shirataki noodles

Options
I just discovered these last night at publix, the whole package is only 80 calories and boy are they filling. I haven't had real noodles in a long time so they were very good. Has anyone else tried them? I had fettuccini last night tonight I will have spaghetti ones.

Replies

• shoopies
    shoopies Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yeah! Hungry Girl uses them all the time in her recipes. They're GREAT when you just feel the need for quantity over quality. :) And let's face it, sometimes we all need that!
  • edinat
    edinat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    wow that is amazing, i have been trying to find those for a long time but we dont have publix and the stores here dont carry them:( i tried Kroger, walmart, Hutchins etc....i had no luck i didnt feel like ordering them online for some reason. But hungry girl has a lot of recipes for shirtaki noodles, i heard some ppl say there good and others say there not that good i guess it depends on ur taste.
  • kriswigg
    kriswigg Posts: 95
    Options
    How much is in a package? It's odd, since you said that the whole package is 80 calories, but the ads claim they are "calorie free." I'll have to look and see if I can find them. Anyone seen them in the Columbus, Ohio area?
  • sdickerson
    Options
    Yes. The best ones are Miracle Noodles, with zero calories. I also found they have a better texture and taste than those that have tofu added (which also adds calories and carbs). However, while they are a great fiber/filler, I found that they can cause you to seem as though you're not losing weight or bloating since that fiber stays with you. If you eat them in moderation you should be fine.
  • sdickerson
    Options
    You can order online: www.miraclenoodle.com
  • emciriaco
    emciriaco Posts: 41
    Options
    I am going to have to look for these the next time I go to Publix! Win! =)
  • CoachKaren
    CoachKaren Posts: 90
    Options
    I agree with s****erson. The Miracle Noodles are the BOMB. miraclenoodles.com Good stuff.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    YES! I love them w/ homemade spaghetti sauce and veggies!
  • CoachKaren
    CoachKaren Posts: 90
    Options
    LOL! did the comp just blurr (****) part of your name? OMG.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a case of shirataki noodles from Miracle Noodles. My husband and I love them!!!
  • pamarnold
    pamarnold Posts: 36
    Options
    How much is in a package? It's odd, since you said that the whole package is 80 calories, but the ads claim they are "calorie free." I'll have to look and see if I can find them. Anyone seen them in the Columbus, Ohio area?

The "zero calorie" claim is probably per serving... a lot of companies advertise like that.
  • ShinyFraga
    ShinyFraga Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I just got some in the mail that I ordered from AsianFoodGrocer.com! so excited to try them out! and the ones I got have ZERO calories. :smile:
  • mixtapemusings
    mixtapemusings Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I recently started eating them. They have them at all the grocery stores by me, Ralphs, Albertsons, Von's, Safeway etc. In the tofu section. They are super filling and pretty good. They definitely have a little different texture than pasta...a little rubbery. But with a good sauce you can't really tell the difference. :)
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    I like the tofu ones slightly better, but all make great filler.

The ones I order online are from konjacfoods.com. They have alot of varieties of noodle sizes/shapes, though honestly, I haven't liked anything that was a thick shape/noodle. When it's thick, not enough sauce can hide the tastelessness of them.

They have some tiny pasta shapes that are kind of like little rice grains - that was quite nice to toss in a stir fry. But I just purchased the angel hair last time - cheapest buy for a 24 pack.
  • Sweetplady
    Sweetplady Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I heard about them, I researched and found where they were sold, drove 45 minutes to get them, I bought 3 bags, and they were TERRIBLE. They were expensive (if they were good, I wouldn't mind the cost). I will take my spaghetti squash any day over those things. They have a terrible odor that I couldn't cook out, wash out, season and even laughing cow cheese couldn't get rid of it. I don't like them, and neither did my husband. I know there are some people who do like them, but most people I know who have tried them, do not.

By the way, I made the best pizza/lasagna last night using eggplant, turkey pepperoni (70 calories per 17 slices, 4 grams of fat),
    tomato sauce seasoned with italian season. Sauted onion and garlic and mushrooms using pam olive oil spray and seasoning.

I sliced my eggplant into 1 - 2 inch wide and they were lengthwise long thin slices. Stacked them on a plate. Covered with plastic and microwaved on high for 5 min. (This get them soft without adding any calories)

Then I layered (purple peeling layer of eggplant 1st layer on bottom of baking dish)
    then layered just like I would regular lasagna noodles. Layered my sauce, mozzarela cheese, onion, mushroom, turkey pepperoni. Etc.
    Baked covered for 20 min. then uncovered for 10. It turned out great.
    1 cup of eggplant 20 calories. Versus 1 cup of any regular noodles (whole wheat, regular . . . .whatever) 180 -200 calories.

Spaghetti squash
    using a fork or knife, poke holes all around as you would a potato. Cover with plastic. Microwave on high for 10 to 14 min. (depends on the size of spaghetti squash). Take out and let cool for about 5 to 10 minutes. Cut in half. Scoop out seeds and discard. Then rake out noodles with a fork.
    They are great. Use any way you would spaghetti noodles.
    42 calories per cup serving spaghetti squash
  • asiangroceriesonline
    Options
    Hey Guys! My name is Dan and I have worked at an Asian grocery for 15 years here in Columbus Ohio. Me and my wife Just started our own business selling Asian food online. We are small, and we have limited product, but we are a professional licensed food distributor with experience and have the cheapest product on the net, including the noodles your interested in. You can buy these noodles from us if you would like at Asiangroceriesonline.com. Me and my family would appreciate your business, and it would be an honor to serve you.