coffee coffee coffee

Options

Replies

• alipie420
    alipie420 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I used to use a flavored non-dairy creamer, but worried about the hydrogenated oils/artificial ingredients. Now I use a teaspoon of local/raw/unfiltered honey and 2 tablespoons of organic whole milk. It took a while to get used to the difference, but now I prefer it. If I taste the creamer now, it tastes really bad/fake/artificial. I feel like I can justify the honey because of all of it's health benefits vs. a teaspoon of white sugar...

Honey!! Haha im getting alot of good ideas here. My sister-in-law and her husband always have raw honey because he's a beekeeper! Haha i will be asking for some...
  • DeviatedNorm
    DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Consider trying decaf on mornings like this. Decaf coffee still has quite a bit of caffeine (10-15mg vs regular which has ~80mg). However, because of the reduced caffeine content the coffee isn't so bitter. I find just the sugar in a bit of cream is enough to sweeten things and make for quite the 30-40 calorie treat.
  • candoitkaren
    candoitkaren Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am a total coffee freak. About five years ago I calculated the calories I was putting into my coffee and they equaled a decent meal. I started to decrease my creamer then went to just sugar then....BLACK! YUCK!!!!! I struggled for around two weeks and now I can not stand anything in it! Weird I know. I long for the taste of strong black coffee AND espresso :) You can do anything you put your mind to
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,993 Member
    Options
    alipie420 wrote: »
    I used to use a flavored non-dairy creamer, but worried about the hydrogenated oils/artificial ingredients. Now I use a teaspoon of local/raw/unfiltered honey and 2 tablespoons of organic whole milk. It took a while to get used to the difference, but now I prefer it. If I taste the creamer now, it tastes really bad/fake/artificial. I feel like I can justify the honey because of all of it's health benefits vs. a teaspoon of white sugar...

Honey!! Haha im getting alot of good ideas here. My sister-in-law and her husband always have raw honey because he's a beekeeper! Haha i will be asking for some...

You're so lucky. My boss puts honey in his coffee. I don't care for it because I love my coffee just the way I make it. But I always put local honey in my tea during allergy season and it seems to help. It could be a placebo effect, but it makes me feel better.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I am a total coffee freak. About five years ago I calculated the calories I was putting into my coffee and they equaled a decent meal. I started to decrease my creamer then went to just sugar then....BLACK! YUCK!!!!! I struggled for around two weeks and now I can not stand anything in it! Weird I know. I long for the taste of strong black coffee AND espresso :) You can do anything you put your mind to

Once I went black I never went back! UNTIL i had to drink half-caff while pregnant and that crap NEEDED fixins. So Im slowly working my way back to black. Usually my 2nd cup and 3rd cup are black tho.
    A good quality coffee is great as is- when you get icky or weak coffee is when black aint so good. :)
  • silvilunazul
    silvilunazul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Splenda (sucralose). No after-taste and it's probably one of the most widely researched sweeteners. You can find it in packets and mini tablets. I use one mini tablet plus 1/3 unsweetened soy milk in my coffee every morning. Further cups of coffee go without milk though!
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

It's not weird. I have long observed that taste and appetite are mostly conditioned and "trainable". I can switch my taste to like or dislike bacon or pork fat anytime! hehe. That's one of the big keys in my wt loss effort.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I too am a coffee fiend - I can drink it black, decaf, regular, sweet, flavoured - anyway that is on offer. My preference is with 1 tbsp of 5% cream (10 cals) and a packet (or tablet) of Splenda. I LOVE the large cappuchino from McDonalds made with skim milk and sugar free vanilla syrup, but that clocks in at around 120 cals, and I am not really a fan of drinking my calories - I can spend those on something I value more than the coffee.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I never met a coffee I didn't like.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Having sugar and cream in your coffee isn't going to ruin you or your progress. I've lost 60 lbs and I have one black coffee in the morning and one with 2 pkgs of sugar and 2 tbsps of cream in the afternoon. It's my after lunch "dessert". I love it and I don't think I can give it up. And why would I when I'm making great progress? No food is evil or bad. It's all about moderation.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I have trained myself that I can drink both -- black or with cream, sugar. The latter is a bit for enjoyment in addition to the caffeine fix. A tsp of sugar is 16 cal, 1 tsp of power creamer is 10. Coffee is 2 per cup. This is a drink that's low in calories but gives you the most mileage. Next is (certain) energy drink. Use them wisely.

not all coffee is 2 calories per cup some are a little more but not much.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I use a flavored creamer in mine .....I just don't add any EXTRA sugar
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Monk fruit sweetener tastes the best to me in coffee and has no aftertaste. You can find it in most grocery stores (except Kroger for some reason) in the sugar-baking aisle. It is in an orange box from the "In the Raw" brand. Skinnygirl also sometimes has it in a liquid that you can carry around with you too. I carry both the packets and the liquid in my purse. Now I can buy also unsweetened bottles of tea and give it a few squirts of the monkfruit and have my "sweet tea" without all those sugars.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I am of a fan of the Califia Farms Almond Milk Coffee Creamers (Whole Foods)--about 15 calories per tablespoon (15 mL).
  • JanPalmer500
    JanPalmer500 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A top Sirtfood is coffee, which is great news if you like caffeine. Keep out the sugar and the milk though.
  • richard_no1
    richard_no1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Black, black, black! No sugar either. I trained myself off sugar and milk/cream in coffee when studying madly all night for my university finals - spoon of instant in a cup and hot water from the tap kept me going. 40 years on I'm still a black no sugar man; double-shot espresso being my drink of choice - what a buzz! So I would recommend ditching sugar and cream completely, you'll soon get used to it and come to love the full-on coffee experience without the calories!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If I'm drinking iced coffee, I use whole milk, no sweetener. If I'm drinking hot coffee, I prefer heavy cream, and again, no sweetener. I feel like there is enough natural sweetness in the dairy that you don't need anything additional. Of course, quality makes a difference, and I get my dairy straight from the farm, and it's amazing, and a million times better than the stuff at the grocery store.

This is from today, you can actually see some of the milk fat floating on the surface:
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee black but I do have tea with milk (2%) and sugar. I just log the calories and move along.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I appreciate caffeine, can't stand the taste of plain coffee (especially in my office). I usually drink the Skinny Cow Mocha, and if it tastes really sweet that day, I'll cut it with a little coffee. It's got a good chunk of calories, and a bunch of ingredients, but I consider it a necessary part of not killing my coworkers.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    The header for this thread was coffee coffee coffee. Today I have only had coffee coffee. Time for another coffee so I can participate in this coffee coffee coffee thread :-)

Black - of course