Overnight Weight Loss

Options
So, I weighed myself right before bed last night, and again first thing out of bed this morning. My weight changed by 4.8 lbs! Overnight! Now, I know that I go to the bathroom a few times, and I am a bit thirsty when I wake up, but could all of that be water weight? Is this normal for folks, or am I just a freak of nature? (insert your joke here)

I guess this is why they say to weigh yourself at the same time of the day - this kind of flucuation is just weird...

Replies

• thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    It's not weird --- that kind of change (while a big change) is not entirely uncommon. I can be up or down 3-4 lbs. in a day depending on how I'm eating or exercising.
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have definitely lost 5 lbs overnight before... I can't explain it either, so I always weigh myself first thing in the morning! Same conditions... otherwise, who knows!!!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    you retain water during the day over night it goes back down.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Its not unusual and the reason that I weigh myself at the same time every day lol
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    it is natural to be a different weight throughout the day; gravity, food, water, etc. play a roll. advice- weigh yourself naked, first thing in the morning after you pee every time so you know at your cleanest what you weigh & if you've lost anything :o)
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    On a regular day, I lose 3 pounds over night. on days that I retain water from too much sodium, I can lose up to 6. But then, I have water retention issues so I'm not 100% my situation is normal.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely no expert, so anyone with more knowledge is welcome to chime in and correct me...my guess is that the weight was so drastically different because when you weighed at night it was after you had been eating throughout the day, when you weighed in the morning you had been fasting throughout the night so it was a battle of the full tummy vs. the empty tummy.
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Everything correct already said above. Weight is drastically different in the evening. Weigh yourself in the morning every day.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    im generally ALWAYS 3 pounds heavier right before bed than i am right when i wake up. sometimes a little less, sometimes more. also, sometimes ill weigh before and after going pee and it can cahnge by over a pound sometimes, so that alone will change ur weight.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Not unusual.
    Even funnier ... I weighed myself before and after exercise (running and/or weights) and found that I actually was about a pound HEAVIER after exercising. Could be all the water I drank, dunno. But still amusing.
  • broxi1979
    broxi1979 Posts: 30
    Options
    This is very common, it is a mix of various things including dehydration but also that you tend to make the most gains in periods of rest, this is especially true if you have a regular training routine. For people who train Mon-Fri, how many times have you noticed that you lose the biggest amount of weight over the weekend when you weigh yourself on the Monday?

I advise regular rest days to maximise your training.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    from what I have seen, it is a difference for everyone, but way crazier for women. add in the TOM and it can fluctuate by huge amts that make no sense from day today even waying nakies post potty and pre food/drink.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I do that every night. It ranges between 2 and 7 pounds depending on my water intake that day.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I think this is common. Consider, you are breathing all night long - lots of water vapor in your breath. You typically make a bathroom trip during the night, and again in the morning. Water weighs about 8lbs per gallon. I use this point as my baseline; before I have had breakfast or drank any water. This is typically the lowest point in weight you will have for the day; so if you weigh at this point every day, you should have a consistent data point.