Struggling with weight and depressed

Options
I started 30 day Shred yesterday.. I am 60 pounds overweight and I just feel terrible about myself, and i feel as if I just don't have the Drive to continue on with the exercise.. I don't know what to do, I know if I stick with it Ill see results soon, but I am not sure my mentality is right yet to do it, But I know I need to...

Replies

• Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Are you perhaps feeling like the 30 day shred is too much, at least right now? If this is the case you could work on some other form of exercise meanwhile and you could work up to the 30 day shred at a later point.

I had upped the incline on my treadmill, and was starting to resent walking on the thing, lol. I wasn't particularly thrilled with myself for having to put the incline back down..., but I'm glad I did as I simply wasn't ready. Fast forward a month or so, I upped the incline and found it very much doable.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You could focus on eating now in the beginning, and take up exercise after you have lost some weight. Or, you could find exercise you actually like. You could walk, or swim, or dance.
  • bgb1976
    bgb1976 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just look at myself and say you have to do this! But when I get home from working 10 hours a day driving 35 min each way, when I get home and cook for family, I am exhausted! I want to stay determined it is just tough.. I want to do the 30 day shred, just need that motivation to do so...
  • Vanessalookingood
    Vanessalookingood Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have been on my journey this time around since Jan 1. I know that we want this weight to be gone like yesterday, but I 've had to scale back on my workouts (I had shin pains from too much incline on the treadmill). I still do 1 hour 5x week (a mix of treadmill and bike) and have been losing steadily. People on this forum have been saying that diet is 80% importance whereas exercise is 20% so I personally think you may have better success sticking with it if you put more focus on eating within your daily calorie allotment versus "killing it" on the 30 day shred. Slow and steady wins the race...
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I definitely advise mental health before weight loss. By taking my time and really getting in a good head space, I feel incredibly confident that I will be successful. Take the time to find your reasons, so that your reasons for doing it are stronger than your reasons for NOT doing it.

I like to think about it this way:
    When I imagine my entire life, I can picture every moment. I see my relationship growing, I see myself aging, I know my goals and my direction. I do not picture a life lived on the couch. I don't picture evenings of TV night after night. I picture my hobbies, my passions, my partner, and a healthful life. I can't go from mindless eater couch sitter never walks anywhere to this life I want for myself (that is in line with my goals and passions). I do not feel PROUD of going to bed realizing I've been sat on the couch for THREE HOURS.

So since I can't make this move in one day, I just keep the goals in mind and move a step closer each day. I would not be able to do the workout you mention every day. My everyday is getting 30 active minutes anyway I want, and hitting 10k steps. It's just above my "natural" steps that I take without counting, but not so high that I ever have to walk laps around my apartment before bed :wink: Pick something truly sustainable. I do enjoy a tough workout once in a while, like the other day I did 30 mins on my M5 bowflex machine and I usually can only do 15. It felt great, especially knowing I could challenge myself and I wasn't required to do it again the very next day. The next day I just took the kids I work with to the zoo and made that my activity. You'll find what works for you, and it doesn't have to be 30 days of shredding in a row.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    On the days I am unable to workout (loss of motivation from long days is apart of it as well) I learn towards watching what I eat for the most part. This is the biggest part of losing weight.