To sync or not to sync

Options
I've been debating on syncing my fitbit to MFP but am on the fence about it. Does anyone have both accounts synced and find its pretty accurate calorie wise or am I better of keeping them separated? thanks for any feedback ☺

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have had mine synced since last July and am very pleased with the accuracy.

If you don't like it, you can always undo it.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    If you don't sync them, what will be your primary goal for using the Fitbit? (Honest question - meant to be food for thought.)

Generally, people use a Fitbit to track their total calorie burn each day in a way that is (though not guaranteed, as everyone is different) typically a much closer estimate to your TRUE calorie burn than an online activity calculator would give you. You then subtract out your desired deficit (if trying to lose) and eat that number of calories, using Fitbit or one of the sync-able sites like MFP to log your food to meet that calorie count.

If you don't sync the accounts (or otherwise log your food in Fitbit so that you're still utilizing their calories burned number in some way), then what information does the Fitbit provide? Simply data for comparison? Will you be using it just as motivation to hit a certain number of steps or calories? Are you ok with not using your Fitbit to its full potential?

It's 100% an individual decision, but there's certainly nothing to lose by trying it out and seeing if it works for you.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have had my Fitbit since Christmas and synced it right away. Have eaten back most of the calories my Fitbit has given me and have lost at about the rate I would expect. For me it appears to be very close to accurate.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have mine synced and usually my deficit for the day in MFP is about the same as my Fitbit app shows (I have both MFP and Fitbit apps set to Sedentary maintaince calories and deduct a 500 calorie deficit from the total). The only problem I'm having right now is MFP is sending duplicate meals to Fitbit so my Fitbit app is showing more calories consumed than I actually consumed which messes up my deficit in the Fitbit app, but MFP is still correct as far as exercise calories being transferred over.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My fitbit's synced with MFP and I'm very pleased with it, especially the accuracy of the calories burned (Loads better than MFP). I just log my food in MFP, let fitbit count my steps and subtract.

(For example yesterday I went to the cinema and had some sweets. I felt terrible afterwards because I went over my allotted calories, but when I looked at fitbit I still had a 500 cal deficit for the day. Instantly made me feel loads better :) )

72regsxadjr4.jpg
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My fitbit's synced with MFP and I'm very pleased with it, especially the accuracy of the calories burned (Loads better than MFP). I just log my food in MFP, let fitbit count my steps and subtract.

(For example yesterday I went to the cinema and had some sweets. I felt terrible afterwards because I went over my allotted calories, but when I looked at fitbit I still had a 500 cal deficit for the day. Instantly made me feel loads better :) )

72regsxadjr4.jpg

The two should match actually...

Burned goes over to MFP and food comes to activity tracker through mfp...you should have had and extra 500 in MFP too if you have it set up correctly
  • WinterCrystal
    WinterCrystal Posts: 37 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you don't sync them, what will be your primary goal for using the Fitbit? (Honest question - meant to be food for thought.)

Generally, people use a Fitbit to track their total calorie burn each day in a way that is (though not guaranteed, as everyone is different) typically a much closer estimate to your TRUE calorie burn than an online activity calculator would give you. You then subtract out your desired deficit (if trying to lose) and eat that number of calories, using Fitbit or one of the sync-able sites like MFP to log your food to meet that calorie count.

If you don't sync the accounts (or otherwise log your food in Fitbit so that you're still utilizing their calories burned number in some way), then what information does the Fitbit provide? Simply data for comparison? Will you be using it just as motivation to hit a certain number of steps or calories? Are you ok with not using your Fitbit to its full potential?

It's 100% an individual decision, but there's certainly nothing to lose by trying it out and seeing if it works for you.

Edited moved post under ☺
  • WinterCrystal
    WinterCrystal Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Tbh I got it as an eye opener to see how much I was moving through out the day. I was worried the sync would say to eat more calories so I just stuck with MFP but my weight hasn't budged so that's why I thought I'd check out the sync to see what others thought. I think I'll give it ago everyone's seems pretty happy and hopefully when I step on scale this week there'll be some change
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Tbh I got it as an eye opener to see how much I was moving through out the day. I was worried the sync would say to eat more calories so I just stuck with MFP but my weight hasn't budged so that's why I thought I'd check out the sync to see what others thought. I think I'll give it ago everyone's seems pretty happy and hopefully when I step on scale this week there'll be some change

Since getting my Fitbit I get more calories almost every day than I did before; however, there are some exercises that I was overestimating before as well. If your weight hasn't budged you may need to tighten up your food logging.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I say try it and if it doesn't work for you then undo it. It doesn't work for me, but I see lots of people who do great with them synced.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, OP. I just got a fitbit a couple days ago and I've not synced it yet. It was always the intention to sync, but I was wondering how that worked out for others.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Hell no.

