Help I've lost my Motivation last seen on this website about 21 months ago!!!

Options
Hey People of all shapes and sizes my name is Shaun

I'm not new to this website but i haven't been on it for over 2 years so i'm reintroducing myself :)

So here is my story........

I broke up with my ex over 3 years ago when we first broke up i did the typical thing, got back to gym became a new a man after been in a rut with her i lost 3 stone i felt great looked decent. Been honest through it was easy to get it back because i was once in great shape the best i have ever been is back in 2008 i was light i was strong i was ripped but i was also 21 with less responsibility and now its 2016 i have more responsibilities.

But now 3 years on that 3 stone is back on and probably more the major problem i have is i simply don't really care and i know i should care i know i feel better for it and of course its healthier.

These are my Reasons....

1.) I'm single and i like been single i don't want a misses i'm way to conformable i like to be able to watch the game nice take away and few beers and junk food. Most of the time in past i have wanted to look good go out with the lads pull woman but i am now 28 i don't do that anymore i'm a dad and have a different life at weekends.

2.) I work full time i get in from work on the night and i just want to relax chill out i completely lose my motivation. I know people will say go to gym before work but again getting out of bed earlier is a major issue plus i don't always like going to work after gym even through i shower etc i always feels like i'm still sweaty from gym and i don't like been sat in a suit all day like that around other work colleagues.

3.) I have a daughter i spend each weekend ( don't work weekends ) with her and i do have days out with her and do the typical daddy daughter stuff so training at weekend can be a issue. If i have a Saturday night to myself i will see my friends or family so wont be off to gym on that Saturday night i train sometimes on a Sunday as i have a bit more time as i'm not at work but again i sometimes i have commitments.

ITS FRUSTRATING I NEED A KICK UP THE ARS*!!!

I have started eating better and cutting out the naughty silly late night snacks i know how to diet i know how i train that really isn't the issue in reality i have trained since the age of 16 i'm 29 on the 22nd March i know my body i know what is good for me the true problem is my motivation.

I need help has anyone been in this rut before? What is best way to get out of it?

I don't want a wake up call by having a heart attack because sometimes i feel it is going that way, And yes that should scare the hell out of me and get my head back in the game but that don't even motivate me which is appalling and quite selfish when i have my daughter to think about too.

I know i can do it i know i will do it but i have been saying that for probably a year i have just lost motivation with my diet with my potential training schedule withing a year i would look like a new that i would look better then that lad back in 2008 i have the muscle memory but i just don't have that dedication and motivation i need.

Sorry about the long post i hope some people can relate and maybe even help me because they have been in that situation.

Thank you for reading

Shaun Hall

Replies

• snariman502
    snariman502 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think we dont want it that bad, thats why we find excuses. If we wish for it and dream about a fit body, guess then things go right way.. Btw i have the same problem with eating right food. Good luck...
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Hmmm--let's see if I got this straight. You want to lose weight, BUT:

You love to lay around and munch and drink beer.

You get home from work and like to get takeout, and munch and lay around.

You don't like to get up early to workout, and don't want to be sweaty all the rest of the day.

You can't workout after work, because you're too tired.

You can't workout weekends because you have your daughter.

Did I get that all right? Whatever could anyone say to get you up and moving? YOU have to want it. At the rate you're going sooner or later you're going to have to, for your health. By then you'll have alot of other health problems that won't go away. If you're smart, you'll get going now, while things aren't too bad. Will you have to change your lifestyle? Yes, but the future rewards will be worth it. Only you can do this. Get up off your couch, turn off the TV and go do something for yourself. You're welcome.
  • shaunyhall87
    shaunyhall87 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hmmm--let's see if I got this straight. You want to lose weight, BUT:

You love to lay around and munch and drink beer.

You get home from work and like to get takeout, and munch and lay around.

You don't like to get up early to workout, and don't want to be sweaty all the rest of the day.

You can't workout after work, because you're too tired.

You can't workout weekends because you have your daughter.

Did I get that all right? Whatever could anyone say to get you up and moving? YOU have to want it. At the rate you're going sooner or later you're going to have to, for your health. By then you'll have alot of other health problems that won't go away. If you're smart, you'll get going now, while things aren't too bad. Will you have to change your lifestyle? Yes, but the future rewards will be worth it. Only you can do this. Get up off your couch, turn off the TV and go do something for yourself. You're welcome.

