The Military diet

Options
Has anyone tried the Military diet?
Did it work? Would you give it another try? Would you recommend it?

~Thanks!

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's a glorified starvation diet. Input your stats into MFP, follow the recommended calorie goals (at least 1200 calories for women with the assumption that you eat back almost all of your exercise calories if you eat that low), and have patience (there's no way you're going to lose 10lbs of fat in 3 days unless you're seriously ill).
  • murlandpierre2016
    murlandpierre2016 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    It's a glorified starvation diet. Input your stats into MFP, follow the recommended calorie goals (at least 1200 calories for women with the assumption that you eat back almost all of your exercise calories if you eat that low), and have patience (there's no way you're going to lose 10lbs of fat in 3 days unless you're seriously ill).

Thanks!
    Not looking to lose 10lbs in 3 days, that's unrealistic.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    No. I just use mfp and I've lost 37 pounds toward my goal of 60 pounds. It hasn't been fast, but 6 months is fast enough for me and a lot healthier IMO.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    There are various forms of this diet, none of which are actually associated with any military, and a website that went up recently to cash in on the sweet ad revenue from people searching for this diet in google. Most of the versions appear to be vlcds with arbitrary food rules and wild claims. The Military Diet is not well liked around here.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Thanks!
    Not looking to lose 10lbs in 3 days, that's unrealistic.

3 very low calorie days of bizarre food combinations - no, just no.

The food combinations are designed to burn fat (FALSE) and boost metabolism (FALSE again). Food whether in combination, or alone doesn't do that.

This fad diet has been around for ages, and has been know by different names. Yet the hype has a brand new spin.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    There are various forms of this diet, none of which are actually associated with any military, and a website that went up recently to cash in on the sweet ad revenue from people searching for this diet in google. Most of the versions appear to be vlcds with arbitrary food rules and wild claims. The Military Diet is not well liked around here.

Yep. If you want to starve yourself, you can just not eat enough. No need for a fad diet. If you want to lose weight in a healthy manner, follow this advice:
    Input your stats into MFP, follow the recommended calorie goals (at least 1200 calories for women with the assumption that you eat back almost all of your exercise calories if you eat that low), and have patience.

• wendsg
    wendsg Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    You know, I've never heard of this diet. It snagged my attention, me being in the military and all, and I was curious as to what it entailed. Kind of a pity that no details (or a link to said details) are given here. :P
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    wendsg wrote: »
    You know, I've never heard of this diet. It snagged my attention, me being in the military and all, and I was curious as to what it entailed. Kind of a pity that no details (or a link to said details) are given here. :P

Hot dogs, saltines and ice cream. Zero nutrition and very low calorie. Nothing the military would ever endorse or follow.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

It's a violation of the MFP TOS to promote unsafe eating practices. This diet falls into that category, so posting a link would be against the rules.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

This used to be called (among other things) The 3 Day Diet, or the Kaiser Diet. Nothing whatsoever to do with the military. Hot dogs & ice cream....just nonsense.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    i did it as an experiment. went okay but i definitely dont recommend it as an actual "diet". I was more interested for my own curiosity than actual results because like you said 10 lbs in 3 days is super unrealistic.

I usually didnt feel too bad between breakfast and lunch but between lunch and dinner Id get so hungry Id get dizzy and I was hangry. Im assuminga result of the low calories. Not a good time. Lost 6.4 lbs though, if youre curious of my result and I kept it off (lost about 16 more since) with just following my mfp goals and moving more.

10/10 would not recommend.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    that site DOES have pretty tasty sounding meal ideas for the 4 "off days" of the diet though. That aren't ridiculous foods and are actually all healthy if I remember. Only thing Id recommend checking out there.
  • bkstein40
    bkstein40 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was in the Army for 21 years and had never heard of the military diet until today. I agree that it is just another fad diet that might work short term and the military would never support such unhealthy eating. If you want long term results, setup your MFP for just that. It will help you achieve a new lifestyle not another fad diet. I have lost 44 lbs over the last 8 months by just calories in vs calories out. No more miracle diet pills, fad diets, just simply logging my calories via MFP and logging my exercise using MapMyWalk and now a fit bit I have met my goal and have been maintaining.
  • murlandpierre2016
    Options
    i did it as an experiment. went okay but i definitely dont recommend it as an actual "diet". I was more interested for my own curiosity than actual results because like you said 10 lbs in 3 days is super unrealistic.

I usually didnt feel too bad between breakfast and lunch but between lunch and dinner Id get so hungry Id get dizzy and I was hangry. Im assuminga result of the low calories. Not a good time. Lost 6.4 lbs though, if youre curious of my result and I kept it off (lost about 16 more since) with just following my mfp goals and moving more.

10/10 would not recommend.

Thanks for answering my questions. I was curious, I'm not promoting anything. I am following MFP as well, am I thinking about trying the 3 day diet as an experiment...yes but not now.
    Thanks again.
  • murlandpierre2016
    Options
    that site DOES have pretty tasty sounding meal ideas for the 4 "off days" of the diet though. That aren't ridiculous foods and are actually all healthy if I remember. Only thing Id recommend checking out there.

Yes the 4 days off plan seems to me some-what better
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    bkstein40 wrote: »
    I was in the Army for 21 years and had never heard of the military diet until today. I agree that it is just another fad diet that might work short term and the military would never support such unhealthy eating.

An accurate military diet would consists of lots of carbs and high amounts of sodium. :lol:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    They're "okay" but I would avoid the Chicken-a-la-king. Those are nasty. The Tabasco sauce bottle would need to be 3 times bigger than what they give you to enjoy that one.

mre-contents-800.jpg
  • ctoavs76
    ctoavs76 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    They're "okay" but I would avoid the Chicken-a-la-king. Those are nasty. The Tabasco sauce bottle would need to be 3 times bigger than what they give you to enjoy that one.

mre-contents-800.jpg

ACK! My brother and I used to be so happy when my dad would bring MREs back from a field exercise when we were kids. I don't know what we were thinking!!!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that anyone suffering from the symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, or Compulsive eating make use of the resources offered by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. You may reach the ANAD hotline by phone in the US: 847-831-3438 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, Central Time) or on the web at http://www.anad.org/site/anadweb/

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

Thanks for your understanding,
    USMCMP
    MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.