Food scales...

Options
I've heard many times now that I should invest in a food scale to help with knowing precisely how much I'm truly eating. Any suggestions on good brands or ones you use and really like?

Replies

• carolerunsalot
    carolerunsalot Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have just a basic digital one at work and a digital one from weight watchers for home. Digital is definitely easier.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Walmart, Target, and bbbeyond have them.
    If you buy from a store, you have the luxury of easy returns.
    I have the biggest loser one from bbbeyond. Cost less than $20 with coupon.
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/153297-the-biggest-loser-6-6-lb-digital-kitchen-food-scale.html
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have had 2 of these - EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale, Silver.
    Good battery life.
    Auto off.
    11 pound capacity
    measures in gms, kg, lbs, and oz.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N07KUE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

4.6 out of 5 stars and nearly 8,400 reviews

Under $20 with shipping
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have just a non fancy digital Taylor. Either from Target or Walmart. Cost less than $20. Vital functions are the tare (or zero out) button, as well as the ability to weigh to the nearest gram or tenth of an ounce. Oh, and a button on the front to switch between grams and ounces (as opposed to a pain in the butt switch underneath).

ETA: Oh, and if you prefer, a scale that takes regular AA or AAA batteries is much more convenient than one that takes those weird, expensive button or coin shaped batteries.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    * I wrapped my scale in a gallon zip lock baggie. Since my hands are often dirty. It could keep it from getting wet. I replace the baggie monthly.
    It's thin and I can store it in a drawer.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    * I wrapped my in a zip lock baggie. Since my hands are often dirty. It could keep it from getting wet. I replace the baggie monthly.

This is brilliant. Mine still works, but the display is "weird" and hard to read from trapped moisture. I'll be relacing mine soon, and will use this trick.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have two. One is a really expensive one from William Sonoma with lots of bells and whistles (it was a gift, I would never buy one this fancy for myself) and one is a cheap one from Walmart. I've compared them and they are consistently the same within a gram or two at the most and I have never used the extra features on the expensive one. My advice is to buy a cheap one, if you want to trade up later, do so unless you really think you will use the extra features of the more expensive scale.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I read the reviews for the EatSmart Pro Digital Kitchen Scale on Amazon, and it got high marks from customers. I purchased it, and am 100% satisfied with it. Takes 2 AAA batteries.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Kamenstein - mine has one of those little round batteries that was referenced earlier, but it is still running after a year of regular use. I think they also have a model with an AC Adapter.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have the cheapie Ozeri that many have, and now use it at work. My only complaint was being able to see the numbers when I placed a full size dinner plate or similar on the scale. The readout was difficult to see. So I traded up for this one at home :

amazon.com/Ozeri-Epicurean-Removable-Weighing-Platform/dp/B005WLPVUG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458265865&sr=8-1&keywords=ozeri+epicurean+digital+kitchen+scale