5k run advice!

Options
jpaw1002
jpaw1002 Posts: 322 Member
So, my mother and some of her co-workers have talked me into signing up for this 5k run in August. I wouldn't be too horribly concerned if it wasn't me having to run it all on the beach....yeah. Back in the days of cheerleading for camp we had to run on the beach a lot and it was horrible! I am still recovering from a bad ankle that I've been struggling for awhile but it is getting better. I've been training lately to run anyways, but any advice for this? How can you prepare?

Thanx in advance,
Jess

Replies

• kx2270
    kx2270 Posts: 6
    Options
    I'd try to do a run a week on the beach. If that's where the race will be why not train there?
  • RunMickey7
    RunMickey7 Posts: 12
    Options
    Make sure you strength train (especially your ankles) and check out a Hal Higdon training plan online. Splurge on good shoes. Get fitted for them from someone who knows what they are doing. Take it slow and don't go too fast, or you could get injured. If you aren't used to running, the walk/run approach is a good way to begin. One day, you will enjoy running! :) You can do it!
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    Personally, I train in the worst conditions. For example: I run during the hottest part of the day, when its in the high 90's and the sun is beating down on me. I also try, at least once a week, to run further than a 5k. That way, when the morning of the race comes, it will be a breeze.
  • jpaw1002
    Options
    I thought about going out there once a week or every other week. But yeah im not able to run full out the gate the entire way yet, and i think it'll be a while before i am able to do that. But me n my mom have been doing strength training as well. Me n her go about 3xs a week for a run and sometimes its hotter than others depending on when we do go, but we live in FL so its like humid hot lately and just terrible. But thanx ya'll!!! :)
  • jagfan
    jagfan Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    All of this is very good advice! Like I said, it is good to know "I have a run coming up on August 20th, so I have GOT to train!". That way you don't just stop because you don't feel like going.

Remember, me and your cuz and Jamine ran the 5 mile in February, and I was injured, as well. Didn't make for a great run, but I did it and wasn't last!

We will definetly get out to the beach to run...I think the sea breeze will be great!
  • Harrar10
    Harrar10 Posts: 116
    Options
    I was actually going to do the 5k Heart & Sole run, BUT I decided I wasn't ready to do it yet becasue for one I was running it by myself and don't want to be the last person in the run finishing while everyone's packing up lol! I am planning on doing a 5k eventually when I can run for atleast 20 minutes straight; not sure when though. The advice I would give you is just don't stop running. As obviously stupid as that advice sounds it is a lot harder to start running again once you have stopped and taken a break if you have to jog but just don't stop moving your legs. Another thing you can do is look up C25K, its a 9 week program that slowly introduces you into running 30 minutes straight (or a 5k) Couch to 5k is what it is called. The more you run the better you will get at it; I used to hate running especially when I was in the Army we RAN all the time because I was attached to an Airborne unit, it sucked but it was the best exercise AFTERWORDS lol.

Good Luck!!

What 5k are y'all doing?
  • jpaw1002
    Options
    I hear you on being the last one! lol i dont want to be either!!!! Were doing some kind of training thing my mom has...but the run is called Tijuana Flats summer beach run. if u go to first place sports website its on there.
  • jagfan
    jagfan Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Amber - the beach run in August is a 5 miler...I would like to do the Vestkor Bridge run in July, which is a 5k...Right now, she is pretty much running/walking as she feels works for her. I have a half marathon training app that I am starting in a few weeks, but I want to see if there is an app for the 5k for Jess...I've heard there are some good ones.

We will be running on Sunday morning. Another girl that works with me will be going, also. I may run a little more than Jessie and Jasmine, but I have been training a little longer! We meet down under the Fuller Warren bridge on Riverside Ave. We do the bridges, about a 4.5 to 5.5 mile route depending on which way we go and how we feel.

You are welcome to join us! Everyone is at their own pace - no pressure! And believe me, like I told Jessie, no matter how you feel about how you run, you are NEVER last!
  • Harrar10
    Harrar10 Posts: 116
    Options
    Amber - the beach run in August is a 5 miler...I would like to do the Vestkor Bridge run in July, which is a 5k...Right now, she is pretty much running/walking as she feels works for her. I have a half marathon training app that I am starting in a few weeks, but I want to see if there is an app for the 5k for Jess...I've heard there are some good ones.

We will be running on Sunday morning. Another girl that works with me will be going, also. I may run a little more than Jessie and Jasmine, but I have been training a little longer! We meet down under the Fuller Warren bridge on Riverside Ave. We do the bridges, about a 4.5 to 5.5 mile route depending on which way we go and how we feel.

You are welcome to join us! Everyone is at their own pace - no pressure! And believe me, like I told Jessie, no matter how you feel about how you run, you are NEVER last!

I use the c25k app its free, i have an android phone you just search for c25k it counts down each minute and it goes through the entire 9 weeks of the program. its couch to 5k so it starts off pretty simple.
    I'd love to join y'all! I'll have to talk to my husband and see if he is doing anything so he can watch the baby and ill let one of y'all know! Thanks for the invite