How do you stay motivated during weeks with no weight loss?

Options
I'm having one of those weeks, and it's so frustrating! I know I ate too much salt and too many carbs - but I stayed with my calorie goals and exercised. I always get so down on myself when I don't lose, and I want to keep a positive attitude moving forward? What do you all do to stay positive after a disappointing week of no weight loss or weight gain?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Sodium and carbs will that to you. Don't let it discourage you. You can do this, honest!!
  • courtniekrebs
    courtniekrebs Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Well positive would be no gain right :) take it as a learning experience. If it was stress related or emotional eating come up with a plan. I'm an emotional eaterand have a horrible sweet tooth. Just know you're working hard.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Oh man, it can definitely be tough! I've gone through many of these periods. Currently going through one of those periods! (Been fluctuating the same 5lb for a couple months).

What I do:
    1) remember that if you keep pushing through it and be patient, you will see the results you want.

2) Always set fitness goals and keep going after them for something to focus on. Whether it's running a certain amount of miles, doing so many sit ups, lifting so much, etc. just keep chasing those goals so you're focused on something and you will progress.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I recommend using an app to track your weight trend. Something like Happy Scale or Libra. They smooth out those pesky fluctuations to let you see what's actually happening with your weight.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I've found it's instructive to track your daily weight for a month or so. You'll see ups and downs, and periods when nothing seems to be happening. But the overall trend will be downward. That's the important thing, not the daily fluctuations.

Looking at my data, I've been running a 500 calorie per day deficit for the past several months -- and a pound of fat has 3500 calories in it. Guess how much weight I lose per week? Exactly what you'd expect -- 1 pound per week.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Results of a calorie deficit will (dis)appear eventually.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    How do you stay motivated during weeks with no weight loss?
    • I remind myself to 'believe in the process'. This really does help me.
    • Look back to my starting weight. This helps to see how much work I've invested over the months, days and weeks, which I think is important. It is supposedly harder to walk away from things we've invested in, be that time or money.
    • Have other goals in my sights. My past nutrition hasn't been the best, so I've been taking closer looks into recommended daily macro-micro nutrients, and doing my best to educate myself about them, and hit them. Pleased to say, diet is looking way more balanced than it has probably ever been in years.
    • Outside of weighing ourselves, we can take body measurements, and progress pictures, to refer back on. Usually, at least one of these things will reveal our results to us.
  • guacamole1
    guacamole1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I've been using MFP to track my weight, and macros have been on my radar much more lately as being culprits in stalled weight. I cut out sugar a few weeks ago and felt a big difference in how I feel - more energy, fewer emotional fluctuations. I've cut back on carbs, but "white" carbs. Maybe I need to pull back even more. Salt is always a challenge - I don't eat salty snacks, but everything seems to have salt in it.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    guacamole1 wrote: »
    Thanks, everyone. I've been using MFP to track my weight, and macros have been on my radar much more lately as being culprits in stalled weight. I cut out sugar a few weeks ago and felt a big difference in how I feel - more energy, fewer emotional fluctuations. I've cut back on carbs, but "white" carbs. Maybe I need to pull back even more. Salt is always a challenge - I don't eat salty snacks, but everything seems to have salt in it.

1 week with no loss is actually pretty normal. Weight loss isn't linear. Well at least not when you look at it weigh-in to weigh-in. The trend will most likely show a linear weight loss, but you need to use something like happy scale, libra, or trendweight.com (fitbit and withings accounts sync to this site) to see the trend.

I would seriously download libra or happy scale and plug in your last couple weigh ins (the more weigh in's you give it the more accurate the trend will be).
  • reginastiffler
    reginastiffler Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I use happy scale to smooth out my body's fluctuations, plus seeing my change over time is hugely motivating. I also like to open up my workout tracker for motivation. Like "wow, I did all of that."
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to fluctuations. I can go up by three pounds in a day. Clearly it's not three pounds of fat unless my cat has been secretly force-feeding me all night long while I sleep, and frankly he's just not that ambitious, particularly when there are no cat toys involved.

