Evening munchies

Options
Hi everyone, myself and my lovely missus are trying to shift our extra timber, but we both fine that we can be disciplined and focused during the day, but evenings take a will of iron to resist temptation. Cravings are baaaaaaad!! I respect hugely, the people on here who have struggled all their lives with weight gain, then suddenly, they have the light bulb moment, shed massive amounts of weight. We need the 'light bulb moment' thank you in advance Debi & Carla

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Plan a late night snack into your daily amount.

Throughout my weight loss phases I ate cake, chocolate, peanut butter and drank beer and wine late at night (not all on the same day you understand!) But, I did so in a controlled manner - I pre-logged most of my food and included a late night snack in that.

If I over ate in the day the late night snack had to go. This, I found, was a good way to help me avoid the office biscuits & chocolates that often get passed around - I'll always opt for a small slice of cake with Mrs StealthHealth rather than an afternoon pastry in the office.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    Another point: The times that I've really struggled to hold back in the evening have usually been when I've under-eaten in the day - Are you allowing yourself enough calories? IMHO only those with a significant amount to lose (those in the obese category) should be looking to lose 2lb per week. People outside this range usually find the loss more enjoyable, and more sustainable when at a gentler cut of 1lb per week.

Best wishes
  • Debidonut1971
    Debidonut1971 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you my lovely. I have to confess that were both trying to keep to 1200 Cals as both are struggling with weight related issues, my knees and Carla's back!! We're not hugely overweight, each need to lose 3 stone, and figured if we saw a nice drop at the begining, it will help to keep us motivated. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Your a star
  • StealthHealth
    edited March 2016
    Options
    No problem, but 1200 is tough. You may benefit form a slow but steady loss with more cals.

Edited to add: Looking at the profile pic there is no way you've got 3 stone each to lose - three stone between you? Maybe. ;)
  • Debidonut1971
    Options
    Seriously I am the one on the right (looking at the pic) I have put on 20kgs in a year!!! (Diagnosed with thyroid cancer) For the first ten mins of getting out of bed, I walk like an old lady!! My partner Carla, ( on my left) is 17 years younger
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    Sorry to hear about that. But, you're in the right place to lose that weight. Onwards and updownwards.
  • Debidonut1971
    Options
    Ha ha absolutely!! Btw..... Love your profile pic!!
  • Gray137
    Gray137 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The evenings are my worst time too. That's where I lose all focus and turn into an eating machine.
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yep, echoing what others have said. I pre-log my food and I always factor in a snack at night. It's almost always chocolate. No ragrets.
  • DanaKinney
    DanaKinney Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Can you exercise? It will give you extra calories. Great for using in the evening. My feeling is don't fight your natural eating pattern - work with it.
  • Debidonut1971
    Options
    I certainly can. I regularly exercise, so my body is used to it, but as they say...."you can't out train a poor diet"
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Air popped pop corn. I know it is not the same as having it drowning in butter and salt, but I have grown to like it with grated parmesan on it. Not a lot of calories, and it takes a while to eat it.
    Often times, I will just go to bed too. I fall asleep very quickly so it works for me and keeps me from excess calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options
    I had to start going to bed earlier. I'm in bed by 9, up at 5. If I have my last meal at 4-5PM it keeps me until bedtime. I don't eat a lot of carbs, either. I stay under 150g a day. The protein and fat help me stay satisfied.

I also quit drinking alcohol, which was a lot of unneeded calories and which also led to over-eating.
  • Debidonut1971
    Options
    Uuummmm like the sound of the air popped corn!! I think I will also be doing the early night thing regularly!!! Thank you so much you lovely people!!
  • DeeDeeC541
    DeeDeeC541 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I bought some frozen fruit bars at COSTCO and I have them for dessert when I Am craving sweets.. or a 100 Calorie WW frozen choc. or yogurt bar.
  • philskee
    philskee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    moderation moderation moderation, overindulging is the problem. dont pull away from your bad snacks cause you will crave them to much. having it once or twice a week will not kill you. its all about the amount you are taking in. paying attention to labels is the key factor. you get more goldfish per serving with less calories over eating cheezits. its little things like that, which end up adding to a lot at the end of the day. popcorn is the best snack though, filling with barely any calories.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I structure my eating so that I've usually got 1000 kcal or more for eating in the evening after dinner. Then I get to chow down when and on what I like. Since I can control my appetite fairly well during the day, this works out well.