Your right, and i know all this too but i just cant get motivated its really usual for me to be like this, the bit i didn't add on original post was i have had countless injuries to some quite serious it's been massively annoying because its when i'm getting into my momentum it stops me and all that hard work goes to waste and i end up heavier the flab comes back and its just start stop start stop so maybe its a mental things maybe its like why bloody bother look at my profile pic for instance that is my at my best how can that person on that picture turn into this none motivated person
  • stang02
    stang02 Posts: 75 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I LOVE to do all those things too. But I found I HAVE to put myself first. Start with baby steps.

Let's start with this one. "You can't workout weekends because you have your daughter."
    - Who says working out ONLY has to be in a GYM? I don't belong to ANY gym. I don't know how old she is, but you two can go hiking/walking together? If she is tiny, buy a backpack child carrier and walk around some trails for a few hours. Get a jogging stroller to go walking or running. If she's old enough to walk herself, I've seen toddlers kick it on trails some adults can't even handle. I go to the trails and local track and I see people with their kids all the time. Do you have 20 minutes? That's all it takes (on average) to WALK one mile without even sweating. Put one foot in front of the other. Soon that one mile will turn to 3 to 5 to 10 etc...

And I will add, I am a single mother and my daughter does ALL my activities with me. How I see it, I feel great that I got her to go out and exercise because she is having fun. I want to establish good habits for her early on.

• sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @snowflake954 ...lol. I read it the same way.

Actually Shaun I think you have it backwards. those all sound like perfect reasons to Want to be fit.

You don't have a woman to bother you and say "why are you going to the gym instead of spending time with me" lol
    You have a job during the day so your nights are free
    You have a daughter who you want to be healthy and live a long life for.

Sounds like you have all the right reasons there in front of you
  • shaunyhall87
    Options
    stang02 wrote: »
    I LOVE to do all those things too. But I found I HAVE to put myself first. Start with baby steps.

Let's start with this one. "You can't workout weekends because you have your daughter."
    - Who says working out ONLY has to be in a GYM? I don't belong to ANY gym. I don't know how old she is, but you two can go hiking/walking together? If she is tiny, buy a backpack child carrier and walk around some trails for a few hours. Get a jogging stroller to go walking or running. If she's old enough to walk herself, I've seen toddlers kick it on trails some adults can't even handle. I go to the trails and local track and I see people with their kids all the time. Do you have 20 minutes? That's all it takes (on average) to WALK one mile without even sweating. Put one foot in front of the other. Soon that one mile will turn to 3 to 5 to 10 etc...

And I will add, I am a single mother and my daughter does ALL my activities with me. How I see it, I feel great that I got her to go out and exercise because she is having fun. I want to establish good habits for her early on.

That's really helpfull thank you :)

My little girl is 5 she certainly keeps me on my toes we are quite active because when we go to soft play areas etc i'm in there with her running climbing it's fun! now the weather is getting better ( Hull UK ) We will be out a lot more too i actually love walking i walk about 7 miles each Monday night i have also started running ( that is work in progress ) due to a knee injury but deep down my best results come from the gym, I play football Thursday night too but again that is at a Holt due to my knee injury but i be back without a doubt because i love playing.
  • shaunyhall87
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »
    @snowflake954 ...lol. I read it the same way.

Actually Shaun I think you have it backwards. those all sound like perfect reasons to Want to be fit.

You don't have a woman to bother you and say "why are you going to the gym instead of spending time with me" lol
    You have a job during the day so your nights are free
    You have a daughter who you want to be healthy and live a long life for.

Sounds like you have all the right reasons there in front of you

agreed, just like to my reply to snowflake954 its frustrating as them things without a doubt need to be motivating me but for some reason i just havent got that spark
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Shaun--I'm 61 and know a little about exercising with pain and health problems. I've been on MFP for 3 yrs and I'm alot better than I was 5 yrs ago,when I thought I'd wind up in a wheel chair in a couple of years. I only had 25 lbs to lose. I lost some weight, but more than that, I got an attitude change. You say you've got knee problems--that's an obstacle but not the end of the world. Your thread should have read "Bad knee, how can I exercise"?----you would have gotten tons of advice from people with knee problems. There are lots of things you can do. I swim, for instance. You may get your "spark", but I wouldn't wait around for it crying in my beer. If all you can do is walk, do that. By the way, weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise, so buy yourself a digital scale and get on with it.