I stay patient by just thinking about this as something I'll be doing for the rest of my life - the only real difference between weight loss and weight maintenance is portion size. Day to day changes are effectively useless, the long term trends matter.
  • RebelPatriot77
    RebelPatriot77 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Oh man, it can definitely be tough! I've gone through many of these periods. Currently going through one of those periods! (Been fluctuating the same 5lb for a couple months).

What I do:
    1) remember that if you keep pushing through it and be patient, you will see the results you want.

2) Always set fitness goals and keep going after them for something to focus on. Whether it's running a certain amount of miles, doing so many sit ups, lifting so much, etc. just keep chasing those goals so you're focused on something and you will progress.

To fluctuate 5lbs would be a blessing, I've been fluctuating 2 for months!!!!!!!

My advice is to try something new.... if you've been running for your exercise try dancing. Or change up your eating riutine--not drastically!!! Sometimes we just get stuck, and changing something small gives us a little uhmph
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It's probably poop.
  • rockemjr27
    rockemjr27 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is the hardest obstacle I ever had in my life. This app and the people keep you motivated. So let all lose this weight together
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    ekat120 wrote: »
    It's probably poop.

Lol, but true. I remind myself (if it's the case) that it's just that. Or a little bloat, etc.

I've purposely chosen a very slow weightloss (about 2 lbs per MONTH). Scale moves so slowly it appears to be at a standstill more often than not. What helps me is to look back a month, 2 months, or more. Yep, I still weigh less than I did on Jan 1, Feb 13, etc. I'm still winning! :)
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    This week I haven't seen a loss. Whenever that happens I do to things. #1 Look at my diary #2. Look at my calendar.
    It's either I didn't have enough of a deficit or it's "that time" Either way, I don't panic I just keep moving forward and make small corrections when I need to
  • guacamole1
    guacamole1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Today the scale went down, even though I had Chinese food last night and was sure it would go up! I know I'm dithering over water weight when it's a question of going up and down 1 or 2 pounds. It's my infantile brain that gets all happy when I see a lower number, and gets all sad when I see a slightly higher number or the same number too many days in a row. I am definitely coming back here to reread on those days I feel frustrated. Thanks!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Today the scale went down, even though I had Chinese food last night and was sure it would go up! I know I'm dithering over water weight when it's a question of going up and down 1 or 2 pounds. It's my infantile brain that gets all happy when I see a lower number, and gets all sad when I see a slightly higher number or the same number too many days in a row. I am definitely coming back here to reread on those days I feel frustrated. Thanks!

Yes, do re-read these responses when you start feeling frustrated and keep in mind that the scale is only ONE way of measuring your health and weight loss. Use a tape measure and keep track of your measurements. Often, no loss on the scale does result in losses via measurements. Whether you do or don't lose body weight or inches you can still measure your progress by how you feel because taking care of your body is always a positive. Becoming healthy from the inside out is the key.

In other words, treat the scale as just one item on the list of ways you track your progress. Giving it the #1 spot and all the power is not a good idea.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Actually, I think your bigger issue is unrealistic expectations of linearity in weight loss. It's not a linear function...you don't lose X Lbs every week...sometimes you have larger losses, sometimes smaller, sometimes none, and sometimes even gains on the scale. Weight loss and weight management in general is about long term trends.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm having one of those weeks, and it's so frustrating! I know I ate too much salt and too many carbs - but I stayed with my calorie goals and exercised. I always get so down on myself when I don't lose, and I want to keep a positive attitude moving forward? What do you all do to stay positive after a disappointing week of no weight loss or weight gain?

I remember how much better off I am now than I was when I started. If I never lose another pound I have improved the quality of my life and my health so much already. I am not in pain or out of breath. I wear smaller clothes. I can keep up with my family when we walk somewhere. I can touch my toes. I am at my lowest weight in 5 years and that is pretty positive. I'm not giving up just because the number on the scale doesn't move for awhile.