coffee coffee coffee

Options
13»

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I like half a sweetener in mine. With a drop of milk. Preferably whole milk (3.5%).
    Or black.
    Or just with milk.

I'm not picky lol.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    It's got a good chunk of calories, and a bunch of ingredients, but I consider it a necessary part of not killing my coworkers.

LOL I love this
  • GrooveMerchant
    GrooveMerchant Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Took me a minute to figure out 'coffee regular' = cream + sweet. Isn't that an east coast thing?

Black for me.. French press at home. Though I'm pretty OK with a double latte, too... just too cheap to spend the money most days. I'm a coffee snob.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    alipie420 wrote: »
    So I'm usually not a regular coffee drinker but this morning I feel like i really need some! I don't like coffee just black, but i also don't want to put too much sugar either. Any regular coffee drinkers that have some advice? How much sugar should I use or rather a healthier kind of sweetener?

I used to really like 2 or 3 splenda in a large cup of coffee..slowly I aquired the taste for coffee and now I prefer 1, maybe 2 splenda, either way it's basically calorie free =)
  • Odilerubia
    Odilerubia Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You might like to try almond milk, its low in calories and pretty sweet. I personally am not a fan, so I use a quarter cup of 0%fat milk and no sweetener. What might do the trick is foaming your milk and add a little bit of cinnamon on top. Cinnamon takes the bitterness away and I often prepare my coffee in an old fashioned cafetera (on top of the fire/gas) and I add to the loose coffee some cinnamon (learned that in the Dominican Republic while living there). I also do my own type of bulletcoffee, no butter yikes sounds awful, but with half a teaspoon of coconutoil. Love it and is very healthy and good for digestion and losing fat! And, if you can get good honey this easily you might like to start drinking the tea that you make with cinnamon and honey, supposedly its excellent to lose weight. Check Pinterest! Enjoy your coffee and I dont do decaf, I need the powerboost, especially while losing weight!
  • GrooveMerchant
    GrooveMerchant Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    I am a total coffee freak. About five years ago I calculated the calories I was putting into my coffee and they equaled a decent meal. I started to decrease my creamer then went to just sugar then....BLACK! YUCK!!!!! I struggled for around two weeks and now I can not stand anything in it! Weird I know. I long for the taste of strong black coffee AND espresso :) You can do anything you put your mind to

Once I went black I never went back! UNTIL i had to drink half-caff while pregnant and that crap NEEDED fixins. So Im slowly working my way back to black. Usually my 2nd cup and 3rd cup are black tho.
    A good quality coffee is great as is- when you get icky or weak coffee is when black aint so good. :)

Exactly. Good beans + good brewing method... yummy toasty goodness. Kinda smoky, with that really fine layer of oil on the top... hell yeah. OK now I need to go get some joe. We were big Alton Brown nerds when we got married and he convinced me to use a French press- have never looked back.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    So I'm usually not a regular coffee drinker but this morning I feel like i really need some! I don't like coffee just black, but i also don't want to put too much sugar either. Any regular coffee drinkers that have some advice? How much sugar should I use or rather a healthier kind of sweetener?

Try buying flavored coffee so that you don't have to sweeten it? When it comes to coffee, tea, and beer, I am convinced you just need to find a flavor that suits you.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I use a double espresso with a teaspoon of dark muscavado sugar to get the biggest bang for buck! Super caffeine, a little sugar sweetness and such a strong taste you don't need more. All for around 20 happily disposable calories.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    xSPICYx wrote: »

Try buying flavored coffee so that you don't have to sweeten it? When it comes to coffee, tea, and beer, I am convinced you just need to find a flavor that suits you.

Beer is what comes to mind when people say they don't like coffee. I mean, most of us didn't like beer the first time we tried it, right? It's kind of weird how we will train ourselves to get used to certain things.

I use 2 packets of equal currently, but I could probably cut down to 1 or drink it black at this point. Used to use nestle no-fat non-dairy creamer but I kept running out so I just started to get used to my coffee without it. I think I was only using one packet of equal with the creamer though. If you want to become a regular drinker, you can train yourself over time to get used to less and less of creamer/sugar. Also I believe as we get older we get more tolerant of and more appreciative of bitter flavor. That said, if you can fit all your creamer/sugar in your calories, I say go ahead and drink it how it tastes best to you!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    I understand why people cover up the taste of their coffee with creamer and sugar. If only you guys realized what you're drinking is essentially the stale bread-equivalent of coffee. The chemical reaction of brewing coffee is visibly and vastly different between freshly roasted coffee and shelf-stale store bought coffee. After raw beans are roasted, cooled, and packaged they sit around in a warehouse for months before getting distributed to stores where they sit around for weeks or months before they're bought and brewed by customers. In many cases the coffee you're drinking off the store shelf was roasted 6-12 months ago. This is the equivalent of making a sandwich with stale bread, or like drinking flat soda.

After roasting coffee, it takes about 3-4 weeks before the chemical stability starts to decline and the coffee becomes stale. In a pour-over brew process (such as Chemex), you can see the difference. I made coffee with freshly roasted 2-day old $5/lb Ethiopian coffee, followed by a $16/lb Starbucks coffee. The creama and chemical reactions going on in the fresh roasted coffee was exciting with fast expansions in the bloom. I poured hot water over the expensive starbucks and saw absolutely no reaction. It dribbled down like flat dead soda. Because it'd been months if not years since it's roast date.

I'm not trying to shame or scare anyone, just inform. I roast my own coffee, and while it is a little more involved I do find it cheaper as a maintainable habit of coffee drinking and a bit of a fun hobby. Not only do I save tons of money by buying raw coffee at around $5-6 per pound, but I'm also able to control the level of the roast and in the end ALL the coffee I make is absolutely the freshest available. It's like comparing fresh squeezed OJ to that Tropicana crap that was kept in vats in a warehouse.

If you want to get in to roasting your own, it's not that difficult but it does take a little bit of learning. If that's too much for you I urge you to support local roasteries. Find a coffee shop that roasts their own beans and try buying from them. Don't buy your coffee stale, you won't ever regret that. Science proves this.

Thanks.

I've had fancy coffee and I enjoy and appreciate it.

At home we drink Folgers because that ish costs money and we drink A LOT of coffee. It works for us. Coffee snobs can look down their nose at me all they want but I like it just fine.

With anything, drink what you enjoy and own it. Whether it's Bud Light Lime vs. a good microbrew or freshly roasted coffee from the Columbian wilderness vs. Folgers - just drink what you like and don't be ashamed of it.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    If you wanna buy large containers for cheap, you can try Chock Full o'Nuts. It comes in a folgers sized container, cheaper than the normal stuff. Pretty good taste even while drinking black
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I drink it black, fresh, hot, not too strong or bold. Sometimes on weekends I add hot skim milk.
  • kgj4105
    kgj4105 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee black 9/10 times, the exceptions being iced coffees I make at work and the espresso speciality drinks I treat myself to now and then. Lately I've been trying more cold brew coffee (adding hot water after the fact so I can still have my hot coffee in the morning) and it definitely has a different taste than the standard hot-brewed stuff. Experiment with different brew methods, light vs dark roast, different flavours of bean - there's probably something out there for you, but worst case, a touch of milk or sugar won't hurt here and there.