Have your food scales impacted your weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• ctoavs76
    ctoavs76 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't post or comment very often, but I do read here a lot. My weight loss had stalled a bit, and the one thing I wasn't doing was using a food scale. I got one and realized that I was eating more than I thought. One example is some crackers that I like. The box said 9 crackers was a serving, but when I actually weighed them out for the recommended grams, 9 crackers was several grams over the serving size. It was more like 7 crackers. It doesn't seem like much, but it adds up. Since I've started using a food scale, the weight has started coming off again.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Love using the scale. It's made a huge difference in my weight loss.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My food scale was one of my best purchases! Way easier to use than measuring cups and spoons and so many less dishes to wash! So much more accurate too! I can totally tell on my bathroom scale when I have been slacking on using my food scale! There's just no way to be accurate without one.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    All of the yes.

I feel like I've been consistently losing since I started weighing my food, where as before it was a struggle and Id be up and down up and down which is super discouraging.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, I had a good 30-40 pounds to lose and I lost without one. Pretty soon I had to get one because my calories in were just not accurate enough to be losing consistently. I found the switch to be very easy as I was dirtying less measuring cups. If I want to cook my dinner in a skillet, I literally put the pan on the scale and start adding ingredients, using the tare option to set it back to zero in between. Very easy.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    My food scale has definitely been eye-opening and very helpful.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    A very rude awakening when I got a food scale. My guesstimates of what I thought was a portion, in particular for things like cereals, rice or pasta was often quadruple of what it should have been. LOL
  • lindathom209
    lindathom209 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just finally got one because I wanted to see what a serving of spaghetti was. I've been successfully losing weight without it and it turns out I've been pretty accurate with logging so I don't feel like I really need it. But it's not a hassle and I don't really see any drawbacks to having one.
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just bought one last night at Walmart. $15. I have lost weight without one, but this time around I was just curious. Like yesterday I logged half an avocado as 150 cals, but I'm dying to know what it really is. I'll weigh the other half today.
  • Rebekkadorn
    Rebekkadorn Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've religiously used my scale and seen the benefits. However I am from the UK so we don't really use cups
  • InigoAndTheVoid
    InigoAndTheVoid Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It lets me incorporate things like cheese which are so high calorie I would otherwise be wary. This way I can measure out 20 grams or whatever and know if it's in budget for the day. The certainty keeps me from feeling guilty
  • kgailvincent
    kgailvincent Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    using a scale is the only way I eat most days. my scale weighs in grams so thats a huge plus...especially when it comes to leafy greens and veggies that don't really fit into a cup. Happy weighing
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My food scale and I are BFFs... I have lost weight in the past without one - I was still a little Nazi about serving sizes, but it was so much more time consuming to be strict without one. I would literally pour out a box of pasta that had 7 servings and divide all the pieces up into 7 piles and put them in separate baggies. And when you're using measuring cups, etc you dirty so many dishes and you can never get that last little bit of peanut butter out of the tablespoon. The food scale makes life so much easier in retrospect.

One handy hint that I found (and maybe I'm just dense that it took it took so long for this to occur to me) was that for things that are semi difficult to measure on the food scale because maybe the pan is too big to set on there, or whatever the reason, you can put the container of whatever you're using (lets say peanut butter for easiness sake) on the scale, zero it out, and then get some out and see what container weighs after... whatever the negative number is in grams is how much peanut butter you used.

But yeah, over weighing my food has made my life easier in the long run rather than tougher.
  • WestCoastJanice
    WestCoastJanice Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love to bake and a scale was great at getting consistent results, as such it was a no brainer to use it with MFP. I love that I can accurately measure a recipe and services by sizes and know that the calorie counts are right.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Absolutely and in a positive way - my problem was portion control. Now when I prepare a dish, I weigh the whole amount and then divide by the number of servings it is supposed to have, so I can get the right size serving. Huge benefit for me.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!
  • potadre
    potadre Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Getting a digital food scale was by far the single most important factor contributing to my being able to lose weight. I'm pretty much not capable of losing weight without using it, I wish I was exaggerating. I got to my goal weight a while ago and then got pretty lax about it and decided to see what would happen if I stopped using it, and I gained about 15 pounds in just a few months. Especially if you're down to the last 10 or 20 pounds, and you're like me and don't always exercise as much as should, a digital food scale (in my experience) is pretty crucial.
  • potadre
    potadre Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That said! Now that I'm used to using it, I've gotten pretty good at eyeballing things. Once you weigh certain things a few times you obviously get a better idea of what a portion size is, and you get a handle on, for instance, what 100 grams feels and looks like, which is useful if you're in a hurry or your stupid scale battery dies like mine did a few days ago!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    My food scale and I are BFFs... I have lost weight in the past without one - I was still a little Nazi about serving sizes, but it was so much more time consuming to be strict without one. I would literally pour out a box of pasta that had 7 servings and divide all the pieces up into 7 piles and put them in separate baggies. And when you're using measuring cups, etc you dirty so many dishes and you can never get that last little bit of peanut butter out of the tablespoon. The food scale makes life so much easier in retrospect.

One handy hint that I found (and maybe I'm just dense that it took it took so long for this to occur to me) was that for things that are semi difficult to measure on the food scale because maybe the pan is too big to set on there, or whatever the reason, you can put the container of whatever you're using (lets say peanut butter for easiness sake) on the scale, zero it out, and then get some out and see what container weighs after... whatever the negative number is in grams is how much peanut butter you used.

But yeah, over weighing my food has made my life easier in the long run rather than tougher.

Yes - to me, that's the big plus: Weighing is easier & quicker than cup measures, once you know the tricks (and yes, way more accurate).

Another tip, assuming your scale has the tare/zero function, is for multi-ingredient things. First, put your pan or bowl on the scale (sit it on a narrow, light bowl or jar if it blocks the display). Then zero it, put in the first ingredient, log it. Zero the scale, put in the next ingredient, log it. Repeat until all the ingredients that go in at once are logged. Great for salads & such!

For things that go in separately, I like to keep some plastic yogurt lids (or cottage cheese lids, or whatever). I put a lid on the scale, zero, put an ingredient on it, log it, set the lid aside until it's time to add the ingredient to whatever I'm fixing. This is especially good for small but messy things, so you don't have to wash the scale off (and the lids are easier to rinse than dishes).

Finally, because I don't like to keep my phone on the kitchen counter for logging (I'm messy), I note the ingredients/weights on a junk-mail envelope & log it electronically later. (Yeah, you can use a pretty, new notepad instead. ;) ).

And you don't have a bunch of cups to scrape stuff out of, wash, etc.! Yay!