Options
robman51
robman51 Posts: 39 Member
I've tried glutamine, but do any of you recommend something else? Thanks

Replies

• annleg83
    annleg83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Are you talking a lingering soreness or just the normal day after you kicked butt at the gym? Personally - if I feel that I really went over the top and I can barely type or hold a pen (fun times) I use ice packs on the area or (when I trashed my legs) I did the ice bath thing (not for the faint of heart but then I'm a native of the north).
  • dcoitino77
    dcoitino77 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Glutamine and your BCAAS as well as liquid L-Carnitine
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've told about but have not yet tried foam rollers (in the mail, though...and I need them now!). Make sure you have a recovery drink with 5:1 carb/protein ratio. Do warm-ups and cool-downs before sessions.
  • donnarooney663
    donnarooney663 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I know how u feel im in agony today after a session and that was with a warm up and cool.down. recovery drinks are ment to be good ive no tried them ive been using heat.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Also, some meds can cause exaggerated muscle soreness, like cholesterol meds. Co-Q 10 can help that particular drug's muscle pain.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Tart cherry juice is supposed to help. Unfortunately I have too many with cherry allergies in my house to try it. I can't risk them grabbing it by mistake.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Foam roller!!!!!
  • RebeccaLansdown
    RebeccaLansdown Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I always use a foam roller after a leg workout. I've noticed a night and day difference between now and before when I didn't have one.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Just wait? DOMS will go away in a few days, or a week at most.
  • TechOutside
    TechOutside Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Pain is temporary, glory is forever!

Just kidding, I use CLA and BCAA in the morning, Glutamine and ZMA at night.

And occasionally an advil for age deficiencies.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Just wait? DOMS will go away in a few days, or a week at most.

+1
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Suck it up - it's part of the process of getting stronger.
  • robman51
    Options
    Suck it up - it's part of the process of getting stronger.

Lmao! Thanks!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    hahaha - glad you took it the way I intended. I'm sure there is lots of research on what we can do to alleviate DOMS but I've never really looked into it. I kind of have a love/hate thing going with it. Hate the pain but love the feeling that I worked those muscles hard. worst feeling is going to the gym with DOMS from the last visit.
  • robman51
    Options
    Thanks man. Been pounding a lot of water and Advil. Also Amino energy seems to help too. Lots of stretching too
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Advil (NSAIDS in general) can be counterproductive. You WANT the inflammatory response because that is stimulating the repair process that going to get you to your goal. Stretching and moving help a lot, or you can try sweet talking someone into a massage. ;)
  • TechOutside
    TechOutside Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I also work hard to get the proper amount of rest and protein at night before bed. I try to get 6-8 hours of good deep sleep which the ZMA helps with the deep part so the body has the best chance of repair. IMO.

Because I am an older guy, I sometimes take Aleve (Same NSAIDS) to keep moving the next morning.. because getting old blows. None of us are getting out alive and certainly not without some kind of pain. Embrace it and make it yours!
  • robman51
    Options
    I also work hard to get the proper amount of rest and protein at night before bed. I try to get 6-8 hours of good deep sleep which the ZMA helps with the deep part so the body has the best chance of repair. IMO.

Because I am an older guy, I sometimes take Aleve (Same NSAIDS) to keep moving the next morning.. because getting old blows. None of us are getting out alive and certainly not without some kind of pain. Embrace it and make it yours!
    Thanks for the good advice, man!
  • Wendy77685
    Wendy77685 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like magnesium, both as a supplement and in epsom salt baths. What you eat after you workout can play a big role, as well as supplements. https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/how-to-combat-soreness/

I like magnesium also, and when I take it at night it really helps me sleep so much better too so thats an added bonus!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Insufficient rest days.