high intense interval training

Options
Hi everyone I'm doing the H.I.I.T training I'm loosing weight pretty fast but I want to gain weight in muscle any tips to help me on my goal

Replies

• rsenor
    rsenor Posts: 57 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    all sarcasm aside, probably stop doing HIIT, my understanding it that it is designed for calorie burn and weight loss. Reduce cardio to 2-3x weekly non-HIIT or altogether. Eat more in all regards except in sugar and high glycemic and saturated and monounsaturated fat and lift rep 1-6x more heavily doing rep- 8-10 reps to failure,preferably incrementally to max. Eat healthy proteins (see above) and carbs 6x a day proprtionately- fist for carbs, palm per proteins is a good base gauge.

I am not a lifter regularly but I will check in with hubby when awake (he used to do bb comp and training) and see what he says.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Lift and eat.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    muscle is gained by lifting heavy and eating plenty of protein :smile:
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    HIIT is good, but don't overdo it like many. Once, maybe twice/week is plenty. Pump iron twice a week also.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Reduce the cardio.Do weights.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    First step is stop losing weight quickly - eat more, get adequate protein.
    Second step is chosing an appropriate exercise to build muscle - that's not HIIT.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've had very good results with lifting + HIIT. Real HIIT should only be 10-15 minutes anyway. If you can go longer, you aren't doing it right.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    If you're a beginner, just focus on weights for muscle gain. Eat at a slight surplus. Throw in HIIT later when you want to cut down the excess fat you'll gain with the muscle.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    HIIT is a term that has been so dragged through the mud that it's had to define. I personally would never view anything at less than 140-150% of VO2max as HIIT, but I see examples all the time of people defining long HIIT sessions. If your intensity goes up, your time limits go down, so to me "long HIIT sessions" is a complete conflict.

One of the primary benefits of some of the higher intensity HIIT protocols (true Tabata and such) was that the intensity was high enough to benefit both the anaerobic and aerobic systems. Doing a high intensity HIIT such as that would promote more muscle retention or possibly growth in some cases, as well as improve on VO2max and other factors that improve cardiovascular health measure.

Gaining muscle can be done many ways, both lifting and through other type activities. But just as with lifting to gain muscle, down wrong it's just not going to help much. If you aren't putting big effort into HIIT of any type, you probably aren't reaching any intensity that would help with muscle gain much if at all.