Running question...

Options
5 year MFP member here. I need some help with clothing suggestions for a 6 hour run. Temperature will be between 42-48 deg F. Sunny with winds around 12 MPH. I am an average height male with a medium-large build who runs around 6 MPH at about 75% exertion level. Appreciate the help.

Replies

• imogene912
    imogene912 Posts: 32 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    From top to bottom:
    Hat or visor
    Tech t-shirt, or a shirt that is made of wicking fabric
    Band aids for nipples (6hours is a lonnnng run!)
    Shorts
    Non-blister forming socks (I like Wright socks because they're doubled up so they don't cause blisters)
    Good shoes

Extras: hydration bottles or hydration backpack, body glide, road ID, sweat proof sunscreen
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    What did you wear when you were training for your 6hr long run?

That.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    nz_deevaa wrote: »

That.

Exactly!
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    nz_deevaa wrote: »

That.

Yep, don't ever suddenly try something new or different on a long run!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Whatever it is don't let it be new. :|
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Agreed.....nothing new.

I've never found band aids to be satisfactory protection against the dreaded bloody nipples, they fall off with perspiration. My go to has been an under armour compression top under my shirt, this with a long sleeve shirt should be fine for the temperatures, you'll be a bit cool to start but you'll warm up quickly enough.

If you've trained with them you may want to consider either compression socks or tights. The science is still a little dodgy as to their real benefits but, anecdotally, I've found that I feel a little less beat up wearing one or the other on my longer runs.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Leotard....
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Leotard....

....leopard print with shoulder pads....
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions and teases. I train indoors on the treadmill where temperature is always 70 deg. I wear shorts and a sleeveless shirt for that. I'd like to continue the dialog but I've got to go out and get a leopard print leotard for Sunday. Look for me on the news...
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you run indoors than 40-ish degrees will probably feel cool. So another layer then you usually run in, I do think that's too warm for gloves and a hat since you want want to carry that with you on such a long run. If you do insist on a leopard leotard remember to use body glide around the leg holes.
  • professorhuggins
    professorhuggins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I buy super cheap beanie and gloves from Wal-Mart and wear them to run. I shed the layer when I get hot and drive back to get them...being cheap takes the sting out when someone tosses them. Then on race day I do the same, except I trash them...and after using them and washing them throughout training the trash is an appropriate place for them to end up.
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Great tips...thanks all. I would up going with shorts and a long sleeve shirt. Lots of sunscreen and bandaids on the upper torso like Brian said. Oh, and a hat...Worked out perfectly.