Fat Burner Pills

Options
Does anyone take Performix SST? And if so how do you like it? Thanks In Advance!!

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    No, not here, I think that type of stuff can be kind of dangerous. Be careful if you're going to use it xo
  • debraparker0513
    debraparker0513 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    No I'm afraid to.. my sister recommended it just wondered if anyone on here takes them
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    There is no advantage to taking them. Cup of coffee is better
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    It's mostlikely just a stimulant and probably contains L carnitine. You'd be better off just counting your calories at a deficit of 250-500 a day along with regular exercise. Don't buy into the hype
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If they worked everyone would use them.......save your money and stick to the basics.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Nope - not wasting my money on pills. Calorie deficit is all I need.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not helpful, and I would never take them. At best, something calling itself "fat burner" is useless or gives placebo effect. At worst, it contains strong stimulants or other ingredients in excess of labeled amounts and could be dangerous for your heart, liver, and or kidneys.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
  • debraparker0513
    Options
    Yeah thanks everyone for the feedback.. was just curious I've done great with my diet alone and have always been scared to put something like that in my body. I've lost 30 pounds since Jan :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yeah thanks everyone for the feedback.. was just curious I've done great with my diet alone and have always been scared to put something like that in my body. I've lost 30 pounds since Jan :)

Outstanding!

• debraparker0513
    Options
    Thank you @BrianSharpe :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My friend is a pediatric cardiologist and deals with teens who have taken these types of pills, which eventually caused heart issues (especially women; seriously, like 90% of her patients are women).
  • debraparker0513
    Options
    I'm not taking them. Thanks!
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The only ones that do work are illegal... because they can kill you. Imagine lying in a hospital bed, all your calories being burned at an insane rate, and the doctors can only watch you die because you got greedy and took WAY more than you should have. Some bodybuilders use them but they are thorough with what compounds they put in their body (years of research and experience with other steroids).

The other option is doing an EC Stack - Ephedrine and Coffee. It works as an appetite suppressant, and people doing harder cuts (~ 1000 calorie deficit) use this, notably bodybuilders. The dosage can be found online. I suggest you do your research, because doing this incorrectly can hurt you. And you have to cycle off or else you risk damaging yourself.

Honestly though, no one should be doing ANY shortcuts until they do the basics of TDEE 10% to 20% deficit. I've seen people who rely on shortcuts before... all of them revert back to their old ways and gain all their weight back and are twice as discouraged as before.

Willpower and discipline. Use it. There are no true shortcuts. What you think is a shortcut ends up being a longer path that you pay for later on.

The longer it takes for you to get to your goals, the more permanent the changes. Count calories every day, lose ~1lb per week @ 500 calorie deficit, or .5lb per week @ 250 calorie deficit if you are a smaller person with less to lose. Following this, anyone can lose ~50lbs in a year. That's enough change for the rest of your life!
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with it. Based on my earlier research of various weight loss pills, it's likely one of three possibilities:

1) it's a very expensive placebo that does nothing. Not worth it. Buy a cheap fiber supplement and pretend it's a magic weight loss pill.

2) it's an expensive caffeine pill. Not worth it -- go buy caffeine at a more reasonable price elsewhere.

3) it has ingredients that may actually do something, but put your cardiovascular health at risk. Not worth it. Just no.

Looking at the ingredients, yeah the first (and usually most effective) ingredient is caffeine. See 2) above.

Next is synephrine, which is a vasoconstrictor, but not an FDA approved drug. This fits nicely into slot 3) above. Any high blood pressure in your history or your family's history? If so, stay the heck away from this stuff. The evidence that synephrine actually helps with weight loss is weak.

Last is Yohimbine. This actually has some better evidence to suggest it is helpful with weight loss. It also has been reported to cause feelings of anxiety, and raise cortisol levels, heart rate, and blood pressure. So also slot 3.
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    (replying to my own post)
    caurinus wrote: »
    Last is Yohimbine. This actually has some better evidence to suggest it is helpful with weight loss.

Please note that the evidence is still not very extensive. There was one study that concluded that it does help with fat loss in professional soccer players (a group famous for their obesity, right?). There was another study that tested average men, though it didn't say anything about their exercise habits. That group saw zero effectiveness in fat loss. There are probably other studies out there I'm not aware of.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think it's safe to say she isn't going to be taking them.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    (replying to my own post)
    Last is Yohimbine. This actually has some better evidence to suggest it is helpful with weight loss.

Please note that the evidence is still not very extensive. There was one study that concluded that it does help with fat loss in professional soccer players (a group famous for their obesity, right?). There was another study that tested average men, though it didn't say anything about their exercise habits. That group saw zero effectiveness in fat loss. There are probably other studies out there I'm not aware of.

Yohimbine has been banned here in Australia. Not sure about ephedrine, but is does ring a bell..

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Checkout the label, there's a large dose of caffeine (200mg) and that's about it. There's CLA in the serving which has no peer-reviewed human research that supports CLA does anything significant for "fat burning". A large dose of B-12 (1,000 mcg's) which I don't get when you're body requires something like 2.4mcg's, big waste of money. You can by 100mg caffeine pills by Pro-Lab for $10 / bottle if you just want caffeine.