My fitbit gave me numbers that made absolutely no sense. I would burn more calories on a day with less steps and less active minutes. No sense. I definitely wouldn't base my diary on that. I had the One (well I still have it... in a box somewhere).

I just used mine to give me an idea of my TDEE, and just ate 20% less calories than the average number it gave me.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Hell no.

My fitbit gave me numbers that made absolutely no sense. I would burn more calories on a day with less steps and less active minutes. No sense. I definitely wouldn't base my diary on that. I had the One (well I still have it... in a box somewhere).

I just used mine to give me an idea of my TDEE, and just ate 20% less calories than the average number it gave me.

Do you think fitbits might have changed a little bit since you had the One?
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Hell no.

http://www.wthr.com/story/31285468/sometimes-your-fitness-tracker-lies-a-lot-fitbit-jawbone-garmin-ifit-misfit-accuracy

Food for thought.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hell no.

http://www.wthr.com/story/31285468/sometimes-your-fitness-tracker-lies-a-lot-fitbit-jawbone-garmin-ifit-misfit-accuracy

Food for thought.

Yikes.
    Hell no.

It was 1.5 year ago. That's hardly a very long time, especially when, you know, the One is still available.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I don't sync.

I track my food here and use my Fitbit Charge HR for activity/TDEE info.

I see no need to sync. I have no problem looking at the two sets of data independently of one another and easily figuring out what they mean. It ain't rocket science.

And I read of way too many problems with syncing. Who has time to fool with that?

FWIW, I've had my Fitbit for almost eight months. I find it to be very accurate. If anything I believe it slightly under estimates my TDEE.
  • Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Since getting my Fitbit I get more calories almost every day than I did before; however, there are some exercises that I was overestimating before as well. If your weight hasn't budged you may need to tighten up your food logging.

My weight wasn't budging until I starting syncing my Fitbit to MFP. I wasn't eating ENOUGH food.

• fifiman
    fifiman Posts: 34 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

72regsxadjr4.jpg

The two should match actually...

Burned goes over to MFP and food comes to activity tracker through mfp...you should have had and extra 500 in MFP too if you have it set up correctly

Actually...the two should not match.

Sounds like she has a 1000 calorie deficit set on MFP, which means if she overeats her allotted calorie amount by 500 calories, then it will appear as -500 on MFP (e.g. MFP tells her to eat 1400, she eats 1900, and therefore is -500 on MFP). However, on her Fitbit dashboard, it will still indicate (as you can see from the picture) that she is still in a 500 calorie deficit, which she was.

So, she ate 1900 calories and it shows up as -500 on MFP, but her Fitbit shows her that she ended up burning 2400 calories that day - in which case, 2400 - 1900 = 500 calorie deficit.

Even though she is -500 on MFP, she is still in a deficit of 500 calories (1000-500=500). The Fitbit reminded her of this fact and she didn't feel so bad anymore about going over.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hell no.

Food for thought.

i looked up mine and the test there you see i have done Misfit Flash, Polar watch and VO2 Max
    And indeed about 11% on average off. Everytime again ( had it done 6 times)
    Never-less when you know that, what is the problem? its a tool meaning when it says i burn 2500 calories i know it is around 11% off

Very simple
    Just for every other tool You learn to know them.
    I lost 130 lbs with my "gadgets/tool" because i took the time to know and understand them.

Worked and still works perfect for me.

Now in maintenance i kept a "deficit setting" of 250 calories which is about my maintaining level of eating around 2000 calories lol

Best tool there is and accurate?...data keep your data!!!
    weigh your food in grams everything on a scale in grams......take what you daily ate and how much weight you lost.

Daily intake + weight loss is your TDEE/maintenance
    Now take your gadget/tool and compare and you know how much it is normally off and work with it.

For me that is around that 11% like given here in the tests. I know it, i can live with it and i adjust accordingly.
    Works perfect, everyday again!

Also found out that every 2130 steps is about 100 calories more to add to my BMR. So now i dont calculate even the 11%...i just know that when i walk around the 15000 steps i can safely eat 2000 calories and even lose a half pound a month.
    I just kept all my data and learned..... to know my body, my weight loss, my Misfit and Polar, and my maintenance.
    Patience and persistence

95069916.png

• sharonandwyatt
    sharonandwyatt Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I sync mine and I'm loving it so far. Lost 10 lbs since March 1.... I don't eat all my calories back that the Fitbit adds but I do eat some.