Rep Scheme

Options
There's a lot of love for low reps or "training for strength" -- so much so that it kind of gave me an attitude about doing more than 5 reps.

Now I kind of regret adopting that attitude because I'm enjoying 3x8 a lot more than I thought I would. I get that I'm missing out on the "move as much weight as possible" thing but... come on. There's got to be something said for the merits of training under your 3RM or 5RM.

I also enjoy not having to rest for two minutes between sets, 'cause that adds up.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I did 10 x10 on holiday recently (in a pretty hopeless hotel gym....) and it made a real change and a different kind of challenge. Enjoyment can be a goal too of course.

10 x 10 x 7 exercises got my fitness work in as well - the aircon was of the "open window on a hot day" variety so cardio was out.

Normally I do pyramid style 12 or 10 working down to 3, light to heavy. That seems to have gone out of fashion but it works for me and prevents injury.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I guess it kind of comes down to whatever works, right? I spent a lot of time listening to other people tell me what works, and not enough time figuring out how to apply that to something that works for me.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I like experimenting with different reps. I'm finding that I like 6-8 reps for squats, then 6-8 for bench and OHP but followed with a couple of higher rep sets, and still 3-5 for deadlift. But then I like 12-15 for goblet squats and a few isolation exercises.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I tend toward the 8-12 rep range, but will train lower reps/heavier weight from time to time.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Do both!

For my main movements / primary exercise of the day, I do 3 sets of 3-5 reps. Then you can do similar accessories, or a lighter load of the same main lift at a 3 sets of 8-12.

I.E. Bench 3 sets of 5, then lighter bench or incline bench at 3sets of 8-12.
    Or Squat 3 sets of 5, then pause squat or front squat 3 sets of 8-12. etc.
    This is of course when you are finished your full body beginner routines and move on to intermediate programs (i.e. upper/lower split). If you are doing full body, you don't want to gas yourself out only on 1 body part. The split allows you to hit the upper or lower body harder and get both strength and hypertrophy in.

And P.S. when moving maximum weight, rest 3-5 minutes, not just 2 minutes as you wrote. After 3 minutes, approximately 80% of your muscle’s ATP has been replenished, at 5 minutes, approximately 95% is back in the game, and at 8 minutes ~ 100% is there. If you are going for a PR, don't go in with 80%. If you can go in with only 2 minutes rest, you really are not pushing yourself as hard as you can.

Main Lifts: 3-5 minutes between sets
    Secondary Lifts: 2-3 minutes, I usually superset something in there to save time.
    Accessory lifts (i.e. curls, single muscle exercises): 1-2 minutes, superset to save time.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you are trying to bulk, then higher weight and less reps, etc. Doing a lot of heavy training when I was young. Has taken a toll on me later in life. I change up my routines often. To confuse my muscles.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I know the article subject is about hypertrophy, but has great data on results of varied rep ranges http://strengtheory.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/

Especially like this chart showing what people think and what is actual. It lends evidence to following what you enjoy or prefer based on goals, as while it might not be as optimal on paper (1-5 reps for strength, 8-12 for size, etc...), the actual gradations offer pretty close to the same results if you go a little outside of those "hallowed numbers".

12752057_10153492667389016_1119053659_o.jpg
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »
    I know the article subject is about hypertrophy, but has great data on results of varied rep ranges http://strengtheory.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/

Especially like this chart showing what people think and what is actual. It lends evidence to following what you enjoy or prefer based on goals, as while it might not be as optimal on paper (1-5 reps for strength, 8-12 for size, etc...), the actual gradations offer pretty close to the same results if you go a little outside of those "hallowed numbers".

[...]

This is awesome; a lot of people should see this.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I just do whatever my programmer programs in for me. Which is anywhere from heavy max singles to max reps.

I have a definite preference for reps under 5, but respect the need to sometimes improve my work capacity with higher reps on shorter rest (although I'm still mentally swearing over yesterday's attempt at sets of 10 on 90 seconds rest at 80%). I got all my reps in although rests got extended out and I needed two extra sets to get it done.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald recently wrote a great article about rep schemes and hypertrophy - lots of good information: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/the-hypertrophy-zone.html/