running

Options
How do I work up to running?

Replies

• JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    A good way to start is run a little- like a block, then walk a block, run a block, etc. That's how I started:smile:
  • lawdhelpme2
    lawdhelpme2 Posts: 149
    Options
    Ok, thanks.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing listed above. I walk, run, walk, run, walk. I figure eventually I will be able to run the whole time.
  • Amberlin
    Amberlin Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Check out the c25k program. Couch to 5km that is, it's a run walk program to work up your endurance. I started there a year ago and am now training for my first half marathon! Good luck!
  • sincerehope
    sincerehope Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Google "Couch to 5K". I used this program back in March and over 9 weeks I went from running only for 60 seconds at a time to running an entire 5k without stopping. I never ran before starting this program and was skeptical I could complete it. But I did and now I'm a firm believer that it works as long as you put your mind to it! Good luck.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    My top tips are a bloody good tracklist on the mp3 player

Music really really makes a difference
  • kx2270
    kx2270 Posts: 6
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a great program.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    couch to 5k (c25k) is the best program out there.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I use Couch to 5K too and I love it!
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm doing C25K and loving it! I was in track in high school but I was a sprinter/long jumper. I absolutely hated it when we did distance running. It was torture and I couldn't understand why anyone would want to do it. LOL Now I'm turning into a runner myself.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Best running program I've seen or done is easily the couch to 5K program. Here's the link! Enjoy! It's AWESOME! :smile:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • notoriousgtt
    notoriousgtt Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just got on a treadmill and went till i couldnt put one foot in front of the other anymore. Eventually it built up and built up and now its second nature to run for 45 mins etc.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    like they all said, C25K

may I suggest you get outside instead of using the dreadmill whenever possible
  • lawdhelpme2
    Options
    So do I have to pay for the couch to k program?
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

NO!

There are lots of free ones around (a couple friends of mine wrote the original one which can still be had for free). DO NOT PAY FOR THIS INFO. Here's a link:

• lawdhelpme2
    Options

NO!

There are lots of free ones around (a couple friends of mine wrote the original one which can still be had for free). DO NOT PAY FOR THIS INFO. Here's a link:

[thanks lol]
  • ladybugz_247
    ladybugz_247 Posts: 120
    Options
    She is right, make sure you have a good playlist ready =)
    My top tips are a bloody good tracklist on the mp3 player

Music really really makes a difference
  • KeeleySue
    KeeleySue Posts: 158
    Options
    like they all said, C25K

may I suggest you get outside instead of using the dreadmill whenever possible

I love the treadmill. I'd much rather us it than run outside. To each their own. =)
  • lawdhelpme2
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I walk now and I am convinced to try to the couck to k program. Thanks :) I will let you know how it works.