them overeating to that extent. It's easy for us armchair critics to sit back and wonder how anyone could let themselves go like that, without truly understanding the horrors these people have endured.

The show does make me somewhat uncomfortable. I think the producers do a relatively good job of telling the story without sensationalizing, but these people's pain and shame are hard to witness.
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My partner finds these kinds of shows to be modern day circus freakshows - the people being featured need help, but to get help they need money, so they show their various grotesqueries to the world. Most of the time, I'm more in the "some people just want to be on TV" camp, but I think he has a point the shows that deal with people with really overwhelming mental and physical issues (interventions, hoarding, extraordinary obesity). There is literally no way for that group of people to get the help they need without turning a national spotlight on their own weaknesses.
  • deaddolly
    deaddolly Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I watch it on occasion. It makes me sad, so I don't watch often. These comments about people wanting to be obese are just as disgusting. Food is social. You can stop smoking; you can get off of drugs -- you can't stop eating. Junk food is cheap and within easy reach. Drive thru's are everywhere and convenient. People in the States go to restaurants and want their money's worth. It's a cultural thing. Some have mental issues and use food as a substitute for something, others have other health problems. I can honestly say, I've met as many lazy fat people as I have lazy skinny people. To lump everyone into one category is insane. Yes, there needs to be more education on nutrition. Our educational system needs many things -- look at the lunch programs they have! Demand for fast food and large portions wouldn't exist without people wanting it. Food can be comfort.
    Food came be home. It can be your friend or your enemy. Don't bash people for what they eat; look beyond that.
  • arose1122
    arose1122 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Oh my goodness yes. When Dr. Now asked her how many calories he consumed in a day she said "last time I tracked it we were doing about 2500 a day". No... no mom. That's more like his breakfast. The pizza meal he ate on the show was a least 2300.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    arose1122 wrote: »

Oh my goodness yes. When Dr. Now asked her how many calories he consumed in a day she said "last time I tracked it we were doing about 2500 a day". No... no mom. That's more like his breakfast. The pizza meal he ate on the show was a least 2300.

Way more than that, even. He ate his whole entire pizza with however much soda, that's 2300 on it's own, probably more in the realm of 3000 though. After that, he ate 3/4ths of his mom's pizza. I think that one was around a 5000cal hit to the ol' food diary.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Did anyone watch today's episode on Lupe? Wow.
  • amb3rj0y
    amb3rj0y Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Did anyone watch today's episode on Lupe? Wow.

Yea, her husband is an *kitten*. I hope that if she drops the weight, she drops him too :neutral:
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Seeing what it took to get Lupe to Houston broke my heart. Completely inhumane. I am not being critical of her family because I do not know what they could have done to make it better. Maybe an ambulance? I really thought she was going to die before they got there.

The choices people make are interesting. They are going through something awful and her husband decides it is a good time to bring another woman into the situation. Lupe can't really give him the boot because she needs him to take care of her. Nightmare!

Are these people on welfare? It's rare that we see someone going to work. If I were in the bed, there's no one to feed me. They are all at work or school. That's the part I don't understand. Lupe's husband seemed capable of holding a job.