Cutting Out Carbs

Options
Is there any substitutes if i decide to cut carbs all together?

Replies

• Super_mom
    Super_mom Posts: 185
    Options
    Is there any substitutes if i decide to cut carbs all together?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Yes- fat.

Here's how your body works:

It uses stored sugar called glycogen. It breaks it down into glucose when it needs to make energy.

When you are out of glycogen, it turns fat into things called ketones. Ketones can be used to make energy. Your body will also change protein into glucose, because the body always needs glucose.

It may seem odd to eat more fat than protein, but it's important to do so for several reasons:

Glucose is used in energy systems that produce very little energy. So too much protein and too little fat makes it hard for your body to make energy.

Protein metabolism leaves ammonia behind. It is quickly converted to urea, but very high amounts of protein (70%+) have been linked to kidney problems due mainly to dehydration, and dehydration is common with these types of diets. That's because there's no glucose to bind to water in the muscles.

Ketones from fat are used in energy systems that produce a lot more energy. This makes it easier for your body to make energy and it won't have to use as much muscle protein to make glucose.

It is not advisable to go without carbohydrates entirely without the involvement of a Dr. and ketone strips to monitor your ketone concentrations, which can let you know how hydrated you are. Don't do this if you're diabetic.
  • greeneyes490
    greeneyes490 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi super_mom,

I am currently following low carb ....and I wouldn't recommend removing carbs all together....your body needs them but you don't need as many as most people eat on a daily basis....I tried removing them all together and got sooooo lethargic, tired, had memory fog, slept alot etc...not fun at all.....but by limiting them it can have the opposite effect.....now I have more energy then I ever had and feel great.....as for substitutes I am not sure what you want to substitute...if your talking about bread there really isn't one....but if i have a slice then it is half of a slice of whole grain or rye bread......pasta...again i don't think there is a subsitute but i only eat pasta now a couple of times a month....I think it is about limiting and trying to take out the white stuff.....bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and making low carb healthy choices....I have been losing pretty steady the last few weeks that i have been focused on taking my carb intake way down and so far so good :).....if i eat low carb the majority of the time then when i do have the pasta or whatever it won't kill my week......oh and another side effect was that my carb/sugar cravings disappeared...wasn't expecting that but it was a nice side effect :)......hope that helps.....

I just read the previous post..... and yes I do eat more fat than I use to :)....that is also a nice perk :).......
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I should also add that you will feel bad for a few days after cutting carbohydrates out of your diet. It takes time for your body to begin producing ketones, and in that time period you'll feel tired, groggy, achy, and probably will have a headache.

While low/no-carbohydrate diets result in a fast initial weight loss, it's almost entirely water and glycogen, not fat. Principles of calories in/out still apply, and after a few months your weight loss will slow to the speed you'd see with a diet containing carbohydrates. When returning to a diet with carbs, you'll experience weight gain due to a reintroduction of glycogen and water to the muscles.
  • Super_mom
    Super_mom Posts: 185
    Options
    thanks for the advice, i love carbs and i sometimes have more of those
    that veggies, so should i just limit them like maybe for lunch and breakfast
    and none for dinner or have them for each of my meals, sometimes i tend to
    go overboard with rice and potatos
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    When you say carbs you must mean grains, as in breads, pastas, rice? Because fruits and vegetables contain carbs as well. Try simply balancing out your meals and monitoring your portions. For every serving of grains you have in a day try to match it with fruit or vegetable serivings. Whole grains are good for you as long as you aren't eating them in excessive amounts.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I LIVE for my carbs.... BUT... I have had to learn moderation.
    Rice, potatoes, pasta....it's all good stuff our bodies need....
    However, it doesn't usually NEED 2 cups of pasta and 4 slices of french bread!!!! :laugh:
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I think what matters most is that you are eating the right kinds of carbs.

You have to figure out the right ratio for you. I run, so right now, I'm testing 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat. I don't always meet the numbers, but that's what I'm testing. I need the carbs, and I find that when I don't have them, I feel awful.

