How do you exercise?

Options
How do you exercise when you don't have a tv for dvds, or money for a gym? (Just some rambling from me: First my dog passes away in my arms:cry: , then two nights later my cable box gets struck by lightening. Now I have no stove, hot water heater, a/c, or dryer.) I'm just wondering on what you do for exercise? I am having a really rough week and I want your input on how to keep working out with out my dvds, or being so hot outside? Thanks all.
:heart: Pearl

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Is there a local pool around? Go out later when it cools down for a walk/run. If your computer is working then check out youtube for some workout videos.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk/jog, check youtube for exercise videos, jog in place or laps around your living room, do jumping jacks/crunches/push ups/etc., do you have a bike you can ride?, put on the radio and dance to music for 30 minutes or so. There's plenty of things you can do without a gym/dvds!
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are having a really rough week... I'm so sorry for the loss of your dog.... :(

As for exercise, perhaps walking, swimming, sports, riding a bike, roller blading, etc... Hope your week gets better!
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Try crunches or sit ups, lunges, squats, pushups, jumping jacks, running, jumping rope! Just to name a few!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    aww..im sorry to hear about your puppy :cry: i know how it feels, only i was sitting next to and petting my cat when she passed...until then, i agree with the others...get on you tube or turn on the radio and dance..perhaps there is a rec center near you that has a walking track you can use free of charge..best of luck, and take care, love
  • Chrissy2627
    Options
    If it's too hot outside, you could always go to the mall to walk.
  • pricetm83
    pricetm83 Posts: 49
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your dog and your rough times :( I sincerely hope things start to look up for you soon.

Walking or jogging outside or at the mall is always great.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear you are having such a rough week. You can go for walking early in the morning or in the evening when it cools off, dance to music, try exercisetv.com, netflix or youtube for exercise videos on your computer, also walking in place is good exercise, bike riding, any movement is better then nothing. good luck, just hang in there
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    If you have DVDs, can you play them on your computer? Also, if you have Internet access, try http://www.exercisetv.tv/. They have free workouts that you can stream.

Jumping rope is a great aerobic workout.

I once read an article by "the world's fittest man" (cracks me up when they give people these titles). He said the simplest workout for someone with no equipment or time would be to just cycle through pushups, crunches, and squats for as long as you could.

Walking is great. If it's too hot outside, is there a shopping mall near you? The malls in my area always have people show up before the stores open to walk laps in the a/c; a few of them actually have "walkers clubs" where you can meet other people and get official literature/tips (i.e., "this route, X laps = 1 mile," "burn X calories if you walk this route in 20 mins.," etc.).

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. Stay strong. As they say, "This, too, shall pass."
  • aneisiena
    aneisiena Posts: 63
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I'm a big dog lover and truly believe they are FAMILY!

For exercise on a budget and with limited resources, I would recommend a jump rope. It's an amazing cardio workout! Other than that, I agree with those above me about walking/jogging/running and visiting a community pool.

Best of luck!
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Go for a run or walk, bikeride, rollerblading....or like someone else mentioned, situps, pushups, squats, lunges, jump rope.....Or go online & find a utube workout maybe?
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    So sorry about your dog but there's an ideal way to exercise if you are a dog lover - do you have a local dog shelter/ rescue centre? If so, they are usually crying out for volunteers to walk the dogs, especially the energetic ones. Before I got my three dogs, I used to volunteer at our local retired greyhound shelter as a dog walker and I still go there now. It's very rewarding and very good for your health and makes you feel like you are making a difference. We take the dogs out into the countryside and generally get them used to being pets after years spent as racing machines, geting them ready for going to new homes. Some of them have never really known a kind word. Now, greyhounds are a bit crap at being running partners (they are lazy!) - but other breeds are great, including one of my whippets!
  • StephanieAnnie488
    Options
    Clean! and dance around the house like a maniac while you do it! PRODUCTIVE, FREE, AND FUN :)

Also, so sorry to hear about your dog. <3
  • Jillong
    Jillong Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Download from http://runningintoshape.com/ and stop feeling sorry for yourself. There are always other people worse off then yourself.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I am so so sorry about your puppy.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    sorry you are having such a rough time *hugs*
    do you have a community center in your area? they usually offer great prices on workout classes