Anyone recovered from Hip Bursitis?

Options
colors_fade
colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
How long was your recovery? Did it ever come back? Did you have to maintain some kind of specific hip exercise and stretching regimen to prevent it from returning.

I'm in PT now for mine. I can finally do light squats (dumbell or kettlebell). It was just aggravating to have this happen after making such great progress on my lifts for two years.

Curious what other people have experienced. Anxious to get back to "normal" so I can squat and deadlift again.

Replies

• festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I had bursitis in my knee and it took probably 2 months before it went away completely. Nothing special besides icing when it flared up.
  • colors_fade
    Options
    festerw wrote: »
    I had bursitis in my knee and it took probably 2 months before it went away completely. Nothing special besides icing when it flared up.

I had bursitis in my knee a few years ago. The hip bursitis is turning out to be a completely different animal.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Then I hope I never get it because that was painful enough. Hope you have a quick recovery.
  • Malenurse51
    Malenurse51 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have it, have had it for years. Had it injected once. It wasn't a big deal because the injection site isn't deep into the tissue (small needle). It helped for a couple of months and then came back. I know about it if I sit for more than 45" at a time. It makes airline travel a pain in the a**, but I guess that's the whole issue, isn't it?
  • TammerTammer
    TammerTammer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had it I my hip, after a round of steroid therapy, about 1 month.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I have it. I was dancer when I was younger, and I'm afraid that life is not kind to one's body. It comes and goes, usually when I overdo it or do something stupid. This most recent flare-up, though, my doctor is attributing to my 'walking wrong' because of my runner's knee. I'm in PT right now for the knee thing, and my therapist expects that if we can correct the knee problem, the hip problem will resolve.
    Flare-ups in the past have lasted about 2 weeks, and I've found that icing after activity, and making sure I stand and stretch after sitting for a long period of time helps recovery happen faster.
    It sucks, and I'm sorry you have it! :(
  • colors_fade
    Options
    I have it. I was dancer when I was younger, and I'm afraid that life is not kind to one's body. It comes and goes, usually when I overdo it or do something stupid. This most recent flare-up, though, my doctor is attributing to my 'walking wrong' because of my runner's knee. I'm in PT right now for the knee thing, and my therapist expects that if we can correct the knee problem, the hip problem will resolve.
    Flare-ups in the past have lasted about 2 weeks, and I've found that icing after activity, and making sure I stand and stretch after sitting for a long period of time helps recovery happen faster.
    It sucks, and I'm sorry you have it! :(

Thanks.

I developed it in November. Decided to go the injection/steroid route first because I thought that would cure it. But it seems my bursitis is caused by a severe imbalance in my hip strength.

My PT person did a test where they have me lay on my side, and lift my upper lug toward the ceiling, then they press down on it. On my right (good) side I could press back. On my left (bursitis) side, she pressed down like it was nothing. I couldn't resist; it was like I had no muscles to fight back with and my leg just laid down.

My therapist says they see this frequently in people (like me) who do a lot of strength training/powerlifting. We do a lot of linear movements with no lateral strengthening exercises. I've been doing the PT for about 5 weeks now. I can finally do dumbbell squats now without pain. But I can't do a lunge yet or run; I can still feel the bursitis if I try those things.

Hoping to get the imbalance taken care of and the bursitis will go away. I really miss squats and deadlifts. I had been making such good progress.

Appreciate the comments.