But I try to eat the right carbs - whole grains, fruits and veggetables.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    thanks for the advice, i love carbs and i sometimes have more of those
    that veggies, so should i just limit them like maybe for lunch and breakfast
    and none for dinner or have them for each of my meals, sometimes i tend to
    go overboard with rice and potatos

I have nothing against carbohydrates...they're great sources of energy, and I use a lot of it. I followed a ketogenic (no carb) diet for almost a year, and I lost just as well without it.

If you like, you can go to My Home, then to Goals, and Change Goals, and choose Custom to choose what % of carbohydrates you want to eat. 40% is perfectly fine if you want to limit carbohydrates; MFP sets you at 60% by default but that's not necessary.

Carbohydrates don't make you fat. No nutrient does. So while you are welcome to group them in whatever way you like, it really won't make much of a difference. It's always best to pair a carbohydrate with a protein or fat to control blood sugar and keep you feeling more full. It's also helpful to eat carbohydrates and proteins after your workout to improve recovery.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Yes- fat.

It uses stored sugar called glycogen. It breaks it down into glucose when it needs to make energy.

When you are out of glycogen, it turns fat into things called ketones. Ketones can be used to make energy. Your body will also change protein into glucose, because the body always needs glucose.

It may seem odd to eat more fat than protein, but it's important to do so for several reasons:

Glucose is used in energy systems that produce very little energy. So too much protein and too little fat makes it hard for your body to make energy.

Protein metabolism leaves ammonia behind. It is quickly converted to urea, but very high amounts of protein (70%+) have been linked to kidney problems due mainly to dehydration, and dehydration is common with these types of diets. That's because there's no glucose to bind to water in the muscles.

Ketones from fat are used in energy systems that produce a lot more energy. This makes it easier for your body to make energy and it won't have to use as much muscle protein to make glucose.

It is not advisable to go without carbohydrates entirely without the involvement of a Dr. and ketone strips to monitor your ketone concentrations, which can let you know how hydrated you are. Don't do this if you're diabetic.

My nephew is on a diet like this one. He has a rare and severe seizure disorder and the diet is the only thing that has caused improvements in him. Trust me, you do not want to take on a diet like this. I have seen how he has to eat. Believe me any average person couldn't do it. All he can drink is straight water and a special cream that is carb free (remember, even dairy has carbs). Imagine DRINKING cream. He has to 4 times a day. Then his meals look like this: ham, cooked in a mixture of cream and butter (real, unsalted), a few broccoli trees and a couple strawberries. His gets very few carbs (through fruits and vegetables only) and my sister spends about 200$ on his groceries EVERY WEEK.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Yes- fat.

My nephew is on a diet like this one. He has a rare and severe seizure disorder and the diet is the only thing that has caused improvements in him. Trust me, you do not want to take on a diet like this. I have seen how he has to eat. Believe me any average person couldn't do it. All he can drink is straight water and a special cream that is carb free (remember, even dairy has carbs). Imagine DRINKING cream. He has to 4 times a day. Then his meals look like this: ham, cooked in a mixture of cream and butter (real, unsalted), a few broccoli trees and a couple strawberries. His gets very few carbs (through fruits and vegetables only) and my sister spends about 200$ on his groceries EVERY WEEK.

Actually, that's how Ketogenic diets came into popularity--they were actually used as treatment for epilepsy. When parents joined their kids, they lost a lot of weight. Ta-da, brand new diet.

It is definitely expensive. Lots of meat, lots of cream, lots of fresh non-starchy vegetables. That's part of the reason I quit...I HATE CHICKEN BREAST. :laugh: The steaks sure were tasty though.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    :sick: Cream :sick:

He is a brave guy!
    I have heard about them using diet to control issues like this and in many others.
    It's good to know something is helping. :smile:
  • liveagain
    liveagain Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would highly discourage cutting out carbs. Carbs, lipids, and proteins is where your body gets its energy from. They are a vary important part of a healthy diet. If you cut them out you will be depriving your body of not only energy, but also essential nutrients that are found in foods that contain carbs.

I suggest continuing to eat them, but do so in moderation and balance them with your lipids (fats) and proteins. Try making at least half of your grain intake to whole grains and keep your grain intake within that of the Nutrition Guidelines.